MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re: Does normal vision vary? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re: Does normal vision vary? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Re: Does normal vision vary? (/showthread.php?tid=437)

Does normal vision vary? - ROL - 06-21-2007

Hi all, I am a believer in the Bates method, and it has helped me a lot in improving my vision to a considerable level. I have often seen people asking: Do you realise that your vision fluctuates? Some days you see better, some days worse....Also a quote from Dr Bates's book: 

.....When we understand, however, how the shape of the eyeball is controlled by the external muscles, and how it responds instantaneously to their action, it is easy to see that no refractive state, whether it is normal or abnormal, can be permanent. This conclusion is confirmed by the retinoscope....

I do wonder does people with normal sight see 'bad' at certain times too? But they don't notice it? Because for me I normally see quite well nowadays, e.g. can read signboards far away, but there are moments when I'm tired, or when my tummy feels bad, or when I feel some 'strain' in my eye, I see 'bad' as well, it could be double vision or a slight blur for far away objects (which cause me to strain unknowingly). It can also vary during the day. My vision tends to be poorer in the mornings and gets better as the day goes by. Do you guys have any opinions on this?

Regards,
ROL

Re: Does normal vision vary? - David - 06-21-2007

Yes, and I can think of several people I know with normal sight who have had times that it's gotten bad. In fact I can't think of anyone I've known well and long that I can't remember at one time or another not being able to read something others could, like a whiteboard at school, but the problem went away.

Sometimes poor vision is just a signal that something is wrong.

David

Re: Does normal vision vary? - otis - 06-21-2007

Question:  Does your vision (Snellen) change
during the day -- and long periods of close work?

ROL>  I do wonder does people with normal sight see 'bad' at certain times too? But they don't notice it? Because for me I normally see quite well nowadays, e.g. can read signboards far away, but there are moments when I'm tired, or when my tummy feels bad, or when I feel some 'strain' in my eye, I see 'bad' as well, it could be double vision or a slight blur for far away objects (which cause me to strain unknowingly). It can also vary during the day. My vision tends to be poorer in the mornings and gets better as the day goes by. Do you guys have any opinions on this?

Dear ROL,

I promote vision-clearing for pilots (because they have
the motivation for it).  As a result I asked them to
montor their Snellen extensively, and report it.

The result was that they reported their Snellen changin
from 20/20 to 20/50 during the day.

So no single "reading" (like in an office) can ever
be very accurte.  It would be completely possible
to get a -2 diopter prescription, when your
Snellen was 20/30. 

(I can confirm this.)

So be very careful with any prescription you might
get.  It would be wise to double-check this yourself.

Otis

Re: Does normal vision vary? - Urban - 08-27-2007

The trouble is that people lack the ability to confirm their prescription themselves, lacking expensive equipment, all we can do is confirm our Snellen reading, or purchase our glasses though a resource that allows us to set our own prescriptions, thereby ensuring that our prescriptions are continually improving.