MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Introduction & Suggestions for a college student...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction & Suggestions for a college student...
Greetings everyone. I've been a long time lurker at these forums, having discovered the bates method about 4 years ago. Since then, I have almost eliminated the use of my glasses, however due to "personal problems" pertaining to anxiety and sleep disorders, I have found it difficult to maintain a consistent schedule of training. I suffer from amblyopia in the left eye, astigmatism in both eyes and volatile acuity. Last time I was tested by the eye doctor, I was told I had 20/50 vision using both eyes, but my left eye was considerably worse than the right. Currently, although I need to use my glasses occasionally (very rarely), I am surviving off of 20/50 vision.
I mentioned I had not been keeping up with my practices, but I have noticed a marked improvement in acuity and depth perception. Having suffered from insomnia when I originally attempted to implement Bates' method, I experienced noticeable gains to "quality" of vision, but these gains didn't stay for long and I had trouble keeping focus due to being chronically tired and overworked/anxious due to a heavy college load and work. I have since sought help for the anxiety and sleep problems, and my vision has improved noticeably without consistent practice of vision drills (palming, swings, etc).
I'll be transferring to a school in Boston in about a month. I am intent on focusing my efforts away from insomnia and anxiety, as those have been mostly taken care of, towards vision improvement. However, I'll be living in a city, with confined spaces, roommates and a hectic lifestyle. While I have gone literally over a year using glasses only once a month or so for a few minutes at a time, I truly want to implement the Bates method itself and cure my vision. My question is: Have any other students had to contend with practicing in smaller sized apartment rooms, having to practice in "secret" or around their roommate, and with a heavy load to stress inducing work? Or am I out of luck this late in the game (I'm 20 and don't expect to be stress free for the next couple of years).

My current plan of attack is:
-practice vision drills 30 mins a day, palming throughout the day when possible and always maintaining habits.
-Downgrade to a lower prescription, or even "self prescribe" reading glasses (for use only if I need to see something VERY small at work/for tests, not for reading texts in school)
-master mnemonic skills (good for visualization)
-I have the free books via Iblindness (thank you David), as well as Quackenbush's book, which I plan on reading much of in the next month.
-Seek out a bates instructor (price would be a problem here).
-create a public blog to serve as motivation.

So, for all those people out there who are seeking to improve their vision while dealing with a hectic life, what strategies have you implemented to help you in your journey toward perfect vision?
Hello! As a student, I understand well your situation! Courage! You may find as me that right when you wake up it's easier to palm because there is not much sound in the house and because you are not rushing in every directions with all kind of things in your head for nothing. Smile
Experiment a lot to find where you can be alone to palm or do your things and experiment it at different times of the day. I would also recommend you to stay away from every possible source of anxiety and stress. I know that it's much easier to say than to do but it will be easier on your nerves!

I'm now between 10/15 and 10/20 during the day and I have lots of clear flashes! I was at 10/40 when I started the bates method last year and I can really say that it worth it. You will see that headache caused by bad vision habits and a big school week will disappear and you will be able to go around much more comfortable.

Experiment and you will see what is the best for you because there is no standard recipe that works the same way for everybody.

Have a nice day!

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download