MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
My quest to reattain perfect vision. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
My quest to reattain perfect vision. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: My quest to reattain perfect vision. (/showthread.php?tid=728)

My quest to reattain perfect vision. - Ben Hill - 03-12-2008

Hey everybody. I've been frequently visiting this board lately, and decided it's been awhile since I've posted. I've been following the teachings of Bates for a couple years now, and have been going in kind of a yoyo type experience since I've started.

I had glasses in 7th grade. I noticed in 6th grade my vision was weakening. This was also the time I was getting heavy into computer gaming, late into the night. Well, I made the mistake and got glasses while my eyesight was only 20/30. A few years later, I was a -1.25 I believe, with astigmatism in both eyes. I had contacts for awhile, but I soon gave those all up.

I wanted to become a Navy SEAL during my early high school years. Unfortunately, my vision was too bad to even go. It was this moment I decided I needed to improve my vision somehow, naturally. I found many crap sites selling vision kits for incredibly high prices. I also stumbled upon many Bates related sites. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any techniques, so I made up my own. I was convinced that vision problems were not related to genetics, but to an uneven displacement of muscle pressure around the eye. I started doing techniques such as looking in all four directions for a period of time, eye circles, and shifting exercises. About a month after these exercises, I experienced my first clear flash. I knew I was making improvement.

For whatever reason, I stopped the exercises after a few months, always going on and off ever since then. My vision when I qualified for SEALs, was 20/45, correctable to 20/20. That was down from 20/90 in both eyes. After stopping for a few months, my vision went back up to about 20/60-20/70. I went to BUD/S (SEALs), and did a good job, but was performance dropped due to run times. I decided to be a rescue swimmer after that. I made it through the school. Being an aircrewman, I had to take a flight physical. My vision was about 20/70-20/75. Take in note, I did not do any of the exercises for at least 6 months prior to the exam.

I was horrified when I found this out, and swore to go back to my exercises. It was around this time I discovered this site, and many of the Bate's methods. Swinging has allowed me to produce many clear flashes. I get an incredible amount during the day, usually by blinking differently, or relaxing. Using the online Snellen charts, I've found my vision to be somewhere between 20/40 and 20/60.

My question to all of you. What do you think it is that is holding me back from permanently improving my vision. Sometimes I think I should where my glasses, because maybe I forgot what 20/20 looked like. Maybe these clear flashes I'm producing on my own are not actual clear flashes, but a strain caused by the way I blink. I have not gone back to the exercises that brought me down to 20/45 for SEALs, but I think I will. Anybody have an input as to why my improvement has slowed?

Re: My quest to reattain perfect vision. - otis - 03-13-2008

Dear Ben,

Subject: All "relaxing" methods.

It is true that Bates was a leader in prevention -- his 1913 showed how dedicated he
was to that goal

Quote:My question to all of you. What do you think it is that is holding me back from permanently improving my vision. Sometimes I think I should where my glasses, because maybe I forgot what 20/20 looked like. Maybe these clear flashes I'm producing on my own are not actual clear flashes, but a strain caused by the way I blink. I have not gone back to the exercises that brought me down to 20/45 for SEALs, but I think I will. Anybody have an input as to why my improvement has slowed?

In general the DMV Leve test is for reading 3/4 inch letters at 20 feet (i.e., 20/40 or better). Some services
will permit that -- and require you only use the minus when necessary.

I also suggest methods that pilots have used to clear their Snellens:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.myopiafree.com">http://www.myopiafree.com</a><!-- w -->

The technique of "relaxing" the near vision is different from the Bates approach, but
I strongly suggest using Bated and this method. After all, it is your eyes that are
important.

Otis

Re: My quest to reattain perfect vision. - Ben Hill - 03-13-2008

It sounds like a good idea. Since my vision seems pretty stable around 20/40 during the day, and 20/60 during the night, maybe if I start using a plus lens, in addition to keeping my eyes relaxed, I'll be able to bring my vision back down to 20/20. Once down there, I should be able to retain it using the Bates methods.

Re: My quest to reattain perfect vision. - otis - 03-13-2008

Ben,

I agree!

In the 1913 study BATES WAS SUCCESSFUL!!!

So what the the powers-that-be do?

They killed the success, by claiming the kids has "muscle spasm" myopia. ???

Then the removed all the Snellens.

Then they told Bates he was a quack -- and he should "get lost".

I do not know what method you will choose. But I post here because
I OBJECT TO THAT MAJORITY-OPINION ATTITUDE.

Yes, using the "plus" is ANOTHER METHOD OF RELAXATION. It, like
Bates deserves a fair hearing. Smile

Otis

Re: My quest to reattain perfect vision. - Ben Hill - 03-13-2008

So I went out to the store today and bought a good pair of 2.00 diopter reading glasses. Takes a little getting used to, but just watching a movie on a computer and going out with the glasses off, I can already notice an improvement.

Otis...is there a certain way to use these to maximize the benefits, such as certain techniques?

Re: My quest to reattain perfect vision. - otis - 03-14-2008

Dear Ben,

You are correct -- about "dumping" that minus lens. But that is why you checked your Snellen -- so
you COULD do that.

For starting, a +2 is reasonable.

In general, you wish want to use it EFFECTIVELY. Since I know your "prescription" (probably
about -1 diopters), I know that the +2 is a good "start".

The next thing to do is to read at the "just-blur" point. (Difficult to describe.)

But here is what you do. Take some reading and hold it close. Then push it away
untill it blurrs noticeably. Then pulli it iN slightly. If you read at that distance
the preventive lens will have the maximum effect on your Snellen-clearing.

LET ME REPEAT. I am 95 percent a Bates person. So I urge you to use Bates
methods. I consider this a SLIGHT enhancement of the over-all Bates
philosophy -- of getting rid of that minus.
Smile

On this, let us remember Buckley -- "We can disagree -- without being
disagreable." Smile

Otis

Re: My quest to reattain perfect vision. - Ben Hill - 03-14-2008

I understand this is usually a temporary fix, as in it requires you to go back to the plus lenses every so often. However, if I am able to bring down my vision for a Snellen chart to 20/20 just for 1 day, I can get a flight physical done and have them dump the restriction for me to wear glasses while flying. Might be pretty hard with military doctors. I'm sure they'd be pretty skeptical if I was at 20/75 in their records and then simply read the 20/20 or 20/15 lines without anything. Although if I keep up both techniques, I should be able to keep my vision down at 20/20 or better. If such is the case, being in the military, there's a good chance of publicity, which could possibly open up some people to the Bates method. I already know that you can improve your vision with Bates. I've had clear flashes multiple times. I know my eyes can see 20/20. The trick is to make it permanent, which is more of a mental struggle than a physical one.

Otis, here's my idea for a nightly routine, in addition to wearing the plus lens for any close work during the day:

Plus Lens for Close Work

Before Bed:
Swing 100 Times (50 Each Direction) - Or more if needed.
Work on Central Fixation
10 Relaxed Eye Circles (Each Direction)
Palm for 10+ Minutes

Also, speaking of palming. Is there a comfortable way to palm. I always find it uncomfortable when I try to keep out all the light. Is there a certain position while laying down that helps keep the arms relaxed, yet still keeps out all light, or am I better off turning off the lights and palming? I always find it uncomfortable to palm for over 10min, because my arms get pretty tired, especially if I worked out earlier in the day.

Re: My quest to reattain perfect vision. - otis - 03-14-2008

Dear Ben,

Subject: "Military" (majority-opinion) ODs.

I have had some experience with military ODs. This situation is not good.

I have a friend, Captain Fred Deaking (USAF Pilot) who "went through" this issue with these
issues. Again -- not good.

Once you are reported as "myopic" THEY WILL NEVER BELIEVE YOU GOT OUT OF IT
BY ANY METHOD. PERIOD.

I would say this. As a matter of PERSONAL RESPONSIBLITY you should want to
pass at least the 20/40 line (as a FIRST GOAL) and then get close to 20/20 (and
maybe better). Only YOU are going to SEE the results.

I personally think that (if there ever is a future for true-prevention) is will be a
combination of BOTH Bates-type work, and some "relaxing" with the plus. I would
NEVER exclude these two methods -- and it must ALWAYS be a personal choice.

But you must first get close to 20/20 -- by your own efforts and PERSONAL verification. You
do that -- and these other issues can be resolved. If you don't make it -- well
they you know that also. I do not take any result as a "failure" -- but
as a true learning process, what ever the result.

More commentary:

Quote:I understand this is usually a temporary fix, as in it requires you to go back to the plus lenses every so often.

Otis> As long as you verify 20/20 -- then no plus. This is under YOUR control as is the use of Bates.

Quote:However, if I am able to bring down my vision for a Snellen chart to 20/20 just for 1 day, I can get a flight physical done and have them dump the restriction for me to wear glasses while flying.

Otis> That is correct. You confirm 20/20 at home -- then the FAA examiner should confirm the same thing in his office.

Quote:Might be pretty hard with military doctors. I'm sure they'd be pretty skeptical if I was at 20/75 in their records and then simply read the 20/20 or 20/15 lines without anything.

Otis> I have quite a few stories from Fred Deakins on these "military" ODs. They refused to believe it.

Quote:Although if I keep up both techniques, I should be able to keep my vision down at 20/20 or better.

Otis> My "advocacy" is your empowerment. It will be YOU ALONE who sees the results.

If such is the case, being in the military, there's a good chance of publicity, which could possibly open up some people to the Bates method.

Otis> I KNOW these ODs. You best bet is to keep you mouth shut. You will NEVER WIN with them. Their minds are
made up -- DON'T CONFUSE THEM WITH THE FACTS.

Quote: I already know that you can improve your vision with Bates. I've had clear flashes multiple times. I know my eyes can see 20/20. The trick is to make it permanent, which is more of a mental struggle than a physical one.

Otis> In my opinion -- it is both. It takes a 'strong mind' to do it -- by any measure.

Otis> The OBJECTIVE part is to read 20/20 to YOUR satisfaction.

Otis> I personally would think MORE of a pilot who confirmed his 20/20 vision HIMSELF -- rather
that rely on the 6 month check. Smile

Bates best,

Otis