MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Success Stories (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Recovery from pretty bad myopia (/showthread.php?tid=627)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Ram - 08-13-2008

I think it is never too late for the Bates method. You can improve however bad your eyes are. I have improved from about 6/200 to 20/200 in 3 months. I consider that remarkable improvement. Others have had even faster progress on this forum. Keep trying...doing wrongly is better than not doing because someday you will do it right. Regular practise is the key to success.

spontaneous relaxation - sorrisiblue - 08-25-2008

I’m consistently able to read 20/50 now! I'm wearing my glasses less and less now at work as I'm able to do many computer and meeting related tasks without glasses.

I have this new sensation of relaxation that I’m really excited to write about. I’m sure I mentioned a few months ago that as I began to relax more I would notice my left (dominant) thumb spontaneously relax now and then. I always thought it was neat that my dominant side is relaxing and letting go as my eyesight improves. I had previously had problems with this thumb because I was gripping everything so tight everytime I used it. Before my vision journey I had learned to just use it less and relax overall, which kept the pain at bay and allowed me to write with my left hand again. However, now the pain never comes back!

Also, there is now a new muscle that is spontaneously relaxing! This is so fascinating. First, it was my left thumb, and now, my left big toe will spontaneously relax! It’s such a relief everytime I feel it happen. I’ll just be laying down, doing my autogenics, or sitting in a relaxed state at my desk, and suddenly I feel this tension leaving my big toe on my left foot. How od and wonderful. I’m getting the inklings of the next one, could be my right hip flexor.

I’m thinking of getting an anatomy color book like medical school kids use so that I can see exactly what muscles these are! It’s really fascinating to me. It’’s as if I’m letting go of my stress in one muscle group at a time as my eyes let go as well.

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - otis - 08-25-2008

Dear Sorri,

Subject: The OD in his office.

I have friends that are "in" both optometry and ophthalmology. We have no "arguments".

As long as they conduct their "function" in their office, and the public has no interest
in true prevention -- no "change" is possible.

But, since you can manage 10/50 (or 20/100) you have at least a start at avoiding the minus.

Sorr> Here’s the positive: this morning I read the fourth line from my Snellen chart in dim light from 10 feet! (10/50 eyesight) When I started the Bates method I could only stand about 5 feet away to read the top line! (5/200 eyesight)

I would also take the Snellen outside and check at the standard distance of 20 feet. Vision is often
much better under that condition.

Keep up the excellent work,

Otis

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - clarknight - 08-25-2008

Bates method is great, it improves vision and many other mind, body functions.
keep going to 20/20, 10, 5 Sorris!!
40/5.
Does anyone have that?
Seeing the distant chart, smallest letter, 5 line at 40 feet.

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Ram - 08-25-2008

Clarknight,

The smallest cone cells in the fovea have sizes corresponding to 0.4 minutes of arc( 24 secs of arc) of the visual field, which places a lower limit on acuity. The optimal acuity of 0.4 minutes of arc is equivalent to 20/8, which is kind of theoretical limit very hard to exceed. I would be surprised if anyone can see better than 20/8 though there are some known cases.

The Guinness book of world record lists Veronica Seider as having a whopping 160/20 vision. Some eagles have this kind of eyesight. There are unofficial records of spiritual practioners with 'mind over matter' abilities having virtually unlimited vision.

Given the theoretical limit of 20/8 as imposed by the cone diameter I wont expect to find too many people better this without some kind of spiritual practice.( such as very profound meditation leading to awakening of the inner divine energy)

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - sorrisiblue - 01-18-2009

Just an update to give some perspective!

As my last update, I am still seeing 20/50 consistently. I am getting more and more clear moments of 20/20 to 20/40 vision, so I think I am getting within a year or so of permanent improvement!

I read from the Snellen chart every day. I used to read from the furthest distance possible, but now I'm finding that I gain benefit from reading the smaller lines at closer distances (10 feet or less). From 5 feet, I can read the second smallest line, which is 5/15 eyesight. Just as a comparison, when I started the Bates method a year and some months ago, I could barely read the big C from 5 feet! That was 5/200 eyesight. what a huge difference!!! so in case you're wondering, the ups and downs of eyesight improvement and the patience required for success are well worth it.

Happy New Year's to all of you,
sorrisi

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - clarknight - 01-18-2009

Definite proof that the Bates method works!

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Determined - 02-09-2010

hi, im just starting the bates method to attempt to recover my bad myopia

which exercises do you think are the most important, and has helped you the most?

thanks Smile

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Nancy - 02-10-2010

Different exercises work best for different people, but it's not really about exercises -- it's about learning to let your eyes relax. I started with -10 and a big thing for me was taking off my hard contacts and actually accepting the level of my blur. Do as much without glasses as you can, focusing on letting the clarity in (not fighting/resisting the blur, which is strain). The world is clear -- it's your interpretation that's blurry. Observe yourself and your habits, and let the straining ones go. Doing the eye chart at different distances has helped me, as it's obvious when I'm straining (things get more blurry), but others have benefited most from palming or the Long Swing. Try them all and stick with what gives you the most benefit. Good luck!

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Determined - 03-06-2010

just wondering, am i reading my snellen wrong

cause when you said you could see the 3rd line in january 2008, you already practiced bates for a while

i have a similar prescription to you (-8, -6) and i can already read the third and fourth lines outdoors. And i've only been practicing for a couple of weeks...

am i doing something wrong?

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - sorrisiblue - 03-07-2010

hi determined - I don't see your logic - you think you are doing something wrong if your progress is faster? everyone will improve at different rates. also, prescriptions have really no correlation to Snellen chart readings. For example, I started with -8 glasses, but I knew people at that time who had prescriptions of -4 and if we both took off our glasses I could see better. Progress can only be relative to yourself and keep in mind vision fluctuates a lot, lighting will make a big difference, etc. So don't get down if some days you read less well than others. The best thing you can do is to use the chart as a tool, not a test. If you can look at it and learn what you can do to see a letter darker and clearer, then you will be able to use what you learned the whole day to improve your sight even more. If you read the chart twice per day for a whole week you will notice that some days you see better and some days you see worse. This doesn't matter, what matters is if you can teach yourself to improve even a little on whatever your eyesight is at the time you are looking at the chart. Then, over a period of months you will see that gradually your best and worst eyesight get better. If you are then still worried if you're doing something wrong you should get a teacher to help you.

best,
Sorrisi

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Determined - 03-07-2010

so you are saying that two people with the same prescription may not have the same snellen reading?

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - sorrisiblue - 03-08-2010

yes, that is correct.

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - JMartinC4 - 03-08-2010

YES! And I think it's because, as Bates Methodolgy 'proves', myopia related to 'axial length' of the eyeball can be overcome in varying amounts by relaxation and retraining of the rest of the visual system components. 8) :Smile Smile :o
sorrisiblue Wrote:yes, that is correct.

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Determined - 03-08-2010

i read in sassi's blog that she can sometimes see 20/20 and consistently 20/40, yet she still needs -5 glasses?

why is this?