Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mirrors
Hi David - I have a question I think only you can answer. There's something that's really confusing me:

Alright, so I have a mirror set up in my room and it reflects the other end of the room which is about 14 feet away. When I stand in front of this mirror at about 1 foot from it and look at the reflection, I automatically 'assume' that what I am looking at is actually 14 feet away from me. Therefore, the objects in the reflection are blurry. It occurred to me yesterday that I am straining to see something that I believe to be 14 feet away and therefore mis-focusing on what is actually only 1 foot away from me. Am I correct to think that what is 'on' the mirror is 2-dimensional and at a single distance of 1 foot? Which would mean that if I focus on the mirror as it's own object - as though it were a painting 1 foot away from me - everything it reflects would be clear? I'm so confused because I tried to look at the mirror this way and things started to clear up for me but then I overthought the whole thing and lost it. I'm sure you'd like to tell me to stop thinking about it and just look at it, but honestly I feel like I have a habitual distance-gauge which refuses to let me see something at 1foot that I "know" to be 14 feet away from me. :-\

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now

Messages In This Thread
mirrors - by seetheleaves - 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Re: mirrors - by Pikachu - 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Re: mirrors - by David - 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Re: mirrors - by seetheleaves - 11-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Re: mirrors - by Pikachu - 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Re: mirrors - by FIAT2LUX - 12-05-2011, 05:29 PM