MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The class/lecture environment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The class/lecture environment
Do you think a lot of students or school pupils strain more in class? I've never been too comfortable with the class environment. I don't know if that's just me - I've always thought it was. Today, while in lecture, I decided to stop trying to pay attention and just let my mind drift wherever it wanted to go. To my suprise, even though I wasn't directly paying much attention to what the lecturer was saying, I could remember much more of what was said during the class and it seemed, I was more attuned to what was being said. It would probably have seemed to the lecturer like I was just showing up and not giving much attention though.

While I did this my eyesite also improved.

For any of you who have experienced the class/lecture environment, did you ever feel uncomfortable or can you relate to what I say at all?

Thanks,
Footballman.
At least one vision teacher has told me there are no bad visual situations, just bad visual habits. The computer is only "bad for you" if you never look out the window, just stare at the screen with hunched-over shoulders. Similarly a lecture environment is "bad" if you stare & strain. When I was in college I was wearing -10 hard contact lenses but was probably still straining to see every detail. Now I'd use my glasses only when I couldn't see something I thought was important, then take them off. Plus I'd sit as close as I needed to. Your experience of remembering more when you weren't trying to pay attention is telling. I wouldn't worry about what the lecturer thinks, especially if you're absorbing the material & getting good grades!
Yep, the less you try to fix your attention, you more you notice. In a certain way. Look at babies. They often seem like they're not paying enough attention to learn anything, but they're absorbing much more than adults. The lecture environment is such a SLOW way of learning that it can be hard to pay exclusive attention to it.

I had a professor in college that taught the Divine Comedy (Dante). He was this old Italian guy who knew every detail of Italian history and culture of the period, so it was a lesson in history, culture, literature and religion all at once and kept my attention. In high school I had an English teacher who threw more stuff at us in a few months (Old English, phonetics, foreign languages, grammar) than I had learned in years, and a good portion of it stuck.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
Interesting theory. I have been an A student most of life and I don't regard myself as someone who could concentrate on one task for a very long time, needless to say, I almost always relied on what I remembered from the lecture rather than any notes or textbooks.
HI, I will mention here a perfect book I have in my hands currenlty, it is Jacob Liberman's "take off your glasses and see". I was overwehlmend when i initially red it and had a few a-ha moments, "so, that's it" and I warmly recommend it. The thing that is related to this post or is carrying the answer or cnfirmation of what you have already experienced, it is the two ways how we think. One is the detailed thinking, linear, like when counting, where you focus on one thing, concentrate, and this is what is qualified in current society as smart. the other is spatial thinking, or intuition, where there is no preference to any of the details but only awareness of every detail in front of you or around you, or as they say really to be seeing around the corner. Liberman calls this open focus. (there is also reference to the other, brain, researcher les fehmi that invented the term open focus,etc. it is very interesting ). But going back to liberman and vision the open focus is when you look at the point but you are also aware of every other detail in front of you. or you can be scanning around without any emphasis to any detail, you are just aware of everything around you. what is important here is to BREATHE AND BLINK all the time!!! this is then effortless vison, and that there becomes effortless living and also effortless learning, that are our goal.
And also our thinking should be easy interchange of the two ways of thinking, while currently we do not respect that open focus thinking, we think more effort, more concentration, more focus is better.

I noticed in my life that this is not working. I started not being able to understand what I am reading, I would go over the sentences a few times until I got it, but it was vaste of time and energy.
I also think I have experienced this open focus effortless vision, in this last year since I am in vision training. in a book there is a simple vision walk explained, I might put this in my daily routine.
I think that is the same as Dr Bates is teaching, effortless.
And this is what adds more value to our lives, to answer to all those that say we have big successes in our lives. we do, but at what cost. I know in my case it was very stressfull. the school environment was very stressfull for me, too. Even on school holidays I would feel anxious when just passing by the school. And I know I knew the knowledge around that time of exams. Details. I know I was struggling to connect the knowledge of several years, although related.
By reducing stress our brains should start working better.
Good luck everyone. Cheers!

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download