MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. (/showthread.php?tid=431)

The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - otis - 06-18-2007

Dear Reader,

Subject: The Neil Brooks method of vision improvement

On poster here recommends this method.

He states that it is great to cure his refractive errors.

I think that all "voices" should be heard.  Since
this is recommended -- here is the study that
confirms the effect.

I am in favor of any method that works
FOR YOU.

I believe this is very similar to Palming and Sunning
in that you are attempting to relax the eye
and improve your refractive errors.

Otis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The effect of periocular warming on accommodation.

Takahashi Y, Igaki M, Suzuki A, Takahashi G, Dogru M, Tsubota
K. Department of Ophthalmology, Jikei University School of
Medicine, Tokyo, Japan.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:genichirot@aol.com">genichirot@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

PURPOSE: To investigate the effect of periocular warming on
accommodation amplitude and near vision after prolonged
near work in visual display terminal (VDT) workers in an
office setting.

DESIGN: Prospective interventional observational case series.

PARTICIPANTS: Ten healthy Japanese male volunteers (mean age,
39.3 +/-2 years [range, 36-43]) with a best distance
corrected visual acuity (VA) of >20/20 who performed near
work for 7 hours were included in the study.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: The differences of subjective and
objective accommodations, near acuity, and pupil diameters
were compared and studied in 2 experimental settings with
and without periocular warming.

METHODS: Two experiments were performed on each subject on 2
different days. In one experiment, the subjects wore an
eye mask and closed their eyelids for 10 minutes after 7
hours of VDT work (lid closure [LC] group). In the other
experiment, the subjects applied warming sheets (WSs) to
their eyelids and the periocular region and wore masks for
10 minutes again after 7 hours of VDT work (WS group).
Visual display terminal work was performed under the same
settings on both days. Subjective and objective
accommodations, near vision, and pupil diameters were
measured immediately before and immediately after the
resting or warming procedure and again 90 minutes after
the resting or warming procedures.

RESULTS: Fifty percent of eyes had an increase in the
accommodation amplitude of at least 0.5 diopters
immediately after application of the WSs. Forty percent
of eyes still maintained the accommodation amplitude level
at 90 minutes. The mean near logarithm of the minimum
angle of resolution VA immediately after application of
WSs and at 90 minutes significantly improved relative to
the near acuity values after simple eyelid closure.

CONCLUSION: Periocular warming was found to be associated with
increases in subjective and objective accommodations, with
a concomitant improvement in near VA. Periocular warming
with disposable WSs is a simple and effective method of
increasing near work-related ergonomy.

=============

One problem.

A sample size of n = 10, is too small to
draw valid scientific conclusions.

Just one man's opinion.

Otis

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - NoBones - 06-18-2007

1) He never presented it as any sort of cure for hyperopia or any other sort of "refractive error." 

It would be better for all concerned if you were honest about such things;

2) A sample size of 10, in a controlled study, is better than an anecdote, no?

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - NoBones - 06-18-2007

Otis Wrote:What is your relationship with Neil Brooks?

A friend?  An expert?  Are you a layman,
or an expert?

Neil Brooks is the only person I know who
even KNEW about periocular warming.

Are you suggesting that periocular warming
his a "nice" thing to do -- but has no effect,
other than the effect that Sunning and Palming
have on accommodation?

Also, most scientists will not draw LONG conclusions
for a sample size of n = 10.

The sample size should be at least 50.

Also, this is not about NoBones, who has no
name, but about Neil Brooks, not you.

Otis

I learned about the method.

I posted the method.

You posted the study.

It's about what the study says it's about.

David?  Can you reel this guy in??

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - anonym - 06-18-2007

Thanks, Otis, for posting this useful information.

Definitely, for me, job-working on computer, frequently 7 days a week full-time plus, is the single greatest impediment in my path to near-vision recovery. Like Sisyphus, my near-vision improvement gained each day through Bates Method techniques falls back the next day in proportion to time spent on computer performing work that requires concentrative attention to detail.

By the way, I tested my IVAC Snellen and had no problem with 20/20 at 9 and 16 feet (the latter being as far away from computer as my current space permits.) The IVAC program would not display 20/15 at those distances.

Best regards, Catherine (Σίσυφος)

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - otis - 06-18-2007

Dear Catherine (Σίσυφος),

Subject:  Neil Brooks method.

I am pleased you checked your Snellen.  This
truly is the best way to know what you are doing.

I am certain you will work on presbyopia the same
way.

I just talked to a young man who was given
a prescription of -2 diopters.  (Which is a
SERIOUS amount of myopia.)  When he
went home, and checked his IVAC Snellen
he could pass the 20/30 line.

So either he had short-term pseudo-myopia,
and a sudden recovery, or the -2 diopter
was a serious measurement error, or
"over-prescription".

You only find this out by doing you own
checking.

I am pleased your distant vision is so good.

Otis

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - David - 06-18-2007

Catherine,

Keep in mind that it's more about the way you look at a computer screen that causes your relapse, not the screen itself. Once you start learning how to use your eyes better away from the computer, you can then start applying it to computer use. When you do that successfully, it won't have that effect on your eyes.

David

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - anonym - 06-19-2007

Hello, dear David,

Yes, you are absolutely correct that it is insufficient degree of relaxation (strain) that is the factor exacerbating blurring during work on computer.

I experience this as true when I practice swinging while sitting in my swivel chair in front of the computer. When, without trying to focus on screens or any object, my eyes lightly pass over the monitors, I see the contents on the screens appear completely clear.

When reading in general with good indoor lighting, my near-vision is definitely much better. That is because when I am reading, for instance, a book, I feel at ease to take my time, don't worry about mistakes and I deliberately apply Bates Method techniques in a relaxed way. But when I am working on computer, my concern with not making mistakes causes strain. Also, it is similarly easier for me to keep Bates Method in the forefront of my mind when engaged in all types of general activities that do not involve reading.

My computer-associated strain is classic presbyope psychology and characteristic traits presenting as habituation to placing concern with "other" before concern with "self".  To the extent that I give the other's image of me in terms of their perception of the quality of my work greater priority than my own goal of near-vision recovery, I am still a functional presbyope.

Learning to successfully relax in order see more clearly while working is proving to be the real litmus test of my progress in recovering natural vision. So I am beginning to understand the difference between learning about Bates Method and practicing Bates Methods the right way so that good vision habits return to functionality on the subconscious level.

Warm regards, Catherine

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - Mihai_alexandru - 07-23-2008

What is periocular warming exactly?

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - Ram - 07-23-2008

periocular means around the eyes ( introcular is within the eye). I suppose it some kind of warm compress around the eyes. ( like eyelid bath)

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - NoBones - 09-04-2008

From other sites, here's what I learned:

Some people make their own "corn bags" or "rice bags" (you can Google this).

They wam the bag moderately, in a microwave, then place the warm bag over their closed eyes. Be careful not to make the bag hot (for obvious reasons).

When I was having trouble with dry eyes, not only did this help improve my vision, but it also helped relieve my dry eye symptoms. Something about thinning the secretions of one of the glands that produces part of the tear film.

Though I've had trouble with "pseudomyopia," I've never had anything like what they call "axial myopia." When they dilate my eyes, it's always a zero prescription.

Doing this periocular warming thing, along with the other elements that Brooks recommended, has worked pretty well for me Smile

I'll check in from time to time. Take care.

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - itsme - 09-05-2008

Maybe I should have started a new thread, but I once tried Dr. Christopher's Cayenne eyewash, as it
was reported it cured eyesight. The cayenne really stung my eyes, however, you could control the amount you put into the 'tea'. I used it 2x a day for a couple months and noticed that colours became very vibrant
and sharp. My eyes, also, just glowed. Unfortunately because of time restriction and travel ( and the fact that
I always looked like I had been crying afterward !) I aborted the method. If I had
kept going, it's hard to know how much improvement it would have done.. I probably could
have broken through the threshold of discomfort, as well.. Ah, I may try it again someday..
If you are interested, here is the website and the recipe:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.herballegacy.com/Herbal_Eyebright.html">http://www.herballegacy.com/Herbal_Eyebright.html</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://effectiveinternettools.com/cgi-bin/data/mail.cgi/archive/hfrlist/20010119120000/">http://effectiveinternettools.com/cgi-b ... 119120000/</a><!-- m -->
Excerpt:
'The formula contains a number of different herbs, each having #
their own function. Cayenne pepper stimulates the eye tissue and #
improves circulation. Golden seal root kills any infection or #
bacteria. Bayberry bark and red raspberry promote the growth of #
new, healthy eye tissue. The single biggest ingredient is #
eyebright, an herb which has been used to cure eye problems for #
the last seven hundred years, both here in America and Europe.

Many people see quick results with the preparation; Dr. #
Christopher discovered this by telling people to use it directly #
on the eyes as an eye wash. In this manner, the herbs are soaked #
directly into the eyes tissues and work within minutes. Often, #
within a week people notice mucus and puss coming out of their #
eyes when they wake up. This is simply damaged cells and toxic #
material which are being purged from the eyes.'

Regards, Its Smile me

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - clarknight - 09-06-2008

I have read that eyebright produces some kind of health problem and is not healthy for the eyes.
I forgot where i read these two different articles.
Do research on herbs before trying. find a good herb book and web sites that do not sell herbs, that only tell the truth about the benefits and side effects.
Example;
Bilberry as a food is healthy for the eyes, body.
Heath food businesses also sell bilberry leaf.
The leaf is contains substances that impair health.
Anything that impairs health of the body also affects the eyes.

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - itsme - 09-06-2008

I don't want to enter a debate over this, but eyebright has been great for me. I have used it on a handful of occasions
throughout the years for treating minor eye irritations... and then of course the eyewash. There's always the possibility you could be allergic to something but the risks are rare compared to the millions of people who take medication drugs every single
day for years. If you look on the internet you will always find a ' for' and 'against' ( Quackwatch).

Regards, Its Smile me

Re: The Neil Brook's Vision Cure for Hyperopia. - Ram - 09-07-2008

Righto, there are many sites where the Bates method is called quackery. But we cant know the truth without trying.

Having said that, I still think that we dont have to rely on any medicines, drops, contact lenses and other ingredients to improve our eyesight. Because all these are not addressing the primary cause of myopia - which is all about some defect in the mind/eye coordination due to a kind of deep mental strain. So whatever way you improve your eyesight ( using glasses, medicines, eye drops, lenses etc) the cure will be temporary because the root cause is still unaddressed. The quicker the way you choose to treat your eye disease the less effective it will be. It is easy to "cure" myopa by wearing glasses but it is the least effective long term solution.

The eye muscles are really very strong by default. Very few people have poor vision due to weak eye muscles. The eye muscles in humans are several hundred times stronger than what they need to be to give us normal eyesight. It is impossible to improve vision by 'strenghtening' the already strong muscles. It is possible to improve vision only by properly using the eyes, which in turn depends on properly training the mind to see. You have everything you need to see - you just need to understand how to use these instruments effectively. Depending on external devices of any kind causes the eye to become dependent on them and loose its natural ability to see.