MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Military Shifting - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Military Shifting - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Success Stories (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Military Shifting (/showthread.php?tid=694)

Military Shifting - sanborn - 02-22-2008

I have posted a few articles and thought about one helpful habit that has brought awareness to curing my myopia. First, I wouldn't have come across this idea if it wasn't for the fact that I can see 20/20 and better sometimes. Sometimes I still get blur, but I know why. Mental strain and starring. Really, you have to shift, centralize, sketch, and breath. Practice by going for a walk and silently tell yourself to shift. I have no military affiliation, but pretend you are marching, one, two, three, Shift, 1, 2, 3, shift and so on. Even if something is blurry, shift from it and blink and go back to it and skecth it and shift again. When you type on the computer, sketch, move your head, and beware of the movement. move your nose along the letters. I looked at myself in a reflection once and I didn't think my movement was too spastic. It sort of looked normal. So look around at the world never keeping your glance to long and if you do glance long move your eyes over the object and blind, breathe etc. If it looks blurry, shift on to something else. I feel tension and changes around my eye sockets and nose, like something is happening. I like the idea of the military shift because we get lazy and need a sergeant type to remind us not to stare or strain. movement, shifting, turning of head and not locking it all seem to help. I feel I do these movements automaticallly now when I see blur. When I see blur I start to shift and blink. I think, oh no, there's that blur, shift, go back to object. I try to be subtle too, and smile. Too bad I chose glasses, and funny thing was, I had a good eye doctor that tried to help me stay away from glasses. but I wanted them and was stubborn because I was seeing blur and didn't want to do anything to help. I wanted 20/20 all day. Actually, I had the prescription made to 20/30- so now I can see better at times that I ever have with glasses. Ha!

Re: Military Shifting - otis - 02-22-2008

Dear Sanborn,

Subject: Preventive measures (effort) imposes on YOU. Big Grin

You are correct. There are second-opinion ODs and OMDs who argue that you should never use a
minus lens UNLESS ABSOLUTLY NECESSARY. Further, you should train yourself to ALWAYS
know your Snellen (outside and inside). 20/20 is very, very sharp vision The REAL necessary
standard is 20/40 or better. (3/4 inch letters at 20 feet.)

Quote:San> Too bad I chose glasses, and funny thing was, I had a good eye doctor that tried to help me stay away from glasses. but I wanted them and was stubborn because I was seeing blur and didn't want to do anything to help.

Otis> The "sad" story of all of us -- truth be known. Smile

San> I wanted 20/20 all day. Actually, I had the prescription made to 20/30- so now I can see better at times that I ever have with glasses. Ha!

Otis> This was Bates' problem. He whould get a person at 20/40, and TAKE THE MINUS OFF. Then he suggested
is "method". Then that person (in ignorance) would see an majority-opinion OD, who would IMPRESS the
person with a strong minus. The result? The person loved the OD who gave him the strong minus -- and
Bates was "out of business". ???

Otis> We should all recognize the "imgination blindness" of the public towards ANY AND ALL
preventive steps. Smile

Best,

Re: Military Shifting - otis - 02-22-2008

Dear Sanborn,

Subject: Preventive measures (effort) imposes on YOU. Big Grin

You are correct. There are second-opinion ODs and OMDs who argue that you should never use a
minus lens UNLESS ABSOLUTLY NECESSARY. Further, you should train yourself to ALWAYS
know your Snellen (outside and inside). 20/20 is very, very sharp vision The REAL necessary
standard is 20/40 or better. (3/4 inch letters at 20 feet.)

Quote:San> Too bad I chose glasses, and funny thing was, I had a good eye doctor that tried to help me stay away from glasses. but I wanted them and was stubborn because I was seeing blur and didn't want to do anything to help.

Otis> The "sad" story of all of us -- truth be known. Smile

San> I wanted 20/20 all day. Actually, I had the prescription made to 20/30- so now I can see better at times that I ever have with glasses. Ha!

Otis> This was Bates' problem. He whould get a person at 20/40, and TAKE THE MINUS OFF. Then he suggested
is "method". Then that person (in ignorance) would see an majority-opinion OD, who would IMPRESS the
person with a strong minus. The result? The person loved the OD who gave him the strong minus -- and
Bates was "out of business". ???

Otis> We should all recognize the "imgination blindness" of the public towards ANY AND ALL
preventive steps. Smile

Best,