Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dedicated to the one I love
I started to research and practice bates method while pregnant with my son December 2005.  I wasn't regular about it, but I could still produce clear flashes.  Then my son was born and work got busy and I slacked on the few exercises I was doing.  At night, while rocking my son to sleep, I would try to relax my eyes and face.  One day, I noticed my son copying me.  While holding him, I would tilt my head back to see him clearly below my glasses, so he started titling his head back to look at me.  While it was very cute, it was also very concerning.  I originally started trying to correct my vision after learning that children copy their parents in every way possible, even the subtle ways we don't notice.  Therefore, the fact that glasses tend to run in the family can be attributed to children learning to see poorly from their parents, not genetics.
I got more serious about correcting my vision, glasses are a curse, and so is not being able to see.  My prescription was at -5.5 and -5.25 (left adn right) with cylinder -0.50 in both eyes.  The first thing I did was buy pinhole glasses, around January of 2007, since I am not comfortable with being unable to see while watching a curious infant that mouths everything.  Those were a complete bust.  We lost them almost immediately, mostly because we couldn't see through them.  We called the manufacturer and they said it could take up to a month to adjust.
So I went back to the computer and did some research.  The exercises I had been doing up to this point were just to relax my eyes and face, there was/is a tremendous amount of tension that I carry around in my face.  I would look at the eyechart hanging next to my computer and relax.  I also did palming on occasion.  After research, I decided to start swinging and also doing circles wtih my eyes.  At first, to make a circle with my eye hurt, my eyes were stiff and not used to the exercises.
I then bought a pair of reduced prescription glasses from zennioptical.com around February 2007.  I reduced my prescription to 4.5 in both eyes.  I was surprised when I put them on and could still read 0/20 on the Snellen, just not as clearly.
Then I discovered a book by Meir Schneider called Movement for Self Healing.  It was recommended to me on anther thread on this website.  It was a wonderful and inspiration book.  It has helped me in so many ways, not just my eyes.  I have realized I carry a lot of tension in my entire body, and I have noticed an increase in energy since practicing relaxing that tension.  I began to practice more and better.  I would come home from work and sit in the back yard while my son played in the dirt and look at a distance.  Shifting from 3 or 4 distant objects.  Then gradually decreasing the distance and shifting back and forth again.  I also added some other exercises from the book for other issues in my life.
In March I purchased the Visual Improvement kit by Meir Schneider, I have only made it to the first exercise.  Which is the same as before, looking into the distance.  But now I take a break twice at work to go outside and look into the distance.  Usually the sun is too intense, so I will rotate the looking with sunning.  After sunning, I can sometimes see easier, the bright sun isn't as bothersome.  then I return to my desk and palm, it only takes a few minutes for the bright colors to dissipate.  I can relax my eyes at a much quicker rate now than I could before.  I also rotate my eyes in circles, swing, and stretch my neck, shoulders and back atleast twice a day, usually at my desk.  And I try to look away while in my office, I hung some pictures up on the further wall, my inspiration, my love, my life, my son.
I can now see that there is a letter at the top of the eyechart, whereas a year ago I could not tell where the eyechart was at if it was on a white wall.  I have also had clearer flashes lasting several minutes.  After waking up one morning, I went into the closes to get my clothes and thought the clothes hangers looked clearer, so I looked and my alarm clock and was surprised to see the numbers.  I now go without my glasses more often, which is also easier to do now that my son is 1, though still very troublesome.  I can now see my computer screen without glasses, even though it is setting on the edge of my desk and is set on the high definition handicap accesibility.
Every afternoon I go for a walk and practice relaxing my face and looking into the distance.  I also pay attention to how I walk and hold my body, relaxing unnecessary musckes, keeping my center of gravity just below my belly button, and spreading my weight evenly on my feet.  I am ready for an even lower prescription.  This time I think I will decrease it to -3.5 and reduce the cylinders to -0.25, which should have an overall effect of changing my prescription by 1.5 points (cylinder is twice as strong so, decreasing it by 0.25 actually changes the script by 0.5).  I'd rather change it too little than too much.  I'll keep you posted, I don't wamt to get too long.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now

Messages In This Thread
Dedicated to the one I love - by cheletwin2 - 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Re: Dedicated to the one I love - by apavel - 05-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Re: Dedicated to the one I love - by elias - 05-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Re: Dedicated to the one I love - by David - 05-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Re: Dedicated to the one I love - by cheletwin2 - 05-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Re: Dedicated to the one I love - by otis - 06-01-2007, 02:09 PM