MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: How do you get dirt out of your eyes? (/showthread.php?tid=647)

How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - marlon - 01-15-2008

I often get dirt in my eyes. Is this harmful in the long term? What's the best way to get them out?
thanks!! ;D

Re: How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - Urban - 01-15-2008

It would probably help if you said why you were getting dirt in your eyes.

I think that prevention would be the best thing. To clear your eyes of a little dirt you should probably blink it out. It there are some larger particles you may have to remove them with your hands.

I don't think that this is really problematic, but I could see problems arising if you made a habit of this over a longer period.

Re: How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - blauw - 06-07-2009

marlon Wrote:I often get dirt in my eyes. Is this harmful in the long term? What's the best way to get them out?
thanks!! ;D

umm.... ???

Blinking can remove the dirt particles, that is mainly what blinking is for besides hydrating the eyes cornea.

Re: How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - Nancy - 06-08-2009

I agree that this is the purpose of blinking, to remove foreign material from the eye. I remember Bates writing that if you were perfectly relaxed you could have something in your eye & it wouldn't bother you (& you'll have better pain tolerance in general). Also, you can buy eye wash to use with a little cup, maybe at a health food store, or find some herbal recipe to make your own, like very weak herbal tea or something. Or you could use distilled water or the saline they sell for contacts to wash it out.

Be glad you didn't get something in your eye when you were wearing a contact lens. It feels like someone stabbing you in the eye, & your eye gets so traumatized it clenches shut & you can barely open it to remove the lens or the dirt.

Re: How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - Urban - 06-08-2009

Nancy Wrote:I agree that this is the purpose of blinking, to remove foreign material from the eye. I remember Bates writing that if you were perfectly relaxed you could have something in your eye & it wouldn't bother you (& you'll have better pain tolerance in general). Also, you can buy eye wash to use with a little cup, maybe at a health food store, or find some herbal recipe to make your own, like very weak herbal tea or something. Or you could use distilled water or the saline they sell for contacts to wash it out.

Be glad you didn't get something in your eye when you were wearing a contact lens. It feels like someone stabbing you in the eye, & your eye gets so traumatized it clenches shut & you can barely open it to remove the lens or the dirt.

I would not recommend using the fluids designed to wash contact lenses on your eyes. They're usually not water or saline, but instead usually a diluted chemical designed to prevent organisms from growing on the contact lenses.

Re: How do you get dirt out of your eyes? - Nancy - 06-08-2009

Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to use "contact lens solution" to wash out your eyes, as it probably is full of chemicals & preservatives. I meant to use simple saline solution which I think is just distilled water & salt. When I wore soft contacts I soaked my lenses in some solution, & used saline to wash them before putting them in my eyes. The saline was much cheaper than the other solution. I think they make the saline solution so the salt content is close to that of natural tears.