MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Social complications to natural eyesight improvement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social complications to natural eyesight improvement
Hi,
Sorry for posting two threads on the same day but this is a different topic and I think it deserves it's own thread. Anyway, I am eager to improve my eyesight naturally but I am somewhat worried about the social complications. As you all now, shifting, restlessness and darting eyes are frowned upon. When I talk to people you like to look them in the eye because it shows 1) confidence 2) sincerity, and the opposite of not being able to maintian eye contact is seen as "shifty", untrustworthy and insecure/inconfident. Surely you have had a conversation with someone at some time and they can't look you in the ey and they are twitching and you began to doubt their honesty.

On the other hand being very inanimate can be seen as unnatural and perhaps acting in a natural relaxed state won't be frowned upon. I often maintain eye contact  with people but I have freaked people out at times with the stillness of my gaze.

What do you all think to this? I would like to hear some opinions. Socially have you become more rejected/accepted based on your new mannerisms?

Cheers,
Joe
Since I've been dong this I just try to look from one eye to the next. So far, not too many people ever notice what I'm doing since they are moving slightly too.

Bob
When you are relearning good vision habits your movements will probably be large because that's the best you can do (less detail requires larger movements). As your vision gets better your movements will become smaller. But for the most part, enjoy overly moving, it feels good! It certainly is better than staring.

As far as what people will think, don't worry about it. As you're able to make smaller movements you can, for instance, shift your focal point from the centre to the sides of a person's eyes - but then again, you will most likely do something like this automatically as your vision gets better.
bjsilva pretty much summed it up. Keeping eye contact can feel like such an obligation, but it has to do with the bigger issue of being honest with our own body language. Emotions do need some sort of ventage, in body language or spoken words, or else they'll contribute to tension, or a "holding in" or "holding onto", in your eyes and body. So if you don't feel like looking at someone in the eyes, then don't. You may end up looking tired or disinterested or whatever as a result, but that may very well be the truth! Granted, sometimes it can be in your best interest to keep relativel y continuous eye contact, but undo the habit of feeling the obligation to do so.

But on the flipside, there's a reason that eye contact is a universal behavior in communication. Eyes communicate so much, and there's an energetic connection. It's natural to look someone in the eyes when communicating, besides it's your point of interest. For instance, it's unnatural to be talking to someone about something that is not in front of you - you should turn and look at them. Unless they're next to you, and your neck would be more comfortable not bending to the side, which also has to do with being honest about your own comfort.

Also, people find you much more interesting and real when you act more honestly about such subtle things.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now