MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Otis - Need your help please - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Otis - Need your help please - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Otis - Need your help please (/showthread.php?tid=823)

Pages: 1 2

Otis - Need your help please - itsme - 05-30-2008

Otis,
I came back from the eyedoctor and my current prescription for my right eye is -3.50 with -2.25 astigmatism. Pretty cool how wandering around without any prescription on the eye for 6 months did not make the myopia prescription worse but still exactly the same as how I able to reduce it from -5 !

My reason to post is because I want to reduce this prescription down to 20/40. Am I correct in reducing the myopia correction (-3.50) and not the astigmatism correction (-2.25) ? The astigmatism correction is because of the scar, it made the eye football shaped so I feel I should leave that alone. The reason I must be sure is because I want to get new contact lenses and the lens must fit the cornea perfectly.

thank you so much Smile

Re: Otis - Need your help please - otis - 05-31-2008

Dear Its Me,

I do have some suggestions.

1. Get and read your Snellen. I know that some people are over-prescribed, i.e.,
they have 20/40 (on their Snellen) yet have a -2 to -2.5 diopter perscription.

This is because some ODs LOVE to over-prescribe, others try to keep the minus
OFF the child -- until they have no choice. So I would suggest you read your
Snellen and post it here. Smile

Quote:Otis,
I came back from the eyedoctor and my current prescription for my right eye is -3.50 with -2.25 astigmatism. Pretty cool how wandering around without any prescription on the eye for 6 months did not make the myopia prescription worse but still exactly the same as how I able to reduce it from -5 !

Otis> The -2.25 astigmatism is high. Most run from zero to 1.5 diopters.

Otis> But if you wish, you can calculate the spherical equivalent, which
would be 1/2 the astigmatism value added to the spherical.
Or -4.62 approximately.

Otis> Before you do anyting -- remember I do not give medical advice.

Otis> Astigmatism can vary quite about. Some ODs don't bother with it is your
Astig value is less that -1 diopter.

Otis> But, until you provide a Snellen (in daylight and in room illumination) it
is impossible to say more.

Best,

Otis

Re: Otis - Need your help please - itsme - 06-01-2008

Hi Otis.

Thanks very much for your reply and calculation. I am wondering though if the size and shape of the contact lens is according to the astigmatism correction or is it SOLEY the base curve & other measurement ? Do you know ? Because if I reduce
the astig even a bit, I am worried it will not sit right on my cornea ? ( I couldn't address my plans to my optometrist as she thinks that if she gives me 20/40 pretty soon she thinks I will be 20/50 !) :-[

My vision was only correctible up to 90%, so it is not 100 % on the best line. But the best I can see in a well- lighted area on the Snellen is 20/30. For some wierd reason this prescription screws up my near (reading) vision. It is very blurry and feels
overmagnified. I am guessing it is because it is an injury and not a normal astig. But what I discovered interestingly when I put on my +2 reading glasses, I could see almost perfectly ! ??? This is even more reason to reduce the prescription in that eye because most of my life is spent in front of a computer, and not seeing far.

Best to you ! Smile

Re: Otis - Need your help please - clarknight - 06-01-2008

Contact lenses are very harmful . They cause cornea and eye infection, injury.
Contact lenses can easily scrape, infect and scar the cornea especially when the cornea/eye also contains astigmatism causing a uneven eye/cornea shape.
Infection can go into the eye.
The type, placement, amount of astigmatism can change frequently so it is impossible to prescribe a correct, safe fitting astigmatism correction in eyeglasses and contact lenses.
Keeping the astigmatism correction in the eyeglass or contact lense keeps the eye muscle causing the astigmatism tense, maintaining and increasing the astigmatism.
Astigmatism caused by a scar will be increased and other forms of astigmatism can develope by use of astigmatism corrections in eyeglass/contact lenses.
Contact lenses cause frequent eye injury.
Have you seen the news reports of contact lenses and the lense cleaning solutions causing eye infection, injury and loss of the eye?!
The lenses can do this alone without the solution.
One person lost both eyes, both eyes had to be removed because the infection caused by contact lenses and solution traveled into both left and right eyes.
A cornea that is already scarred is very easily scraped, infected by contact lenses.
Please avoid contact lenses.
Do not listen to anyone that trys to talk you into buying contact lenses.
Some people claim to be Bates teachers but they are really trying to direct you to web sites owned by the optical industry.
Try to use reduced eyeglass lenses without astigmatism corrections if you must wear glasses for driving...
If you must have a astigmatism correction to see, place a reduced astigmatism prescriptoion in a spare 20/40 reduced pair of eyeglass lenses and use these only when absolutely necessary.
Also; the shape of the eye and cornea changes when the Bates method is practiced as the eye muscles relax, function correct, and the eye/cornea is returning to normal shape.
The contact lenses will not fit the changing cornea shape and can result in cornea injury.
Even when vision is clear the eye, cornea changes shape when focusing close and far, when the body is stressed, relaxed, sleeping, awake, hormone and other body changes, taking medicine...
A correct prescription for contact lenses and eyeglasses is never perfect and often very imperfect.

Re: Otis - Need your help please - otis - 06-01-2008

Clark Night is correct.

Bates is correct.

If we could get kids to follow his advice (and the parents to support it), then
they would have at least a fighting chance to keep their vision clear -- for life.

As far as conctacts go -- that is the worst answer -- simply because you
are wearing that strong minus ALL THE TIME.

I know we have our various arguments about this -- but Bates was correct in
this area.

Sorry I can't help you. :'(

Otis

Re: Otis - Need your help please - itsme - 06-02-2008

Thanks for your concern and advice, Friends. I wish I could have known the correct approach to deal with my vision
problems because no doubt it would have been a low minus at that time. Of course, I was only a child in grade 6!
I know when I first got my glasses, pretty soon I couldn't see anything near. Everything seemed so much
smaller. I'm pretty sure too that my 1st optometrist overcorrected my eyes.

My trouble that resulted in a scar didn't come from contacts or the solution, but from a plant source
that had fungus. This also contaminated my pet. I should have washed my hands.. now I'm a compulsive hand washer. But still, indeed, contacts are to be taken seriously..
Regards, its me ^-^

Re: Otis - Need your help please - clarknight - 08-28-2008

Otis,
You advise use of plus lensesto improve distant vision?
As a Natural Eyesight Improvement student I was taught to never wear eyeglass lenses prescribed for close vision for distant and not to wear distant lenses for close.
Please describe exactly what these lenses are.
Are the plus lenses close vision lenses worn for distance?
Can the person see clear at the distant through the close vision lenses, (plus?) lenses?
Thanks,
Clark Night

Re: Otis - Need your help please - Ram - 08-28-2008

The use of plus lenses relies on the theory that a hyperopic blur at near point stimulates the eyeball to elongate axially. The use of plus lenses remove the hypermetropic blur at near point and helps prevent( and reverse) myopia.

But this is not Bates approach. The above may work for some people with low myopia ( as in pseudo myopia). Once you have permanent myopia there is probably no short cut than recourse to following Bates earnestly.

Moreover the use of plus lenses may reduce myopia a bit, but may instead cause hyperopia in the same way myopia glasses accelerate the progress of myopia. You could be left with a situation of being both myopic and hyperpic at the same time and that would be terrible. Be very careful with plus lenses - instead follow Bates with no side effects.

Re: Otis - Need your help please - itsme - 08-28-2008

I think Otis had discussed the possible risks of hyperopia with + lens therapy for adults with staircase myopia.
My understanding is that he was more an advocate of this therapy for young children.. those who haven't yet had their 1st pair of glasses. These children would respond probably very rapidly ..

I wore + lenses only at work for about a year. I think it was about that long.. They were really great because my eyestrain
became completely nonexistant.. You know how it feels at the end of the day with "computer eyes".. I never had that anymore.
My eyes felt relaxed and happy. My eyes really did improve while on them. Whenever I took them off my far vision was
so clear and sharp. It was instant gratification. I don't want to bore people with the same story but as a lot of you know
my vision improved by 1.5 diopeters... also the astigmatism was completely gone.

Since being off work due to sick leave, I had stopped the + lens therapy .. mainly due to the fact I wasn't on the computer a whole lot and was not reading much either. But as I was getting better from my injuries, I thought I'd try them again. It was during that time, my conversations with John Yee started. He advised me not to continue as it would jam up other muscles in my eye and should I proceed with Ortho C it might be impossible to unjam. So, since that time I have not resumed the therapy and probably will never.

I guess all in all + lens therapy was successful for me, but perhaps longer term, yes, it could have 'backfired' ..

That's my testimony.

Regards, Its Smile me

Re: Otis - Need your help please - clarknight - 08-28-2008

Thanks.
My teachers give the same advice and more warnings.

Re: Otis - Need your help please - Ram - 08-29-2008

itsme Wrote:I wore + lenses only at work for about a year. I think it was about that long.. They were really great because my eyestrain
became completely nonexistant.. You know how it feels at the end of the day with "computer eyes".. I never had that anymore.
My eyes felt relaxed and happy. My eyes really did improve while on them. Whenever I took them off my far vision was
so clear and sharp. It was instant gratification. I don't want to bore people with the same story but as a lot of you know
my vision improved by 1.5 diopeters... also the astigmatism was completely gone.

itsme - you had a fair amount of myopia dont you? And I am wondering how you could work on the computer with + lenses. + lenses produce more myopia on a myope and you wont be able to see anything clear right?

So were you wearing these + lenses on the top of your - lenses? In that case how is this different from wearing a weaker minus prescription? And if this is the case why would u say plus lenses helped you?

I agree that plus lenses are soothing on the eye for close viewing and could help prevent myopia in susceptible children.

Re: Otis - Need your help please - itsme - 08-29-2008

Hi, Ram.
My myopia at the time I started + lens therapy was :
-6 in left eye with -.75 astig
-5 in right eye with -.75 astig

After 1 year with +lens therapy I was:
-4.5 in left eye with no astig.
-3.5 in right eye with no astig.
((note: my right eye because of fungal keratitis in Oct. 2007 became -3.5 with -2.75 astig. due to scar, they say.
John Yee thinks differently, and based on the fact that he seems to know the eye really well (conversations, reading
his book), that is why I choose to try Ortho C sometime next year.))

The +lens glasses I chose to wear was +2. Yes, I wore these over my already 20/40 contact lenses which eventuall became
20/20 ! I wore them only when I was reading or working on the computer (which was pretty much 100% of my work time!). The computer screen therefore was much easier to read because the letters in the words became bigger. I believe that wearing weaker prescription contact lenses would/could be equal to the +lens and contacts method I did.. However, if I wore these really weak contact lenses I wouldn't be able to see far.. ie. read the overhead screen at meetings at work, and more importantly drive to and from work. If I wore my regular contact lenses and had my +lenses I was able to use the + lenses whenever it was applicable..
I hope that makes sense..

Currently, I am just wearing reduced contact lenses and glasses to 20/40. I have trained myself not to strain if I
can't see something sharp faraway.. I just don't let it bother me or I move closer. All in all, I find you really don't
need to see 20/20 for most things in life... mmm except for driving if you are in strange places and you have
to read the signs.. ? In that case, you would just pop on your regular prescription. That is not even a common
occurance in my life, anyway..

Regards, Its Smile me

Re: Otis - Need your help please - Ram - 08-30-2008

So effectively you improved your vision by using weaker prescription. If you used a +2D on the top of normal prescription then it is a really weak prescription proabably giving you only 20/100 at the distance but still good enough for close work.

Though I have not been driving for the last four months, I had been able to drive without problems with 20/100 (weaker glasses) for the last four years.You really dont see many things with this VA but I found that driving is more about driving skills and reflexes than good vision. Yes it is a bit difficult in strange places with lesser vision, but I still used to drive inter-state with 20/100 and it was ok except at night.

I will start driving without glasses once I reach a consistant 20/150 without glasses. There are no legal visual limits for driving in my state. It is probably far too risky to drive now because my vision is not steady enough at 20/200 and frequently drops to less than 10/200 which is very damgerous for driving.

Re: Otis - Need your help please - otis - 08-30-2008

Dear ItsMe,

Sounds like progress.

As you know, I advocate any an all methods that work for you.

Quote:My myopia at the time I started + lens therapy was :
-6 in left eye with -.75 astig
-5 in right eye with -.75 astig

Quote:After 1 year with +lens therapy I was:
-4.5 in left eye with no astig.
-3.5 in right eye with no astig.

You have supplied the helpe you need. If you need further help,
just let me know.

Prograss of that magnitude -- is denied by almost all majority-opinion ODs.

Otis

Re: Otis - Need your help please - itsme - 08-30-2008

Absolutely correct. Ram. It may be viewed altogether as a weaker prescription. I think that not wearing any prescription
or at least very little prescription for reading is really key. When we read our eyes naturally bulge, and if we are wearing our
high minus prescriptions, it makes the eye bulge even more, and thus forces it to become locked in even more..

The prescription I wore altogether was just weak/strong (depending how you view) enough so that I could see the computer, because being quite nearsighted, I wouldn't have been able to see it on my own. I really quite enjoyed it.. like, when people would come up to me.. I knew who they were, but their facial expressions weren't sharp, it was all soft and a bit blurry..
In a way it made me more relaxed LOL ! And in a romantic way, the world became more dreamy.. What I didn't know
until later, is that this is what actually helped me to stop straining to see and use my imagination ! Big Grin

Wow, that's pretty incredible you drive with 20/100.. I actually feel worried for you, because I wouldn't do that..
I think this prescription is too weak to be driving. I suppose if you feel confident, and you know your surroundings, and there's good sunlight.. but still I'm thinkingabout those grey cars on the pavement, people darting abandonly over the street in black..maybe you have neither where you live ! LOL .. I hope you don't feel offended by my comment..
I do agree with you that driving involves more than good vision, but it works hand in hand with skills and reflexes .

Regards, Its Smile me