Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking one thing best.
Hello everybody. I am new to this forum but not new to the Bates Method. I have years of experience of getting it wrong.

I have read from this site a few times and have found the posts helpful and insightful. I am contributing now because of my latest conclusions based on what I have read from others and my own experience.

This is my own success story in that I think I have finally pin-pointed the key to vision improvement. It makes sense of all my past failure and aligns with the teachings of Dr Bates.

Whenever I experienced a clear flash, it came after a moment of focused attention. I often would ask myself afterwards, "What was it I was thinking when that happened?" As for my eyes, I wasn't even aware I was doing anything with them.

Whenever I experienced a longer period of better-than-usual vision, it was always during a time of generally focused activity. I either didn't have time to think about my eyes or I had decided I didn't want to be thinking about my eyes in case I made them strain more and missed something.

There had been times in the past when I would employ a technique such as swinging or shifting, or even a technique of my own devising. These techniques would either be physical or mental in nature. For a while a particular thing would work like magic, giving me near 20/20 vision for longer periods of time over maybe a couple of days or nearly a week. Then it would suddenly stop working and even become a strain. I would be left utterly demoralised, wondering if I will ever be able to see normally. My miracle cure had stopped working and my sight would return to it's previous state. This happened on numerous occasions with different techniques.

Recently I have realised, after reading posts on this site, that it is not so much seeing one thing best but thinking one thing best which is the key to success with the Bates Method. My own experience backs this up. Over the past several days I have been focussing my awareness. I have done this in various ways such as:

Focussing on the here-and-now. I am not good at living in the present and I find the practise uncomfortable, but as a result all other thoughts about other things outside of the present moment fall by the wayside somewhat and my mind is centralised in the moment.

Thinking generally but simply about the activity I am doing. For example - "I am watching my son's swimming lesson". I have to qualify such a thought with things like "This is all I am doing - not straining, just watching". Basically I am getting the message to my mind that what I am doing is utterly simple.

Letting my attention shift naturally, unforced, between various points such as things going on around me to sensations around my eyes and then maybe back to a visual point or a particular thought which something triggers. This I do in a relaxed way.

Thinking about one thing while maintaining an easy awareness of my visual field. While being aware specifically of both things I think my attention jumps backwards and forwards between what I am seeing and what I am thinking so that my attention is always on one thing best.

I have found that by focusing my attention in general (not just visual attention but mainly mental attention) has brought about a much more consistent and greatly improved level of vision. I still need to practise this and I still have a long way to go but I do believe I am on the right road now.

My theory is that a focused mind brings about focused eyes. I have spent most of my time not thinking about anything in particular but everything at once with dissipated attention. No wonder I'm not terribly "switched on" most of the time! During those times when a technique was working well, I believe that my mind was focused on that technique. I really was thinking one thing best. But I focused on the technique rather than understanding why it was working. After a while I suppose either my brain got tired from focussing too much on one thing, or my general attention began to dissipate again. Not quite sure what happened really. Even now I have to change what my mind is focused on. I need to keep my mind focused on something though and I think it desperately needs the stimulation as I seem to take very little interest in anything. I find that even thinking about mundane things which I look at clears my vision. This is helpful if I am in danger of being bored like when I am waiting in the car while my wife is on a shopping rampage with my credit card after saying she is just popping into the supermarket for some milk.

I would say it's all about being relaxed, easy thoughts, natural shifting of attention, a holistic kind of awareness, thinking about the things you are seeing, engaging in life with your whole person and whole attention. Would we not rather be truly involved with the world around us without having to think about our eyesight? Isn't this how normal sighted people operate. They are thinking one thing best and fully engaging their whole being in each moment.

My prescription is -4 in one eye and -3.75 in the other. This is so you know that I do have a not insignificant level of myopia and that the level of vision improvement the Bates Method has gained me is generally substantial.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download

Messages In This Thread
Thinking one thing best. - by jimboaxeman - 02-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by Nini - 02-03-2013, 03:24 AM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by jimboaxeman - 02-03-2013, 06:02 AM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by Nini - 02-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by jimboaxeman - 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by eaglevision - 02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by jimboaxeman - 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by eaglevision - 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by jimboaxeman - 02-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Re: Thinking one thing best. - by Nini - 02-04-2013, 02:20 AM