MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Vision Improvement through diet... raw food?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vision Improvement through diet... raw food?
There is a concept in dieting named "raw food" (most are "raw vegans"). Basically the concept is that we should eat raw food because raw is the natural state.

There are a number of claims:

1. Raw food has active enzymes and they help us digest food (cooked food destroys them)

2. Raw food has more nutrients

3. Raw food has "life force"

4. Raw food is easier to digest

5. Cooked food has toxins

I've become rather skeptical of these claims, and have found out that:

1. These enzymes are active in raw food but they are plant's enzymes and do not help us, they get inactivated anyway in the stomach because of PH.

2. I used http://www.nutritiondata.com to compare raw and cooked foods, you can do the same. I didn't see any major differences, except in Vitamin C. But in a raw vegan diet (especially raw frutiarian diet) you get excessive ammounts of vitamin C, tens of times more than you need.

3. Questionable

You can give your own opinion about the last two, but I am skeptical about those too.

Now raw fooders make a lot claims regarding the health benefits of the diet, including: more energy, cure of diseases, better sleep, more bowel movements AND improved vision for those like us. What do you think?
Hello,
I may be the only person on this forum that is a raw foodist, about 90-95%. I've been raw for five weeks and know people that have been raw for years.
To address what you have found out: I've never heard of 1.
Mihai_alexandru Wrote:1. These enzymes are active in raw food but they are plant's enzymes and do not help us, they get inactivated anyway in the stomach because of PH.
Where did you get this information?

Mihai_alexandru Wrote:2. I used <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nutritiondata.com">http://www.nutritiondata.com</a><!-- m --> to compare raw and cooked foods, you can do the same. I didn't see any major differences, except in Vitamin C. But in a raw vegan diet (especially raw frutiarian diet) you get excessive ammounts of vitamin C, tens of times more than you need.

I've heard that scientists can't study the chemical make up of food unless they cook it. If this is true, we have to take nutritional information about uncooked foods with a grain of salt. Why do we worry about getting too much vitamins. That seems kind of funny to me. Doctor Linus Pauling believed in megadosages.

At some point, you have to do your own experimenting otherwise it's just here-say and conjecture. If you yourself are curious, try working more raw fruits and veggies into your diet. There are lots of great recipes online. If you want to try it, try it. Don't be afraid. Many people swear by it. The only danger of raw veganism I've heard of is for children. They need calcium in high dosages that are most easily found in diary. I probably wouldn't want to feed my child un-pasteurized dairy although some adults enjoy it as a raw option.

I believe that food should be a healing medicine not just fuel to get you through the day. My friend has cured his diabetes and is off diabetes medicine, as many people have done. I didn't have any disease but I have a lot more energy feel more alive. I wouldn't say that my eyesight has gotten any better due to raw food although I've heard others claim as much.

At some point, you have to do your own experimenting otherwise it's just here-say and conjecture. If you yourself are curious, try working more raw fruits and veggies into your diet. There are lots of great recipes online. If you want to try it, try it. Don't be afraid. Many people swear by it.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1575">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1575</a><!-- l -->
OK I tried it for a few weeks too and I got better sleep (I still have this sleep problem of going to sleep and waking up tired). I slept about 2 hours less every night and even without sleeping at all I felt better.

I was starving to death though cause I wasn't eating enough but I still I had the sleep benefit ^.

Now I do not know, I tried lacto-ovo vegetarianism recently and failed at that too and was easting basically a lot of stuff except the meat and still succumbed to chronic hunger! So I do not know if an even more restrictive diet would help but the sleep benefit really did get me intrigued.

I think it's pretty clear that enzymes don't help, even a raw fooder explained why: http://www.ecologos.org/lenzyme.htm

What I don't understand though is that if veganism and especially raw veganism is healthier why don't we see raw vegan/vegan centenarians? Surely moving from a toxic diet of cooked food and unhealthy animal protein to a 100% raw diet should support at least +20 years of life!

Edit: And also if basically on a cooked omnivore diet the body isn't working at its full potential, then if a runner can run 100m in 10 seconds, on a raw diet he would run in 7-8 seconds cause he has more energy???

There are very few raw food athletes and I'm sure if it really gets you energetic every athlete would use it, regardless if he doesn't like green smoothies, because he would get better results!

Edit2: Anyway, my example with speed running may not be good ^ but surely if you have more energy you should do better at resistance running!

Edit3:...
Mihai_alexandru Wrote:2. I used <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nutritiondata.com">http://www.nutritiondata.com</a><!-- m --> to compare raw and cooked foods, you can do the same. I didn't see any major differences, except in Vitamin C. But in a raw vegan diet (especially raw frutiarian diet) you get excessive ammounts of vitamin C, tens of times more than you need.

"I've heard that scientists can't study the chemical make up of food unless they cook it. If this is true, we have to take nutritional information about uncooked foods with a grain of salt. Why do we worry about getting too much vitamins. That seems kind of funny to me. Doctor Linus Pauling believed in megadosages."

I do not know if that's true because vitamin C is visibly higher in raw food analysis than cooked food analysis. Why can't they study it? This leaves room for all sorts of myths that raw fooders push, that cooked food has 82% less vitamins. If that we're true we'd only need to eat 18% of our current diet, in raw food and be as healthy as before. This actyally leads to starvation.

Also I've heard that cooked food makes minerals unusable, so it means that the human race survives off of minerals from the few fruit that it eats?

Another ridiculous thing I've heard from Alissa Cohen is that cooked meat has toxic proteins and from 30 g of protein bodybuilders only get to use 1g, so it's better to eat the fruits that have 1 g of protein.

Edit 4 Big Grin: Now while the whole concept of eating raw fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds sounds like a good idea for me, I would like some proof that it works. Can you point what you think are the health benefits of the raw diet and why cooked food is unhealthy (especially animal products?)
As far as old vegans, remember that things were different a hundred years ago. There wasn't such a variety and abundance of cheap food like we get now with the harvesting technology and global food trade. And Americans didn't really do raw veganism or anything. Plus, there's a lot more to being healthy than food.

I took a multivitamin gelcap this morning with a fruit/nut bar, spent an hour or two shoveling wood chips, and didn't eat anything until like 3pm, at which point I had a few small veggies and chips. I wasn't even very hungry, and I'm still not that hungry now as I have something in the oven. I think I was deficient in something in the vitamin. I wouldn't normally be able to do that. It's nice to get all vitamins through the right food, but it takes a lot of work to do that.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
What satisfies my doubts likely will not satisfy yours. My reservations have been handled. I'm not interested in defending raw veganism. It's not for everybody. In my experience the best way to approach these things is with an open mind and your personal common sense. More and more I am living my life by following my gut.
This means spending less time "up in my head" trying to figure things out, rationalizing , not feeling. I practice relaxation. I make room for joy.

I sleep like a baby. ;D
otto Wrote:It's not for everybody.

Well I only got intrigued because most raw fooders say it's the natural diet. I think you feel best and are healthiest on the natural diet...
I took some time to research my curiosity on raw food and made this thread over at veggie boards: http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/showt...ost2581914

I got surprised by the results. But I'm disappointed that green veggies and veggies in general are so low on calories (lower than fruit). And still the total calories may be too low, you'd have to overeat fruit/ nuts & seeds to get more and according to the experts some may people may even need 3.000 calories plus (like me), not to mention all the athletes that train every day for hours! Now that I think about it better I'm kind of disappointed in it.
Mihai_alexandru Wrote:
otto Wrote:It's not for everybody.

Well I only got intrigued because most raw fooders say it's the natural diet. I think you feel best and are healthiest on the natural diet...

I guess it depends on how you define "natural". Humans have teeth, jaws and a digestive system well adapted to eating cooked food and not so well adapted to eating 100% raw food, especially high cellulose vegetables. We have evolved using fire to prepare food for hundreds of thousands of years. Hunter gather societies that have been recently discovered in remote parts of the world all use fire to prepare food.

Primates that eat a lot of raw plants like gorillas and chimps have larger teeth and digestive system modifications to deal with breaking down food to extract nutrients from raw food. Humans use cooking for the same purpose, and our teeth are quite different.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://symposium.cshlp.org/content/early/2009/10/19/sqb.2009.74.019.abstract">http://symposium.cshlp.org/content/earl ... 9.abstract</a><!-- m -->
Came across this. This man has been mostly raw since he was in his teens. Now he is 108. Tell me how old he looks.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7knA3-YUs&feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7knA3- ... re=related</a><!-- m -->

Excuse the cheesy intro.
Sounds like it's really important to eat small portions—never eating until full. Apparently research shows that a reduced calorie diet causes a low level of stress for the body that makes its immunity stronger.
otto Wrote:Sounds like it's really important to eat small portions—never eating until full. Apparently research shows that a reduced calorie diet causes a low level of stress for the body that makes its immunity stronger.

That + some anti-aging genes may be responsible for his age. He said he eats fish though so he's not even vegetarian.

I read a book on the most long lived people by Muriel Levet and very common among all of them was calorie restriction! Most of them ate below 2.000 calories a day.

Anyway, in my current understanding and opinion, I think the best diet is a diet with a lot of grains, legumes, seeds, nuts, vegetables, fruits, eggs & fish, without dairy and other types of meat. I do not know if it counts to be raw or cooked!
100% raw to 80% raw, the body gets about the same health benefits. It's not black and white, this stuff. It's what you eat the most of that determines your health unless you are eating small quantities of really toxic foods.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now