MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? (/showthread.php?tid=534)

Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - Farsighted - 10-10-2007

Hi

Just wondering if anyone new here that has tried this to reduce hyperopia? e.g wearing a low minus full-time?

Thanks.

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - otis - 10-10-2007

Dear Farsighted,

Subject: The effect of a minus on the eye's refractive STATE.

The method certainly works in SCIENCE.

And, if you wish to change your refractive STATE, say from
+1 diopter to 0 diopters -- I believe you could be
effective in doing it.

The only issue is the motivation and understanding
to do it.

Best,

Otis

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - Farsighted - 10-11-2007

Otis, what do you mean by 'understanding'? I definitely have the motivation and I'm sure it would be difficult seeing through minus lenses at first but I guess I would get used to it quickly if I were to wear them full time? I am say, +3 (very strong) in each eye, what would be a reasonable prescription to start on? 

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - otis - 10-11-2007

Dear "Farsighted,

Quote:Otis, what do you mean by 'understanding'?

Otis> I mean the I look at the facts available.  In my judgement,
the the eye will respond to a -1 diopter lens by changing
(very slowly) in a negative direction.  But it up to you
to "understand" it that way.  I can only SUGGEST what
I would do.  It is up to you to decide with YOU wish to do.

Quote:I definitely have the motivation and I'm sure it would be difficult seeing through minus lenses at first

Otis> Maybe not so difficult.  But being persistent would be difficult.
It MUST make sense to you -- to do it.

Quote:but I guess I would get used to it quickly if I were to wear them full time?

Otis> I don't know your age.  If under 20 years, it would not be
too difficult, since your accommodation could "cover" that additional
-1 diopter.

Quote:I am say, +3 (very strong) in each eye, what would be a reasonable prescription to start on? 

Otis> PLEASE do not say "PRESCRIPTION".  The minus lens as
you intend to use it -- is not for an "error" or any other purpose
other than your own curiosity. 

Otis> You have the responsibility to make that kind of judgment
yourself.

Best,

Otis

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - Farsighted - 10-12-2007

Should I go with -2/-3 to speed things up or would it be too strong to try and see out of? I am over 20 y.o. so how long do you think it would take for my eyes to start becoming more shortsighted/less farsighted?

Thanks.

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - otis - 10-12-2007

Dear Farsighted,

We talked about "understanding" before.  Whey you ask
the question, "what would happen if I placed a -3 diopter
lens on the eye".  And "would the refractive STATE change
in the direction of the applied -3 diopter lens. 

I answer the question with proof -- scientific proof in this
case.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/otisbrown17268/FundEye.html">http://www.geocities.com/otisbrown17268/FundEye.html</a><!-- m -->

Thus, if you eyes are similar to these eyes, then you should
get a similar result.  But I would say, at a much slower rate.

Quote:Should I go with -2/-3 to speed things up or would it be too strong to try and see out of?

Given that your range of accommodation is about 6 diopters, a
-2 to -3 diopter would be too strong.  Just get a low-cost
-1 diopter from Zennioptical.com.  Remember, I am an
engineer -- and never provide MEDICAL advice.  The suggestion
that this would be possible comes from the scientific experiment
stated above.

Quote:I am over 20 y.o. so how long do you think it would take for my eyes to start becoming more shortsighted/less farsighted?

Otis> I have no idea.  So you may want to drop your
project at this time.  But if you still wish to continue, then
start with a -1 diopter (spherical, both eye) -- AS AN
EXPERIMENT.  Just click here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php">http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php</a><!-- m -->

Your P.D., or pupiliary distance will be about 63 mm for your
age.  If you wish, you can measure this youself.  The
basic price is $8, with about $5 shipping.  Thus you can
try them out at a low cost.  But this is always your
experiment under your control.

Anything stronger that -1 diopters will most likely give you a headache.

Best,

Otis

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - Farsighted - 10-29-2007

Otis, I find your posts a little difficult to understand as they are so technical.  Just wondering has anyone else on this forum ever tried or have an opinion/knowledge of wearing minus glasses to improve farsightedness?

Thanks.

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - apavel - 10-29-2007

many tried, many failed.
Works for some people though.  Even then, the improvement is usually very minor.  Plus the idea of wearing a lens to make your eyesight worse never really appealed to me.  This is also very counterintuitive with respect to the Bates method.

Paul

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - Farsighted - 10-30-2007

Thanks Paul. I am not trying to make my eyesight worse but to reduce my farsightedness as I don't like the look of the lenses whether thinned down or not.

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - apavel - 10-30-2007

you should give the Bates method a try.

Paul

Re: Minus lenses improve farsightedness? - otis - 10-30-2007

Dear Farsighted,

Subject: Methods to get your eyes to "move negative". (i.e.,
less "hyperopia").

Sorry that you judge my review "too technical".  But you asked
for an opinion.  I think you now judge that any use of
the minus is not "correct" for you -- and that sure if
fine with me.

I would suggest NOT wearing your plus as much as possible.

I would also suggest using the Bates methods recommended
by David and Paul.  I personally think that you
hyperopia can be "responsive" to the Bates methods.

Good luck,

Otis

Quote:Otis, I find your posts a little difficult to understand as they are so technical.  Just wondering has anyone else on this forum ever tried or have an opinion/knowledge of wearing minus glasses to improve farsightedness?

Thanks.