MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Detecting pseudomyopia? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Detecting pseudomyopia? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Detecting pseudomyopia? (/showthread.php?tid=915)

Detecting pseudomyopia? - Mihai_alexandru - 07-20-2008

Since I only have -0.5 diopters and I do a lot of close work I though that maybe I have pseudomyopia. I've tried to read about it on the forum and on the internet to prevent opening yet another topic but I still have some questions to ask about it.

The doctor said three months ago that I have myopia, but I have heard that some patients are told to have myopia but after some months they return cured, and observe the fact that they actually had pseudomyopia instead.

How can I know that I've got pseudomyopia?

I've tried some experimenting today. I've tried rolling my eyes, they hurt in some places. Also, I've heard and felt a crack in some muscles and soon after that my peripheral vision expanded and my eyes felt more comfortable and light. Another thing is that when I look in the distance (clouds mainly) distant vision clears up very quickly. The feeling of strain that I have is of a swollen right eye. Left feel light and normal, just like before.

Bates says that myopia is caused by the strain to see distant objects, but I don't think that I strained to see distant objects that much. Some months ago I've had my computer screen in an awkward position, pretty far off from my eyes. Since the distance was rather big I strained to see for some time, but I'm sure that counts for near point strain.

Any thoughts about this?

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - David - 07-20-2008

Mihai_alexandru Wrote:The doctor said three months ago that I have myopia, but I have heard that some patients are told to have myopia but after some months they return cured, and observe the fact that they actually had pseudomyopia instead.

Dude, think about that. You have myopia. You return later after doing the Bates method, and you don't have it. Therefore, you never had it, because it's incurable. Don't you see what's going on here?

There is no practical reason to try to differentiate between pseudomyopia and myopia. If there is any physiological difference, there is no practical difference in reversing it. See the Critics & Skeptics forum for more discussion on it.

Dave

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - Mihai_alexandru - 07-20-2008

I understand but if my myopia or "pseudomyopia" is caused by a huge amount of near work that would be important to me, because I would know how to better treat the problem. Maybe take a few days of total abstinence from the PC? I would like to know more about this pseudomyopia thing. Because every time I do close work I feel strain in the eyes, although I try to shift often and use my central fixation, blink, etc.

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - harold08 - 07-20-2008

What is pseudomyopia? i've never heard of it before...

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - Ram - 07-20-2008

Mihai_alexandru Wrote:I understand but if my myopia or "pseudomyopia" is caused by a huge amount of near work that would be important to me, because I would know how to better treat the problem. Maybe take a few days of total abstinence from the PC? I would like to know more about this pseudomyopia thing. Because every time I do close work I feel strain in the eyes, although I try to shift often and use my central fixation, blink, etc.

Try to find out why close work is affecting you. Taking a leave may help temporarily but unless you work on the cause itself, the 'pseudomyopia' is going to return when you resume closework. Keep up your eye routines - your problems should get fixed in due course..

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - David - 07-23-2008

Pseudomyopia discussed here:
http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - Mihai_alexandru - 07-26-2008

Well I've done some experimenting and it seems that all the pain from the right eye is pretty much gone. It seems I locked my view before on different points of an objects, and that caused strain and pain. My attention was on my eyes and not on the images and that caused spasms. Now I am letting my eyes move more freely and I even see better. Blinking is much more comfortable and clear images don't go away after blinking. They stay the same.

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - Esie - 10-10-2010

hi,..!!
seraulu1...how can i detect, the pseudomyopia?
thnks i advance,..!!
God bless....

cheers,
how to deal with depression

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - Kloyd Niel - 10-10-2010

We were talking about pseudomyopia with Dr. Stacy and I wanted to ask
out here, what exactly is pseudomyopia is and what kind of therapy is
suggested to treat this condition.

A website says;
Hello,

Overuse of the eyes for close work in poor or glaring light can also
cause pseudomyopia.

* As with other types of accommodative anomalies, a vision therapy
program for accommodative excess usually requires 12 to 24 office
visits if no home therapy is done.
* Again, if the patient does exercises at home, the improvement will
be seen much more quickly, usually 8 to 12 weeks.
* In cases of pseudomyopia and accommodative excess, vision therapy
is aimed at reducing excessive accommodative effort and improving
accommodative control.
* Procedures similar to those used in treating accommodative
infacility may be used.
* In addition, general relaxation therapy techniques may be of benefit.

how to treat depression

Re: Detecting pseudomyopia? - KevenShahin - 10-12-2010

I work at my computer everyday for probably atleast 9 hours per day! Do you think my eyes are at risk? What can I do to make sure I keep good eyesight?