MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
i see illusions when i try to sleep

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i see illusions when i try to sleep
im very nearsighted.
manytimes when i am laid down on the bed either to sleep, take a nap or a rest
i see these random 2~5 seconds illusions such as my hand movements, flowers, random landscapes and this is not dream my conscious is awake. sometimes i see exactly what i would see if my eyes would been open which is the wall or the ceiling of my room. often its so vivid that i couldnt simply tell whether its real or not, but its illusions because i know my eyelids are closed. . i was wondering if its unhealthy phase
I don't think that Dr. Bates discussed this issue.
Look up the term "night terrors". It might be what you are describing. I've went through periods of experiencing night terrors. It can be disconcerting and even frightening but is quite common and does not indicate anything bad. Often it is fun and worth experiencing. Smile
You're asking if it's unhealthy? Is there something that would lead you to believe so?

Imagery while half asleep is calleds hypnogogic imagery. It's an interesting thing. People with normal vision get it too. I think it's pretty common. I get that now and then, and probably much more often than I remember. I get woken startled awake by sounds sometimes, and I'm not always sure if they were real. This morning I was calmly half-asleep, not wanting to wake, and I got startled awake by a woman suddenly saying my name, and nobody was there. Come to think of it, I get startled awake by real and imagined sudden sounds on a constant basis. Go figure.

On that note, one time as I was waking I became conscious of my state, and as I was lying there I was able to move back and forth between hearing imagined sounds (such as people moving in the room) and real sounds (such as the noisy fans in the computer running).

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
actually i was aware of hypnogogic imagery and i also often get that experience in the morning or during literally half asleep. during hypnogogic imagery even if what you see doesnt make any sense you don't realized they are fake because you are too sleepy to care about it and just follow to believe they are real before waking up. i experience all that too. but the illusions i was mentioning are accompanied with normal daylife consciousness. any chance it could be a short experience of "imagination of normal eyesight" rather than hypnogogic imagery since it happens while im resting in relaxation on bed?

it was my misstake to post this on "Other Eyesight Topics" i meant to post it on "Bates Method" session
Quote:You're asking if it's unhealthy? Is there something that would lead you to believe so?

no i dont feel any discomfort and rather its fun
When I was younger I was rather addicted to flash games, and after playing one for a while if I closed my eyes I would still be able to "see" the game. It wasn't an afterimage; it was more of a very solid visualization, maybe a continuation of the visual patterns I got accustomed to seeing on the screen. These were especially prevalent if there was some repetitive motion in the game, like the character's legs walking. Is that what you mean?

David Wrote:Imagery while half asleep is calleds hypnogogic imagery. It's an interesting thing. People with normal vision get it too.
I think I had that recently! I woke up to a wispy ghostly voice saying, "Breathe" followed by two syllables I couldn't catch.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now