MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Peripheral awareness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peripheral awareness
One person here mentioned that she was advised by her behavioural optometrist to be 'constantly aware of the periphery'. I find this interesting because it's been said that myopes have poor peripheral vision. It stands to reason that improving this aspect of vision might also improve myopia. However, I'm having trouble squaring this idea with Bate's concept of centralisation. I thought that we needed to be aware of details? Or is it that we can be aware of the whole field of vision while at the same time getting the eyes to look at details (something I've not experimented with up til now)? I have practised being aware of peripheral vision in the past, and although it helped my vision when I was using it, the beneftis did not carry over much to when I wasn't (it was not for lack of trying, either; I used to do it alot). I'm just wondering - and I'm curious if anyone else has tried this - if combining peripheral vision with central vision is a possible and even desirable technique?

JW
You should see the center of your visual field the best ("see best where you are looking"), yet still be aware of peripheral objects, which will be less clear the farther they are from the center of your visual field. Bates says it might be easier to see the point NOT regarded (i.e. in the periphery) as less clear, rather than focusing on the point regarded as the most clear, which might induce straining. But even though the point in the periphery is not as clear, you can still see it -- there is no contradiction here.
I just joined this forum. My 8-yr old daughter is short-sighted and has been using glasses since a year, and the number has worsenend in one year. More than her vision, i'm concerned about the state of her eyes. They would water on and off, sinch she was 3, for no apparent reason. They donot water much now. But the insides of her lower eye-lids are often red. And the area below her eyes seems thinner than normal. She also cannot tolerate as much sunlight as ppl normally can. I've read a few articles on the Bates method, and also have Dr. Bates book. But dont feel sure about what is happening to her eyes. Took her to a conventional doctor, who said that her eye-sight will keep on weakening and that's normal. I doubt there would be a Bates doctor where I live (UAE). I donot find the Bates method articles to be fully explanatory; would prefer a physical demo of the method. I would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed. And also if you know of any helpful practitioner in UAE.
ummeshanze Wrote:I just joined this forum. My 8-yr old daughter is short-sighted and has been using glasses since a year, and the number has worsenend in one year. More than her vision, i'm concerned about the state of her eyes. They would water on and off, sinch she was 3, for no apparent reason. They donot water much now. But the insides of her lower eye-lids are often red. And the area below her eyes seems thinner than normal. She also cannot tolerate as much sunlight as ppl normally can. I've read a few articles on the Bates method, and also have Dr. Bates book. But dont feel sure about what is happening to her eyes. Took her to a conventional doctor, who said that her eye-sight will keep on weakening and that's normal. I doubt there would be a Bates doctor where I live (UAE). I donot find the Bates method articles to be fully explanatory; would prefer a physical demo of the method. I would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed. And also if you know of any helpful practitioner in UAE.

Hi Ummeshanze,

As you posted this as a reply to a previous thread a lot of people won't see your post so you're better off posting it as a new thread to generate more replies.

I am unaware of teachers in the UAE but the following Bates teachers offer phone consultations:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.effortlessvision.com/contactbio.htm">http://www.effortlessvision.com/contactbio.htm</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.naturalvisioncenter.com/index.html">http://www.naturalvisioncenter.com/index.html</a><!-- m -->

In the meantime you should try to get your daughter to only use the glasses only when absolutely necessary, ie. when reading the blackboard at school. They should not be worn when using a computer or reading, or watching TV. This should at least stop the vision from getting worse. The method Bates used for relaxing children's eyes was to read the Snellen chart each morning. Regarding how to best use the chart, the moderator of this site accepts email contact so you send him an email and ask how best to proceed with the chart or with any other question. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here so see if you can get in regular email contact with one of them.

The original Bates book is not the best one in my view to get started with. My favourite is Natural Vision Improvement by Janet Goodrich.

Hope that helps!

JW

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now