MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) (/showthread.php?tid=839)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - overkill - 07-05-2008

itsme, can you tell me if your copy contains testimonials from people who have used the system ?

Also, since you mention communication with John, I wonder what kind of experience others here have had with him ?

My observation has been that he seems friendly and willing to help but I have been quite frustrated sometimes with the lack of detail in the replies that I have received. On the other hand I have not ordered contacts and he may be more attentive to those who have - or at least I hope that's the case.

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - itsme - 07-05-2008

Hi Overkill. Yes mine has testimonials.. they are at the back of the book. I always like to read those,..they are interesting feedback .

Well, I can only speak for myself.. My communication with John has been very good. I like him, he's very personable. I explained to him my special situation with my eye (had fungal keratitis) and we had a good chat about that and all round he seems accomodating. I felt his fee was very reasonable, considering he would be offering personal email support as well. I think, that kind of jives with the testimonies..

Actually Otis Brown has a nice endorsement at the back of John's book.. I haven't seen him post lately, but Otis
if you read this, do you know John personally ?

Regards, Its me Smile

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - otis - 07-06-2008

Dear ItsMe,

Yes, I support any and all who are helping you work to clear your Snellen.

Quote:Actually Otis Brown has a nice endorsement at the back of John's book.. I haven't seen him post lately, but Otis
if you read this, do you know John personally ?

I consider this to be a "stepping stone" to clearing your vision -- provided you are willing to work
with your own Snellen and confirm your results.

This has been Dr. Bates thesis -- from the start.

Enjoy,

Otis

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - overkill - 07-06-2008

itsme, I am sorry to read about the condition. I have to admit I am ignorant about this, but I hope you are able to overcome it.

About the testimonials... Have you contacted any of the individuals listed ? I would expect that you could get a better feel for the efficacy of the ortho-c therapy just by getting feedback from them.

Also, I just can't help asking a really stupid question here: My objective is to try and improve my daughter's eyesight. I really want to see how these therapeutic contact lenses feel before having her try them, so I am thinking I will order a pair for myself first. This is the dumb bit: I do not have a problem with near-sightedness, but I am thinking that at the very least if a try a pair of these things in my eyes I will know how it will feel for her. I would guess that any optician/optometrist helping me will think I am nuts.

Can anyone here make a judgement as to whether this makes sense and provide any suggestions ?

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - itsme - 07-06-2008

Hi Overkill. Thank you for your concern over my fungal keratitis. I am glad to say it's all over now. My eye was saved, but
I ended up with very high astigmatism and a bit of scar over central fixation. My conversation with John circulated around that topic and if my astigmatism could be cured also. I feel very hopeful that it could be minimized by at least 1/2. Smile

I have not contacted any of the people in the testimonials. I had considered it though, but I guess hadn't
made a firm decision because I haven't even completely finished reading the book yet ! eek. (I've been so busy..
my mom has a broken foot).

I don't think your question is stupid as you are concerned for your daughter, but honestly I don't think it'll work for this.
The lenses (I think he also calls them plano lenses) have to be ordered by John, and I cannot see him giving
you lenses that you don't need. ie. What would be the measurements of the lens if you don't have myopia?
The optometrist's role is only to take your eye measurements and K reading . I have read though that those who have never worn contact lenses, have used an optometrist/optician to help them learn to insert/take them out.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

Regards, Its me Smile

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - overkill - 07-06-2008

itsme, thank you for your sensible reply. You did correctly understand my question and your reply is entirely rational. The thing is that I am concerned not only with the process of inserting and removing the lenses but also with the matter of potential damage that may occur to the eye. I expect that it would not cause damage, but it's a risk that weighs very heavily.

I do happen to have developed a problem with seeing things up-close. I can read much more comfortably with a pair of reading glasses (I guess these are known as plus-lenses or something). I know that ortho-c is not meant to correct that condition - I am just looking for a reason to order a pair for myself first.

A more realistic second-best approach would be for me to get corroboration from as many people as possible on the harmlessness and effectiveness. It would be hugely advantageous to have a medical doctor also confirm this (mostly from the point of view of overcoming any objections my wife would have).

Any advice is appreciated...

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - itsme - 07-06-2008

Hi Overkill. Your concerns are very valid.. The potential damage to the eye, I agree, is extremely slim, considering one
just wears it for a minute & a half, once a week (I think?). Still when it comes to your child, it's not you.. right ? And
then as you said, you need agreement from your wife. Aren't those people who live in Toronto lucky ? They get to see John personally !

I think if Jay commits to going ahead with Ortho C, and starts up some kind of blog, that might be very helpful
to all of us.

Regards, Its me Smile

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - Varangian - 07-07-2008

I wouldn't mind trying them... i was considering ... unfortunately sometimes John feels like not to respond and answer my questions, sort of goes hiberating for some time.

First step is to get the kerometer reading of the eye, from that point I think he would send you the lenses

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - overkill - 07-07-2008

Varangian's experience of communicating with John has been exactly consistent with mine. I think you have to assume that if you can get your questions answered in your first email then you're good, otherwise you are in limbo.

At the risk of sounding stupid I have these questions for anyone who cares to answer:

1. Is a kerometer reading automatically taken by any opticina/optometrist/opthalmologist when you go for an eye exam or prescription glasses/contacts - or do you specifically have to ask for it ?

2. Who is Otis Brown ?

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - Varangian - 07-07-2008

Overkill ... I think I just go blindly into the optician shops asking "do you offer keratometer reading?" .... I hope they just understand what I mean.

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - itsme - 07-07-2008

I would say, from reading this website, that in your previous eye exams you would have had a keratometer reading -
especially if you already wear contacts or have astigmatism. I know for sure I must have one from my last visit in June. :-\
See this link..
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.optivision2020.com/keratometer.html">http://www.optivision2020.com/keratometer.html</a><!-- m -->

I would just call the receptionist at the eye doctor and ask if it's in your file. They should be able to give it to you,
But I am thinking, even so, it would be wise to get it checked again just before Ortho C. It has to be exact.
.............................................................................................

Definition: A keratometer is a medical instrument that uses corneal reflections to measure the curvature of the cornea to determine how flat or steep the cornea is compared to average or normal. It is often used to measure and diagnose conditions such as astigmatism, keratonus, corneal scarring and corneal distortion. A keratometer is commonly used to appropriately fit contact lenses as well.
Also Known As: ophthalmometer

Otis S, Brown is author of the book "How to Avoid Nearsightedness". He regularly posts on vision improvement forums.

Regards, Its me Smile

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - overkill - 07-07-2008

Message for Otis:

If you have endorsed John's ortho-c system I assume that means that you have some reason to believe that it is effective. Can you please tell us what you know (and I am sorry if I am just getting you to repeat what you have previously stated).

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - Bifocal - 07-07-2008

It seems like it would be worth a try for those of you that have occasional clear flashs that never seem to go anywhere.

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - julesmoz - 04-22-2009

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but I am quite interested in Ortho-C, so I'm hoping to revive it : )

I would like to order John's lenses, but I cannot find a place to order them. For those of you who have his book, is this information included in the book?

Thanks so much!

Re: Orthoculogy (Ortho C) - itsme - 04-25-2009

Seems like it's been ages since I last visited here but saw your post.

The website is still in existance so here it is: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reversingnearsightedness.com/">http://www.reversingnearsightedness.com/</a><!-- m -->
If things are still the same, you will need to abstain from any prescription for at least 2 weeks prior to Ortho C.
Jay started it initially but had to back down so there's no one here that can give you a testimonial.

Regards, Its Smile me