MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Farsightedness - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Farsightedness - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Farsightedness (/showthread.php?tid=47)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Farsightedness - Farsighted - 11-29-2007

Because anytime I have read his stuff its all about minus lenses, myopia and shortsight.

Re: Farsightedness - Urban - 11-29-2007

Well, its exactly the same as this forum really. Considering the vastly superior numbers of myopic individuals, most advice is directed towards myopic people. That being said I do believe there is significant precedent for hyperopic people curing their vision. I look like a fool here, but I can't remember how to spell prespeteria, what old people wear reading glasses for.

Anyway, modern optometry has been forced to cobble together a jerry rigged theory for how someone can exhibit the characteristics of myopia and hyperopia at the same time, but Bates explains it perfectly. Those people strain when they look into the distance and strain when they look up close. Bates' principles apply for both conditions.

Re: Farsightedness - David - 11-29-2007

Bates was a bit more prolific about myopia because he worked with so many kids, and their problem was usually myopia, but he does write about hyperopia a lot too. I believe he has a whole chapter on it in his book, and many articles about it in his magazines.

Dave

Re: Farsightedness - Farsighted - 12-15-2007

Just got my new glasses which I bought online. They are -1s. Just put them on and they don't alter my sight that much at all so I'm wondering should I have went stronger?

Printed off Joel Schneider's Snellen and could read as far as EDFCZP with my contacts (LE+2.25 RE +2.75), without my contacts and with the minus glasses on !

I don't understand now how I can read chart with or without glasses...doesn't make sense....what are my glasses for?

Much prefer these new glasses, aesthetically they look way better and I can feel my vision adjusting to them already!

Re: Farsightedness - David - 12-15-2007

This thread isn't related to the Bates method anymore, I'm moving it to the "Eyesight Side Topics" forum.

Dave

Re: Farsightedness - otis - 12-15-2007

Dear Farsighted,

Subject: Wearing a -1 diopter, to change your refractive STATE by -1 diopter.

This is complete EXPECTED. The -1 diotper cause you no problem. But over-time,
if you wear them all the time, it is expected that your current positive refractive
STATE will "reduce" by one diopter.

Your visual acuity is EXCELLENT. (Count your lucky stars!)

I would wear them for several months, and that should "reduce" your
"farsightedness".

Keep on posting -- and enjoy.

Otis

Re: Farsightedness - Farsighted - 12-15-2007

Otis,

Can I ask why I am prescribed plus glasses when I can see the same line on the Snellen with or without them?

Re: Farsightedness - otis - 12-15-2007

Dear Farsighted,

Only by rather bad and convoluted "logic" can I explain why ANYONE put you into a "plus" lens -- when
with you excellent distant (and near) vision -- you never needed it.

The "plus" in your case, only encourages your refractive STATE to move more positive (not negative).

As long as you can confirm your Snellen as PASSING the legal visual-acuity requirment (read
3/4 inch letters at 20 feet), then you are in good shape.

In the same sense that a plus (worn all the time) encourages the eye to move "more positive", so
the effect of the minus is to encourage the eye to move "more negative".

In fact the preferred refractive STATE of the natural eye should be in the range of +1/2 to +1 diopters
for the age from 5 years old to age 40. Big Grin

Best,

Otis

Re: Farsightedness - Farsighted - 12-16-2007

Otis,

If I go back to optician the next time, will I ask for my contacts to be in a way lower prescription? I asked before but he said that my eye muscles would be under too much pressure and I would just get headaches. Continuing at the mo to wear the minus glasses, they are not great for reading, any tips for that?

Thanks.

Re: Farsightedness - otis - 12-16-2007

Dear Farsighted,

Your asked for an Internet site that proved the effect
of both a minus and plus lens on the refractive STATE
of the eye. Here it is: Big Grin

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/otisbrown17268/FundEye.html">http://www.geocities.com/otisbrown17268/FundEye.html</a><!-- m -->

Your current refractive STATE is +2.5 diopters (i.e., you can
read the Snellen through a +2 diopter lens.)

You want your refractive STATE to move NEGATIVE.

As demonstrated by placing a -3 diopter lens on the eye -- the
refractive STATE moves negative by about -2 diopters in
six months.

Best,

Otis

Re: Farsightedness - Bifocal - 05-19-2008

An update on my progress. in June of 07 I last saw my optometrist. I returned this month ( May 08 ), and had not worn any glasses since the last exam. I had been having a lot of distance blur after close work. According to my snellen I have gone from 20/40 to 20/60 in each eye, and after close work to 20/80 each. Sad According to my optometrist it is 20/100 each. :o She wants me to wear minus 2.00 lenses full time, with a bifocal add of plus .50.I instead have returned to wearing the minus 1.00 lenses full time. They seem good for the close work, and the distance blur is only intermittent when I wear them. My snellen with them is 20/20, but after close work drops to 20/40.They again give me incredible clarity, and make my eyes feel very relaxed. If I continue to need these lenses, it wont be too bad compared to the coke bottle plus bifocals that I required before. Smile

Re: Farsightedness - Bifocal - 05-19-2008

I forgot to mention that she wanted to put some astigmatic cylinder in the lenses, and put some minus 2.25 lenses in a trail frame for me to try. The clarity was incredible. I could have counted the nails in my neighbors barn, but there is no way that I wanted to become dependent on those glasses. :Smile >Sad

Re: Farsightedness - otis - 05-20-2008

Dear Bi-focal,

We ALL understand the convincing POWER of a strong minus.

But as Bates insisted -- DO NOT WEAR IT.

This is your call, but if I had self-confrmed 20/60 to 20/50 vision -- I would
NOT wear even a -1 diopter -- except for driving when legally required. Smile

But that is always a matter of your judgment.

Enjoy,

Otis

Re: Farsightedness - Bifocal - 05-20-2008

Hi Otis, and thanks for the reply.
I really need to wear these minus 1 glasses, at least for a while. The 20/60 on my snellen is the best I can see, and even then , that line is VERY BLURRED. Can not really see all the letters, and the ones that I do are blurred.The 20/40 line is unreadable. The optometrist is probably right that it is more like 20/100 or more, because that line was not clear either.Even the 20/200 line was not totally clear. Most likely from the astigmatism. As I said she wanted to give me minus 2.25, with minus 1.25 cylinder. Those lenses gave me 20/10, and I am thinking of ordering them just for drivimg, especially at night.

Re: Farsightedness - otis - 05-21-2008

Dear "BiFocal",

Subject: What Bates suggests -- and I agree with him.

WIth 20/60 (admittedly blurry), you can do close-work with no minus lens.

Your OD suggested you wear a -2 diopters ALL THE TIME. That would be the worse that
you could do.

I can NEVER give you advice. But if I had checked my Snellen, and confirmed 20/60 (read 1/2 the
letters correctly) then I would NOT wear a minus lens -- except for driving.

Some more commentary:

Focal> An update on my progress. in June of 07 I last saw my optometrist. I returned this month ( May 08 ), and had not worn any glasses since the last exam. I had been having a lot of distance blur after close work.

Otis> That should tell you that the "problem" IS THAT CLOSE WORK. But we each have our standard of judgment.

According to my snellen I have gone from 20/40 to 20/60 in each eye, and after close work to 20/80 each.

Otis> Again the problem is that close work -- in MY opinion.

According to my optometrist it is 20/100 each.

Otis> Your checking is far better and more accurate.

She wants me to wear minus 2.00 lenses full time,

Otis> The "standard story" of the majority-opnion OD. With 20/60 vision Bates said NEVER -- and I agree.
But as a practical matter -- when driving, but at no other time. As always, I, and no one can
tell you what you should do.

with a bifocal add of plus .50.I instead have returned to wearing the minus 1.00 lenses full time.

Otis> With all due respect. Could you explain WHY???

They seem good for the close work, and the distance blur is only intermittent when I wear them.

Otis> The only time you need a minus is for DISTANCE. The minus at near truly makes no sense at all.

My snellen with them is 20/20, but after close work drops to 20/40.

Otis> That should tell you that you should not wear them for close work. Even your OD
will tell you that their ONLY purpose is to clear your Snellen at 20 feet.

They again give me incredible clarity, and make my eyes feel very relaxed.

Otis> Always your call. If you love them, why not just get the -2 and wear it all the time?

If I continue to need these lenses, it wont be too bad compared to the coke bottle plus bifocals that I required before.

Otis> You could wear NO LENS -- and that would be much better.

This is just my PERSONAL OPINION -- but I it very close to Bates.

Otis