MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Is it dangerous to do exercises longer than usual?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it dangerous to do exercises longer than usual?
Hello everybody, I'm Ben Big Grin New to the forums is a 14 year old boy who reads this book about the Bates method called "Perfect Eyes." Great book, it put me off aspartame which apparently affects the eyes. Been reading book since about march. It started a journey of eye correction. I really enjoy the sunning/lighting game exercise. It gives me great clear flashes even though they don't last longer than 5 seconds. However, I am spose to do them for a minute max. Why is this limitation there? And is it dangerous to do the palming exercise for longer than 5 minutes?
Hi Ben,

Really nice to see someone your age interested in Bates. That's good for you as chances are it will mean you will be able to improve your sight much faster than those who take it up later in life and worn glasses for a long time.

You can sun all day with no problems (I assume you're closing your eyes when doing this), the only problem would be sun burn.

No one can tell you how much to palm, as they cannot tell you how much to do sun treatment. 5 minutes palming doesn't do much for me. 30 minutes does. For some people, 30 mins is too much. Others need to palm for hours for it to be of help, but when it does they can have big improvements. It is completely individual to the person. If I were you I'd try experimenting with different times.

Cheers, JW
Hey thanks for the quick reply Smile I generally try to only use glasses in school when I can't read the whiteboard cause I'm not to keen destroying my vision.

Course I close my eyes Tongue . Just asking around for a recommended time.

Hmm you opened a new possibility to me. When you palm for some odd 30 minutes, wouldn't it require extreme concentration? Do you listen to any music or just think and relax? When your done, what are the flashes like? Do they last long or are they short? And how long would you flash last?
arandomkiwi Wrote:Hey thanks for the quick reply Smile I generally try to only use glasses in school when I can't read the whiteboard cause I'm not to keen destroying my vision.

Course I close my eyes Tongue . Just asking around for a recommended time.

Hmm you opened a new possibility to me. When you palm for some odd 30 minutes, wouldn't it require extreme concentration? Do you listen to any music or just think and relax? When your done, what are the flashes like? Do they last long or are they short? And how long would you flash last?

When I palm I don't really concentrate on anything, just let thoughts come and go. I've tried thinking pleasant thoughts as Bates suggests but I have not been very successful at that so far. I think it's probably best not to concentrate on anything so much as to remember something - they're a bit different, but I am probably not very good at explaining that difference and maybe others here could try. Palming works even if you don't think of anything, though. The main point is to see black. If you see black (even if it's not complete black), that's fine.

I do not listen to music though many people do. I think it is an excellent idea, so long as its relaxing. It would make the palming easier. The main problem I've found with palming is just being able to cover my eyes for long periods and not getting sore arms, so I had design a special cushion for myself to place on a table to palm with. It was all a bit of a hassle, but in the end it was worth it.

I don't often get flashes, just notice a small increase in visual acuity each day so long as I'm relgious about the palming. That's why checking your snellen is very important. Otherwise its easy to dismiss gradual improvements. I find generally improvement if it's real to be gradual. Flashes I find a distraction from the main goal however they can be good as an indicator if you're doing something right.

Cheers, JW
Hey, this morning I tried palming with some music for 20 minutes. Didn't notice much difference to 5 minutes except sightly higher sensitivity to light. I have another question: all over the forums I see people mentioning 20/20 vision and 20/80 etc. What does this mean, whats the average one and how do I determine my vision level thingy?

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download