MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How to reduce perscription without seeing your optician?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to reduce perscription without seeing your optician?
Hi,
I have encountered the Bates method recently and I must say it is fascinating. I have the book "Relearning to See" as I told it was one of the most comprehensive books on the subject. Anyway, I want to suceed but I will still need to wear glasses form time to time, while driving and maybe while at work. People say just don't wear glasses but this is impractical and giving up my contact lenses will be hard enough not to mention it being illegal to drive correct vision! OK so I want to get some reduce pescription glasses and I was thinking to get 3 or so pairs online in different RXs. For instance I would have stronger pair of glasses and when my vision improves I could use the weaker glasses and then when my vision improves again I could use the weakest.

The thing is I don't really feel like discussing this with my optician. I know they could be supportive but there is a good chance they couldn't and then I've wasted my time, money and soured my relationship with them.

Looking at my perscription now it is:

RightSph: -1.00, Cyl: -0.50, Axis: 105LeftSph: -0.75, Cyl: -0.50, Axis: 80

So could I just get a pair of glasses with half those values and then another pair with half again? I am sure some of you have had experiences reducing pescriptions so maybe you know how it works so I don't waste money buying harmful pescriptions or whatever.
Thank you,
Joe
Your vision is not particularly bad. If it weren't for your astigmatism your vision would probably be somewhere around 20/50, no?

Also, it is worth mentioning that often a person doesn't need their glasses as much as they think they do. I recall when I got my first pair of glasses at age 11 I started to get headaches and stopped wearing them until I got contacts when I was 14. My vision was bad enough that I wasn't able to read the board at school, but other than that I was able to function just fine - I don't even remember that I saw blurry. I only got contacts because I thought they were cool. Of course it was nice to see clearly when I got them, but the point is that your mind adapts - in both directions.

Since your vision is not bad, it doesn't seem practical to me to order multiple reduced prescriptions. At most you could order a pair without astigmatism, perhaps with -0.75 SPH for both eyes and 0.00 for the CYL and AXIS. -0.25 SPH doesn't even make sense to me.

You could possibly order online. The only place I know about is <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.spex4less.co.uk">http://www.spex4less.co.uk</a><!-- m -->.
Hello,

I don't think that you need reduced prescriptions. Your glasses are not very strong.
I recommend you not using the glasses at all, they delay the improvement process. Besides, don't waste your money. Improvement comes in days or weeks and you probably will be annoyed by your reduced glasses. Improvements are not very linear at all.

Elias
Thanks for the replies. I probably could get away without the astigmatism tbh as my contacts had no astigmatism. I don't wear contacts any more though.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download