MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Parents and glasses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parents and glasses
Scythe Wrote:Hi, my name is Chris

I am another myope and according to my contact lenses I have -3.5 on my right eye and 3.75 on my left. I have had glasses for four years. At first I did not use them until I needed to but I always somehow lost them or broke them. My mother got fed up and said to wear them all the time. I assumed it was better that way, besides it was frustrating not to see anything in detail unless I am relatively close to it. I assumed it was for the best and I heard that if you took them off after wearing them for an extended time your vision gets worse, it just gave me more incentive to keep them on.

When I started my senior year, I just had fully realized that I was strongly dependent on them. When I took them off briefly and looked at the world around me. I had forgotten how bad my vision was but also I had forgotten what it's like to look around with eyes free from glasses and contacts. With glasses there is obviously the lack of peripheral vision and with contacts, you feel that it was there and when I got a bit of dust in my eye it burned like hell for several minutes. Also they were a bi**h to put on every other morning.

I initially thought of getting Lasik surgery when I was in my early twenties, but a little research on the risks involved such as blindness I stepped back. Nobody knows whether or not there are long term effects since it is relatively new tech. It just seemed hopeless from there on, then I recalled reading an article of these eye exercises. I looked more into that and I came across the Bates method. However, I visited a site that was selling their kit on improving your eyes naturally for a price of more than 300 dollars! Then I dismissed it as I cleaned my eye 'crutches' with my shirt. This was late in 2005.

A few days ago on a forum I usually lurked someone made a thread about the Bates method. I came up with the same results as last time with people selling the method at an unbelievable price. I did some research on Bates himself and then I thought "there has to be a forum" just two days ago I had found this forum. Coming to this site was one of the best things that has happened to me in a very very long time. Reading about someone's clear flashes made it all so inspiring. I decided to give this method a shot. However, I can't. If I forgo without my glasses now, my mother will give me hell about it. I will start doing the Bates method when I'm go to my first year in college and turn eighteen (August 29th).

Hi Chris,

I don't know anything about how your family works, but maybe try sitting her down and telling her what you're doing and why. She doesn't know anything about vision - she's just parroting what she heard from an eye doctor or from a friend, and she hasn't done any research on vision herself and would be forced to admit that. Does she wear glasses herself?

Because I think you'd be better off doing it now, before you get to college and have all the new stresses to deal with. Four years isn't very long to be wearing glasses, so you should be able to get your vision back to normal quicker than many people who've worn them their whole life.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
My mom would be very skeptical, she disaproves of alternative methods. However, if, no when I make significant progress with Bates method I will let her know, as she wears glasses too. I would like to start right now, but I would not be able to focus while I'm still living with my family. I cannot even do any homework at home because its just not the right enviroment for me.  Its hard to explain. My two sisters don't make it any easier. When I am on my own, I would feel better when I have my own space.
The reason I asked if she wore glasses is people who wear glasses for myopia are typically discouraging towards others who want to improve their vision by natural means. Vision is a sensitive topic, and people can get pretty emotional and aggressive when you suggest that glasses do more harm than good.

But I see what you mean. Maybe try some Bates techniques anyway in the meantime. I've heard of people doing so and soon feeling pressure or headaches from their current glasses and having to go to the optometrist to get weaker glasses because their vision had improved.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
In just one month of throwing away my glasses and contacts, my vision went from 20/90 - 20/40, in both eyes.  I used plenty of Bates methods, but I also threw in a few of my own.  I figured that a large factor in eyesight is in the muscles surrounding the eye, and just like other muscles, they need to be stretched and strengthened.  Using some static holds to the top, bottom, left, and right, I immediately noticed improvement in just a few days.  I then found out more about the Bates Method, and so I added them in.  At my best, my vision I brought down to 20/35 in both eyes, and I had many clear flashes each day, and I held each one for as long as I could.

Well, then I read some other accounts of people who were proving the method wrong, mainly skeptical eye doctors who were using their degree as a way to say, "I'm right, he is wrong, because I have a title!"  I didn't want to believe them, but just the idea that it could all be in my head caused me to slow on my workouts, and now, I've stopped for almost a year.  I am just getting back into them, because during this year, my vision slowly got worse from 20/35 - 20/50.  The Bates Method really works, and I was a fool to not continue it.  I could be at 20/20 by now had I kept it up!

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download