MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Success Stories (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Recovery from pretty bad myopia (/showthread.php?tid=627)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - sorrisiblue - 03-09-2010

the eyesight fluctuates quite a lot. When she is relaxed, she can see quite good and doesn't need glasses. When she is stressed or doing something that encourages her to use bad vision habits, then she wouldn't see 20/40, she would see much worse, and in those cases she would use -5 glasses. However, that is much better than the -8 glasses she started with.

First, one learns to improve the vision under favorable conditions. The eye will see well during these times but worse at other less favourable times.

Second one learns to extend the proper use of the eyes to unfavorable conditions.

Once this is achieved, then the eyesight improvement is permanent.

Most people get some temporary improvement, then get frustrated that the eyesight fluctuates a lot, and then give up. It takes patience and persistence to achieve a permanent level of improvement. Read the latest success story by Bob, he is a good example of persistence.

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Determined - 03-12-2010

sorrisiblue Wrote:the eyesight fluctuates quite a lot. When she is relaxed, she can see quite good and doesn't need glasses. When she is stressed or doing something that encourages her to use bad vision habits, then she wouldn't see 20/40, she would see much worse, and in those cases she would use -5 glasses. However, that is much better than the -8 glasses she started with.

First, one learns to improve the vision under favorable conditions. The eye will see well during these times but worse at other less favourable times.

Second one learns to extend the proper use of the eyes to unfavorable conditions.

Once this is achieved, then the eyesight improvement is permanent.

Most people get some temporary improvement, then get frustrated that the eyesight fluctuates a lot, and then give up. It takes patience and persistence to achieve a permanent level of improvement. Read the latest success story by Bob, he is a good example of persistence.

so if she used her -8 glasses now, she would see blur out of them?

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - sorrisiblue - 03-14-2010

Quote:so if she used her -8 glasses now, she would see blur out of them?

No.

If she wears no glasses, she sees clearly sometimes and blurry sometimes.

if she sees blurry with no glasses and then wears -5 glasses, she will then see clearly.

If she wears -8 glasses, they are so strong her head hurts immediately.

This is the same in my own experience. Even -6 glasses hurt me now if I put them on.

I think you could benefit from having a teacher explain many of the basics of how eyesight improvement works and what you can expect. David has made a nice list of links and suggestions for finding a teacher: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/teacherassns.html">http://www.iblindness.org/teacherassns.html</a><!-- m -->

The cost of a few lessons is less than a pair of glasses. The benefit of understanding the method is essential to success.

best regards,
Sorrisi

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Determined - 03-15-2010

sorrisiblue Wrote:
Quote:so if she used her -8 glasses now, she would see blur out of them?

No.

If she wears no glasses, she sees clearly sometimes and blurry sometimes.

if she sees blurry with no glasses and then wears -5 glasses, she will then see clearly.

If she wears -8 glasses, they are so strong her head hurts immediately.

This is the same in my own experience. Even -6 glasses hurt me now if I put them on.

I think you could benefit from having a teacher explain many of the basics of how eyesight improvement works and what you can expect. David has made a nice list of links and suggestions for finding a teacher: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/teacherassns.html">http://www.iblindness.org/teacherassns.html</a><!-- m -->

The cost of a few lessons is less than a pair of glasses. The benefit of understanding the method is essential to success.

best regards,
Sorrisi

i would love some lessons but unfortunately i live in Australia and there are no teachers in my area.

if she put on her -5 glasses, she would see 20/20?

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - sorrisiblue - 03-16-2010

Hi Determined -

I know it's hard to find someone close by to help. Here are the links of the only ones I know of in Australia:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.visionsofjoy.org/visionlinks.htm#AusNZ">http://www.visionsofjoy.org/visionlinks.htm#AusNZ</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seeing.org/teachers/areas/oceania/australia.html">http://www.seeing.org/teachers/areas/oc ... ralia.html</a><!-- m -->

many of them and other teachers do email/phone consulatations.
You could also email Thomas Quackenbush, and tell him where you are and ask if there is someone nearby. Many of the teachers he trains don't advertise online.

Another idea - the next time you go on holiday, go on a vision holiday and visit one of the teachers in Australia for a week. Check their schedules as well, many teachers travel to teach. If you can find 10 other people interested in a weekend course, then I bet you could even talk a teacher into coming to your town.

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about how good my sister can see through glasses. I have no idea what she sees through -5 because I never asked her. If you look through her blog you might find an old post about it. I see about 20/30 through mine so I suppose she sees about the same. One thing you will learn - ask questions that help you with your vision improvement. These questions - how do I know if I am doing the method correctly? How do I practice central fixation correctly? are very good and have good answers on this forum. Otherwise, a lot of time is wasted online that could be better spent palming Smile Perhaps you are searching for someone that has had a similar starting prescription and are looking for hope in their success story? You will happen across this story as you find more and more information about the Bates method. Teacher's websites are a good place to look, as are Bates's magazines. Write down your own successes in a small notebook, and look back on your own success for inspiration to get even further.

good luck,
Sorrisi

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Besho - 07-22-2010

hi sorris ,

I have tried 2 vision improvement programmes where in one I didn't improve at all as it says to take off your glasses most of the time , I am 3.25 so my eyes were straining as I couldn't see most things , tried another programme where I improved about 0.25 , I used 3.25 which is lower than my full strength with0.25 then after exercising I got sharp in 3.25 then dropped to 2.75 , when my eyes began to hurt me in 2.75 the teacher told me to drop to 2.25 , I dropped but it was of high blurr , frustrating then for 6 months for 4 months now without any improvement , got eye allergy for about4 months too
Please tell me your opinion

Thanks

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Nancy - 07-22-2010

Besho,
Carina Goodrich, Janet Goodrich's daughter, is carrying on her NVI work. Here's a link to her blog: http://janetgoodrichmethod.com/blog/ and under Site Navigation to the right you'll find a "contact us" link. The blog has a few free audios so page down and check those out to get a flavor of what she provides. I know someone personally who is just starting to study with Carina so I don't have anything from that to report yet, but what I have seen of her work so far shows her to be both knowledgeable and supportive. Oh, and she's in Australia. Hope this is helpful.
Nancy

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - DaniFixe - 07-22-2010

Exist differences between Janet,Thomas and the master Bates method? There is something different despite of exercises ?

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Mzero - 07-22-2010

maybe if you guys wouldn't always talk about 0.35+ - , 0.4249- lens in one eye... your vision would relax. it always gives me a headache. use the 20?xx system.

Re: Recovery from pretty bad myopia - Urban - 07-24-2010

Mzero Wrote:maybe if you guys wouldn't always talk about 0.35+ - , 0.4249- lens in one eye... your vision would relax. it always gives me a headache. use the 20?xx system.

Indeed, the diopter measurement is only loosely related to the visual acuity of the eye. For our purposes, the 20/xx system is better.

DaniFixe Wrote:Exist differences between Janet,Thomas and the master Bates method? There is something different despite of exercises ?

I don't know much about Thomas, but from what I know of Janet, her practices were basically Bates' teachings.