MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? (/showthread.php?tid=722)

Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? - marlon - 03-09-2008

I've noticed that the vision of most people who wear glasses constantly gets worse over time.
Is it correct to assume then, that glasses cause us to be unaware of strain since we are seeing clearly, and thus our vision gets worse because the strain is 'masked' and we never learn to get rid of it?

In other words, is it like taking pain killers to relieve the pain from a wound without healing the wound itself, and the wound gets infected and gets worse but you still don't feel a thing because you're taking pain killers?

What do you think? ;D

Re: Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? - Urban - 03-09-2008

I'll tell you a story that has great relevance to this question.

My dad used to work at a psychiatric patient. One of the questions that they would ask their patients would be "Are you in any pain?" This guy would always answer no, because he didn't feel any pain. One day they decided to go ahead with an operation for his condition, upon its conclusion, and after he woke up his remark was, "The pain is gone!". He lived in so much pain for so long that he no longer felt it, he was only aware of its presence after it had left him.

The similarity with the Bates method is that if you are exposed to a certain amount of stress for long enough, that stress becomes the norm and you no longer notice it until your never of stress changes. Glasses don't mask strain so much as they maintain it at a constant level which you will eventually no longer be able to notice. If you knew exactly what you were looking for you should still be able to sense it though.

Re: Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? - Jason - 03-10-2008

This reminds me, I have been having dreams lately of myself wearing glasses...which is very weird since I have not even touched them for over a year! They would be on my face and I would start feeling a sense of perverted unreality, like something was totally wrong but I was only partially aware of it, as well as a somewhat disturbing mental feeling that is hard to describe and kind of permeates my whole body. Basically all of my mental functions were temporarily lowered from wearing the glasses, which I'm sure is what happens in reality. Last night I had a dream of myself wearing glasses at junior high, but it kind of had the feeling of elementary school, and when I realized I was wearing glasses I took them off and was trying to stuff them in my pocket when I remembered how much I hated and objected them, which caused me to get very annoyed and I carelessly put them high up on top of a line of lockers, actually hoping that I would forget I put them there. Big Grin When I have these kinds of dreams I get very annoyed both during and after the dream that I was actually wearing glasses, lol...it makes me wonder if having a dream that you're wearing glasses is as bad as wearing them for a short length of time during the day, considering your eyes almost always strain more when you sleep. ???

I have also noticed a striking difference on people's behavior when they're wearing glasses versus when they're not. I know some people with myopia who only wear their glasses sometimes and I've noticed that when their glasses are off, they seem more in tune with reality, talk louder and clearer, walk with less rigidity, and seem to listen much better. They also start saying things like "my glasses make my head hurt." And that doesn't happen unless they use their glasses for a length of time, and then take them off for a while. When they wear glasses they get an even more strained appearance on their faces, seem like they're living in their own reality, and get irritated more often. Has anyone else noticed any of these things, either of themselves or of others?

Actually I instinctively don't like talking to people when they're wearing glasses...I'm not even sure exactly why. Things seem more natural and right when they're not wearing glasses, even if they see imperfectly without them. And that just reminded me of one of my main points: I know of 2 specific people that actually seem to see better when they're not wearing their glasses! I mean literally, I've noticed many times when they saw or found things without glasses easily, while they completely miss or are unaware of obvious things with their glasses on!

Re: Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? - Urban - 03-11-2008

Urban Wrote:I'll tell you a story that has great relevance to this question.

My dad used to work at a psychiatric patient. One of the questions that they would ask their patients would be "Are you in any pain?" This guy would always answer no, because he didn't feel any pain. One day they decided to go ahead with an operation for his condition, upon its conclusion, and after he woke up his remark was, "The pain is gone!". He lived in so much pain for so long that he no longer felt it, he was only aware of its presence after it had left him.

The similarity with the Bates method is that if you are exposed to a certain amount of stress for long enough, that stress becomes the norm and you no longer notice it until your never of stress changes. Glasses don't mask strain so much as they maintain it at a constant level which you will eventually no longer be able to notice. If you knew exactly what you were looking for you should still be able to sense it though.

Wow, how could I possibly miss that? I swear I read over my message at least twice :o . I meant to say that my dad worked at a psychiatric hospital.

Also never = level. I shouldn't post late at night

Re: Glasses causes you to be unaware of strain? - tom - 03-12-2008

I also notice a difference in myself with or without glasses. When I wear them for a few minutes I can feel my facial muscles doing something, and my face always ends up with a more unhappy look, which in turn makes me feel unhappy too.
I've also found out that I can't really remember the eye color of most people who I first met after I got my first pair of glasses. The glasses really seem to make me live in my own reality.

And I noticed these things not until I stopped wearing my glasses.