MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Confused about nutritional supplements - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Confused about nutritional supplements - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Confused about nutritional supplements (/showthread.php?tid=768)

Confused about nutritional supplements - marlon - 04-18-2008

This is from someone who isn't a fan of food supplements:

"Most of your supplements are loaded with hidden sugars, salts and harmful fillers. You’re really better off getting the nutrients you need from FOOD."....
"The supplements industry is not only completely unregulated, it is also joined at the hip with some of the biggest pharmaceuticals companies, which have their nutritional supplements divisions. The general public has been mislead for decades to believe that dietary supplements are safe and effective means of ensuring good health, when they are, in fact, actually destroying health."

Now I'm confused. Are supplements good or bad?

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - David - 04-24-2008

Well, the author has good points, and I don't know why they shouldn't be taken into consideration. Why jump to conclusions about all supplements being good or all being bad, or take anyone's word for it?

Generally I avoid supplements. Some people have the mindset that the right nutrition is the cure for almost any disease or degeneration, but I don't. What's more, you could spend a lifetime learning all you can about nutrition and still be left having to take a lot of it on faith, being unable to actually look inside your body and see what's going on.

So I pretty much just try to eat clean and avoid food full of hormones (most commercial meat and milk) or loaded with preservatives and other shit. I add (unrefined) sea salt to some food, after having read a bit about it. And I drink green tea because it supposedly has antioxidants. Both are dirt cheap.

Dave

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - Excelsior88 - 04-25-2008

Well that's kind of the problem. We have no idea how many things actually work within the body(i.e. the eyes/mind relatinship and vision). Supplements are supposed to be there in case you are unable to get the proper nutrition from your daily diet which I've actually looked at somewhat and even the DV set by the U.S. kind of falls a little short. You really have to do you homework to get any kind of understanding of what is going on and like Dave said you would still have to rely on faith. Do what Dave does and just eat right in the first place and avoid the bad stuff until scientists/doctors learn the truth/facts behind supplements and well anything else dealing with the body. Don't wait around though because they're not truly interested in the truth because then many lose their money. Sorry for the somewhat of a rant but i take stuff like this a little personal. lol.

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - Petal - 04-27-2008

Hi,

I personally think best way to go about it is to consume in moderation. Too much of anything is really not good for the body. Example, too much carbohydrates and sugars make one obese. Too much protein is bad for the liver. Too much water will cause intoxication and dilute the blood. Probably safest thing to do is to consume a wide variety of food from different groups, exercise and relax.

Regards,
Petal

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - Kazekage - 04-27-2008

Wait, you mean too much water will intoxicate me?
I never knew that! I've been drinking water like a maniac for the past year thinking 'it won't do any damage surely'!
I thought you could drink as much of it as you want...

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - Petal - 04-27-2008

Hi,

Kazekage Wrote:Wait, you mean too much water will intoxicate me?
I never knew that! I've been drinking water like a maniac for the past year thinking 'it won't do any damage surely'!
I thought you could drink as much of it as you want...

The problem is more common than we all think. Just did a search in the web and there are plenty of information about "water intoxication". Also read a newspaper clip through email that a guy actually goes blind through drinking too much water. Probably due to water retention in the brain, pressing on the nerves cells that control vision. Drinking plenty of water is good, but it also depend on individuals in how much water is lost through the daily activities.

Regards,
Petal

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - Excelsior88 - 04-27-2008

To die from water intoxication you would have to consume large amounts of water in a short amount of time. This causes saturation of the blood and mainly the cells which causes the cells to lyse. This causes many problems especially if it happens in the brain due to nerve cells dying off. Though the only time I've heard people dying from water intoxication is when they drank a few gallons of water in an hour without doing ANY kind of physical activity that requires one to consume alot of water. So as long as you don't try to drink a couple of gallons of water in an hour you should be fine. Though if you do find yourself drinking lots of water without even thinking about it look for warning signs of intoxication such as confusion, disorientation, lack of coordination and so on. Sorry, not a doctor but i do know about this kind of stuff.

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - Excelsior88 - 04-27-2008

It's also why marathon runners can't drink just water, they need things with electrolytes(which are salts) to make sure they don't suffer from water intoxication. Look it up, it's happened. It has to do with concentrations in the body.

Re: Confused about nutritional supplements - Christine06 - 04-27-2008

Great thread,

Nutritional supplements represent a support to our body. The nutritional supplements clean the human body and restore the deficiencies present inside. While taken constantly, nutritional supplements promote good health and help prevent disease. Nutritional supplements represent a good thing that we need. It is best to satisfy the body's vitamin and mineral needs with a healthy diet. Nutritional supplements can come in all different shapes and sizes - many different nutritional supplements can make a huge difference in your life. Nutritional supplements are exactly what they imply; they are the vitamins and minerals and other nutrients that your body needs to be healthy. A quality supplement also helps you to keep control of your body weight and improve physical fitness, so an herbal nutritional supplement could help you to keep fit. As well as a depleted intake of vitamins and nutrients there are many more toxins in the atmosphere that can directly damage our vitamin levels so even those who eat a perfectly healthy diet may find benefit from taking a nutritional multivitamin supplement. Smile