MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Night Blindness - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Night Blindness - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Night Blindness (/showthread.php?tid=496)

Night Blindness - otto - 08-26-2007

I have found that driving at night with my half prescription is considerably more scary then during the day.  I think I may have some degree of what is called night blindness. Am I right in my instinct that night blindness is the result of greater strain under low light conditions?

Re: Night Blindness - Jason - 08-26-2007

Hello Otto,

I'm not very familiar with night blindness but I think it's definitely the result of straining to see in the dark. Bates talks a little about this condition in his magazines and says that it's easily curable. I can't see very good in the dark either, and in fact I'm kind of afraid of the dark sometimes. However, my fear of darkness actually decreases a bunch after practicing the Bates method!

Jason

Re: Night Blindness - apavel - 08-28-2007

The eyesight of all myopic people worsens at night.  It has to do with the reduction pinhole effect associated with pupil dilation - that is if you are talking about blurriness.  If you are talking about a loss of sensitivity to light, it's a different issue - glasses cannot correct that.

Paul

Re: Night Blindness - otto - 08-28-2007

Things are way blurrier after dark. I guess I respond to that with frustration and strain. 
----------------------------------------
I saw this documentary about a  mountain tribe in Columbia where children are raised in the darkness of a hut. The world is described to them in detail. They develop the capacity to see at night and when they finally get to go outside at age nine or so the world is endlessly amazing to them.  I believe they were the shaman of the tribe.
----------------------------------------
Did anyone watch the lunar eclipse? I only caught the tail end of it and missed the umbra glow.

Re: Night Blindness - Mzero - 08-28-2007

So what you guys are saying is that with bad eyesight the difference between night vision and day vision is greater than with normal vision?

i feel a lot more comfortable at night if its in a nature setting. in the city with bright light its ok sometimes but lights with huge halos definitely freak me out. it's gotta be astigmatims, can somebody help me?

Re: Night Blindness - otto - 10-06-2007

I would like to add a couple thoughts on this.  On a recent walk at night I caught myself in the act of straining horribly to see objects in the distance.  Funny, but my eyes fear the absence of the  sun's light as much as they fear and avoid its direct radiance .  When I encounter my night blindness, which I no doubt developed while wearing glasses, my anxiety level rises as I reject this perceived character flaw.  How can I be improving if I only notice a positive difference during the sunny hours of the day?  Why do my eyes seem so static and tense when I've been gaining my capacity relax them during the day?  - It feels vulnerable enough to be "blind" in the day but to be even more impaired at night is more unnerving yet.
  I haven't read too much on the personality traits and psychology myopes have in common.  I have, however, had some new awareness of what keeps me from focusing on the world.  When looking out over my neighborhood from a ridge top, becoming aware of all the different trees, houses, garages, cars and various meaningless urban constructs, I notice that on an emotional level I don't want to see all of this clearly.  I don't know how to see all of this clearly.  To have it in the forefront of my mind without feeling a pressure to understand it, to make sense of it is a great challenge.  This is a block to letting things be, to letting my mind be. 
  One could say my myopia came about largely because of this attitude towards information.  Must hurry to make sense of it all! Must come to the correct conclusion and be seen as smart!  I remember straining to see the blackboard in 8th grade American History class shortly before I got my first prescription.  Looking back at that class, the more I strained my eyes to see the board and my mind to follow the stories, the greater my confusion and anxiety.
  As I reclaim my vision life itself changes and I let go of the burdensome ways I have of relating to the world.  Yay!

Re: Night Blindness - apavel - 10-07-2007

I hear of many people who initially lose their eyesight when they strained to see the board or overheads in school.  The worst is when they put up an overhead of extremely small text and you must copy down from it as quickly as you possibly can.  If the teacher changes the overhead before the student finish copying down it discourages and upsets students, leading them to "try harder" and strain to see.
Unfortunately most teachers aren't aware of that.

Paul