MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Emotional Struggles - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Emotional Struggles - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Emotional Struggles (/showthread.php?tid=613)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Emotional Struggles - spydermann - 03-30-2010

man yeah I get that worry too. does it seem to get in the way at times when you'd like to be enjoying the moment with them?

Re: Emotional Struggles - Andrea Major - 05-14-2010

Awesome stuff, everyone! I cannot read your words fast enough. It is so nice to know that I am not alone with the crazy realizations on this Earth that the Bates method brings me. I am using it to try to cure my anxiety disorder, too. I will let you know if I succeeded... ;D

Re: Emotional Struggles - jmulcahy - 06-01-2010

Hi guys. I just wanted to chime in that I've been going through some severe stress and heartbreak for the last few weeks, and my vision seems worse for the first time in 2 years. I am pretty sure it is temporary, but it's something worth reporting. This goes along with my improvement stalling for the last 9 or so months since I moved back closer to my family with added work stress and instability financially. So, I just wanted to say that emotions and stress definitely effect my vision negatively. :'(

Re: Emotional Struggles - jmulcahy - 06-28-2010

Andrea Major Wrote:Awesome stuff, everyone! I cannot read your words fast enough. It is so nice to know that I am not alone with the crazy realizations on this Earth that the Bates method brings me. I am using it to try to cure my anxiety disorder, too. I will let you know if I succeeded... ;D

Andrea, how have you been doing? Please write soon.

Re: Emotional Struggles - blauw - 06-29-2010

This pretty much sums up my life in a nutshell...

I get stressed and store it emotionally and I don't usually let it out... That is something I need to work on. I've heard some ways to do this are to just express it, cry, etc.

I find when I am completely relaxed I have much better vision, when I'm storing my emotions I have worse vision.

blauw

Re: Emotional Struggles - Andrea Major - 07-01-2010

Hi Jennifer,

:-)
I am doing great, thanks for asking! I looked at your previous posts, see who this person is showing an interest in my well-being?! :-) Looks like you and I may have some stuff in common: age, starting diopters, other issues... I hope you are doing good, too!
I keep up the exercises every day, I see some progress and try not to be too impatient - that part is hard. My biggest improvement is that I can see my computer screen from twice as far as I could before! (That's still pretty close to a "normal" person, and my co-workers are probably wondering why I insist on keeping my glasses off my face, but this is Canada, so luckily they keep their opinion to themselves! Big Grin )
I am re-reading the Bates book now (probably 20th time at least over the years) and still learning new stuff...

Re: Emotional Struggles - spydermann - 08-02-2010

blauw Wrote:I've heard some ways to do this are to just express it, cry, etc.

I've been wondering lately about the emo issues that cause tension in my eyes... I'm not sure how to dig up and find them in order to express/cry it out...

I've heard some of us myope's may have had burning eyedrops put in our eyes as newborn babies...could this be traumatic enough that someone would harbor the tension their whole life? If so how would you release emotional trauma like that??!

I struggle trying to dig up that time i dropped my ice cream at the fair when I was 5! Let alone releasing trauma from my babyhood...

Re: Emotional Struggles - jmulcahy - 08-03-2010

Hi Andrea!

I'm sorry it took a while to reply, I didn't get the email notification for some reason.

I am doing okay! My anxiety has made my vision go back down some again but I am keeping with it. I've been doing Power Vision System again for a few weeks. I had a bug fly in my eye on Saturday and it stayed under my eye bottom lid for hours (I thought it was gone) and now I have a swollen sclera! It will become uninflamed in the next few days hopefully. It was weird and scary to see an optometrist again though.

Canada sounds nice right about now :) hehe. I'm glad they don't ask!

What stuff are you focusing on in the Bates book?
I will see if I can fix my notification settings and hope to hear from you soon!
-Jennifer

Re: Emotional Struggles - jmulcahy - 08-03-2010

Hi Spyderman,

I think that if we address our emotional issues today, we'll go a long way to fixing that end of things. I don't think we need to dredge up specific incidents from our past to release them. At least, I hope not!!!

Re: Emotional Struggles - blauw - 08-03-2010

I don't normally go through my brain looking for that memory. But there is a song that I have on my iPod that always gets me. The artist is a political activist and an underground rapper (not the traditional sense of rap.... his songs have meaning and aren't about cars and what not). But every time I listen to the song I listen to the lyrics and memories arise. Memories of all the stressful things, the sad things, the painful things, even the good things, etc. that happened when I was younger or recently (that I pushed away).

I find it's better to release your feelings than keep them pent up inside. Because they will eat away at you.

blauw

Re: Emotional Struggles - DaniFixe - 08-06-2010

My emotional struggle is the negative inside me. Since kid i'm frustrated, very closed, low self-esteem and i see those influence when doing exercises. When i finish some exercise and see no improvement i always think "This doesn't work"... damm, is so difficult to control my toughts...

Re: Emotional Struggles - JMartinC4 - 08-07-2010

spydermann Wrote:
blauw Wrote:I've heard some ways to do this are to just express it, cry, etc.
I've been wondering lately about the emo issues that cause tension in my eyes... I'm not sure how to dig up and find them in order to express/cry it out...
I've heard some of us myope's may have had burning eyedrops put in our eyes as newborn babies...could this be traumatic enough that someone would harbor the tension their whole life? If so how would you release emotional trauma like that??!
I struggle trying to dig up that time i dropped my ice cream at the fair when I was 5! Let alone releasing trauma from my babyhood...
Thank you for giving the possibility some thought. Neonatal eye antibiotics completely blur the minutes-old newborn's eyesight for many minutes if not hours (after 1956; prior to that it lasted up to 3 days.) There is also a time differential between the two eyes. And probably a differing amount of the antibiotic, as well as a difference in the placement location on the eyes. How sad and disgusting it is that the medical, nursing and optical professions have such a low opinion of newborns and obviously of humanity in general. Also they are cowards. They know that the 'treatment' is completely unnecessary in 99.99 percent of the mothers, yet they will not refuse to administer the antibiotics because they are legislatively mandated to do so. Worst of all, they lie to the parents about the newborns' vision. It is madness.

Re: Emotional Struggles - seetheleaves - 09-22-2010

hi all,

i'm new to this forum and want to thank everyone for taking the time to post here. the encouragement of reading similar experiences - visual and emotional - is a strong motivation for me to keep on this path. so thank you! Smile

i too have found that unreleased/suppressed emotions are attached to my myopia and eye strain.

lately i've been focusing on relaxing into the moment - noticing everything and everyone around me, hearing sounds, seeing colors, breathing and releasing tensions that i am aware of. and it's been a huge eye-opener (literally!) for me. i have realised that years of wearing glasses and contacts have cheated me out of the full, magical experience of sight. now instead of being bored by a flat photograph of scenery i feel like i am really moving through a 3dimensional world of life and movement and color everywhere around me. i am remembering what it was like to be a child again - it's beautiful!

but here's the thing - i am easily able to remain relaxed and joyful and aware so long as i am in the countryside going for walks and surrounded by nature. but as soon as i am in a city, a grocery store, or looking at people who are having a conversation with me i immediatley tense up and brace against the 'confrontation'. it's like i'm overwhelmed by other people's emotions and expectations of me and i feel like i can't see as well anymore. i immediately and unconsciously revert back to tensing against the 'intrusion' into my serene little world (i am a writer and dreamer so i am constantly drifting off in my thoughts and this is like being snapped back to 'reality')
when i'm in a city my gaze becomes a fixed stare again - i freeze the environment so that i can navigate through it unharmed.
and when i'm in a grocery store it hits me all at once that i can't see the details of the aisles or the products that i need to buy (not a problem when you are looking through a forest of trees). i guess this freaks me out because i totally let go of central fixation and instead strain to see everything all at once again.

does this happen to anyone else? and if so, my question is: how do you deal with this emotionally, what do you do instead of tensing up - especially in conversation with other people?

Re: Emotional Struggles - Nancy - 09-22-2010

Very good description of being overwhelmed by noisy or busy surroundings, and then not being able to see as well. This is my story too, and I've improved a lot, from wearing -10 hard contacts at all times to driving mostly without glasses at all in the daytime. Take it slow, and don't beat yourself up if you need glasses to see something -- just take them off as soon as you can. Breathe. Learn ways to help yourself relax, whether it be yoga or tai chi or meditation. Avoid rushing if you can, as that will make it worse. You are not alone, for sure.

Re: Emotional Struggles - hammer - 09-23-2010

seetheleaves Wrote:hi all,

i'm new to this forum and want to thank everyone for taking the time to post here. the encouragement of reading similar experiences - visual and emotional - is a strong motivation for me to keep on this path. so thank you! Smile

i too have found that unreleased/suppressed emotions are attached to my myopia and eye strain.

lately i've been focusing on relaxing into the moment - noticing everything and everyone around me, hearing sounds, seeing colors, breathing and releasing tensions that i am aware of. and it's been a huge eye-opener (literally!) for me. i have realised that years of wearing glasses and contacts have cheated me out of the full, magical experience of sight. now instead of being bored by a flat photograph of scenery i feel like i am really moving through a 3dimensional world of life and movement and color everywhere around me. i am remembering what it was like to be a child again - it's beautiful!

but here's the thing - i am easily able to remain relaxed and joyful and aware so long as i am in the countryside going for walks and surrounded by nature. but as soon as i am in a city, a grocery store, or looking at people who are having a conversation with me i immediatley tense up and brace against the 'confrontation'. it's like i'm overwhelmed by other people's emotions and expectations of me and i feel like i can't see as well anymore. i immediately and unconsciously revert back to tensing against the 'intrusion' into my serene little world (i am a writer and dreamer so i am constantly drifting off in my thoughts and this is like being snapped back to 'reality')
when i'm in a city my gaze becomes a fixed stare again - i freeze the environment so that i can navigate through it unharmed.
and when i'm in a grocery store it hits me all at once that i can't see the details of the aisles or the products that i need to buy (not a problem when you are looking through a forest of trees). i guess this freaks me out because i totally let go of central fixation and instead strain to see everything all at once again.

does this happen to anyone else? and if so, my question is: how do you deal with this emotionally, what do you do instead of tensing up - especially in conversation with other people?

Yes, I know what you mean. I think you need to focus on consciousness and realise that there is no escape so you better calm down,
but you better calm down in the right way.
You see, you got to understand that there are two types of consciousness, wide and narrow.
You got to understand that consciousness is about understanding, then look out (get awareness), then wake up into clarity.
Problably you have trouble to understand why people shall live in big cities, just understand that people are social beings an wants to get in contact with you because they find you as a person interesting and that they thus wants to listen to you because they think YOU are interesting.
So you also must be intrested in a person, one at a time, not everyone instantly because it would be impossible.
You also got to understand that you can focus on these types of consciousness simultaneously.
The wide consciousness becomes very evident in the city, but the narrow consciousness is unaffected.
To relax into this wide consciousness you just widen your peripheral vision even more, thus you need to counteract.
Simultaneously the narrow consciousness must be more focused on a certain detail that interests you, BUT it is important that this detail that you focus on is moving !, either the object that you watch must move or you need to move your body !
Ok, if you have problem with faces, just look the person you are talking to straight into his/her eyes, this relaxes your eyes.
If you have several people your talking to you need to look at the one that talks, remember that you can only see one object clearly.
If you still have problems, just focus on one object with your central vision and handle surrounding as a noise around you with the widened peripheral vision.
Just admit to your self that noise is something that relax you, because you must trust your mind to handle it automatically.
If you feel that many people stare at you, then you shall just widen your peripheral vision even more and continue to focus on an object/detail with your central vision. The peripheral vision handles the city "noise" in a low power state as it is more blurry.
If you should try to see all this city "noise" with your central vision you probably would die due to stress, or get blind due to overheating,
but the peripheral vision is designed to take all information from universe in. You see because mind, vision and universe are using the same domain, the frequency domain. The central vision gets an easier task the more the peripheral vision is widened, it is due to holographic characteristics (if you split a holographic image into two parts, then you still see the image in each part, but the image becomes fuzzier in each part, thus the wide image youhave from start will end up in better central vision).