MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re: How to read correctly - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re: How to read correctly - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Re: How to read correctly (/showthread.php?tid=462)

Pages: 1 2

Re: How to read correctly - Scarecrow - 08-16-2007

There's rarely any difference in .25 diopters up or down in day-to-day use. I and my eye doctor agreed that i should use -1.5 contacts, and then contact the optician as soon as i see clearly with them. Since i have to use contacts on a day to day basis, i will try to work my way down by lowering my prescription often.

Re: How to read correctly - apavel - 08-16-2007

I would suggest getting glasses instead of contacts.
Aside from harboring bacteria, lowered oxygen absorption, non-apparent sensitivity to the eye, and slow damage to the cornea, glasses can be used sparingly only when needed.  Bates strongly encouraged to throw them out, the least you can do is wear glasses them only when necessary - ESPECIALLY if your original prescription was -2.0D.  Considering there are people attempting to improve from -8D prescriptions by getting a -5D under-prescription, I don't think you have much of an excuse for reducing by -0.5D, no offense. 
If you want my personal opinion, I don't think you'll get very far like this.  Maybe someone else could give you a different opinion.

Paul

Re: How to read correctly - Scarecrow - 08-19-2007

Maybe, but I have an important school year ahead and I can't just throw it away to practice Bates. 20/20 vision is important, not just some times, but all the time to function socially. So my real option is to lower it slowly, and try to get an effect with contacts on.

Re: How to read correctly - bkowalski - 08-20-2007

Scarecrow, glasses are a way better option, for all the reasons Paul gave and because you can take them off and put them on easily.  Many on this forum believe in entirely discarding corrective lenses, but reducing the prescription has worked for me.  However, I wear my glasses less than 50% of the time, and I use a prescription that corrects my vision to 20/40 or 20/50.  I believe you'll be wasting your time by wearing 20/20 lenses most of the time. 

Re: How to read correctly - Scarecrow - 08-21-2007

Yeah, i agree in that concolusion. But i'm in a phase of my life where that's difficult. But I will at least try to lower my prescription when i feel comfortable with the previous strength (going down to 1.25 soon, thats 0.75 lower than before the summer).

Re: How to read correctly - Daniel - 10-21-2012

I'm bringing this up, because it reminds me of some things that have been discussed recently. I wonder how things worked out for Scarecrow. It's a real shame that s/he insisted on wearing contacts with such mild myopia.

Re: How to read correctly - Daniel - 11-02-2012

-2 is indeed mild on the myopia scale, but thinking more about this I can see Scarecrow's perspective. My understanding is that -2 means that your vision starts to blur at a distance of half a meter (about 20 inches). If the print on the board is small, then you might not be able to read it even from the front row. In general you could recognize people from a fair distance, but perhaps not from as far as you would like. And to some degree you'd be oblivious to detail, which can be important, when something is being demonstrated for example. If you don't realize that you're missing something, you won't put on your glasses.

A middle ground for mild-to-moderate myopes would be to wear glasses all the time at school except when doing near-work. But that obviously wouldn't work with contacts, and some people aren't willing to wear glasses that much.