MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New to this--how far to reduce prescription to start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to this--how far to reduce prescription to start
Hi. I've just started reading on the Bates Method and have received "Relearning to See" and have been reading it. I'm ready to start the process of regaining my sight, but it's all quite overwhelming!

I've worn glasses since 3rd grade (am now 42) and have been in gas perm lenses since age 16 for astigmatism (I tried not to wear glasses if I could help it!). The last few days I've been gone without my contacts and glasses for most of the day. It has been quite an experience. It has actually been kind of enjoyable to take a walk and, while I couldn't see things clearly, I actually felt more a part of everything (if that makes sense.) Plus now, when I put my glasses back on, I get a headache!

But, since I'm quite myopic, it's really not possible to function without some correction. I can't even do bookwork or computer work without something. So I want to get reduced lenses and would like opinions on how far down to go. I requested my prescription from 2 places. Last Dec, I was having problems with my contacts and floaters, and my regular optician referred me to a O.D. This is what I received from him:

Right -7.25 Sph -.50cyl 17 A Left -6.75 Sph -1.00 Cyl 178 A (He also has a reading addition on both of +1.00, altho I'm certain my present glasses don't have this.)

I'm still waiting for my prescription from my original dr. I plan on ordering glasses online -- should I go down 2.00 on each eye (to -5.25 and -4.75) or is that too much? I'll just leave the astigmatism off.

I know, I know, I know that it's better to do this with just glasses, but I just don't know if I can. So I may try to get a reduced pair of soft contacts just for certain cases. How far should I try to go down on these?

Thank you for any help.
This is a very individualized situation, & no single rule works for everyone. Basically what you want is a pair of glasses that lets you see 20/40, so your best bet would be to ask an optician or optometrist for this. You can make a guess at this yourself with your snellen: see if you can see 20/20 now with your glasses. Or maybe you have an older weaker pair of glasses that could be a guide. You don't want glasses that are so weak you'll be straining & anxious, because of course you can't relax that way & this practice is all about relaxation. On the other hand, as you already seem to know, if the glasses are too strong your eyesight won't improve either & will probably get worse.
Thanks for your reply, Nancy. I have a feeling that my dr isn't going to be too receptive to prescribing reduced strength glasses or contacts. So I guess I feel that I'm on my own to figure out what to order online. I am going to him tomorrow so maybe he'll be better than I think. I dug out my old glasses and I could see as well as or better than with my current ones. Go figure! I have no idea what that prescription is, but I'd like to find out.

I definetely want to get started as soon as possible. I've gone without my glasses most of the weekend, but whenever I've put them on to do computer work or watch a movie, I get a headache pretty quick. And I feel like any good from going without them goes back a number of steps whenever I put them on.

Thanks, Debbie

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now