MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
clarknight's looking over shoulders redux

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clarknight's looking over shoulders redux
Recently, while practicing a method called 'looking over shoulders' (posted by Clarknight last August) I noticed that I can induce clearer vision flashing if I hold my head turned slightly to the left, looking back to the center at a Snellen chart or whatever. My left eye is more nearsighted than my right. I remember in Boot Camp our company commander telling me my head wasn't on straight and trying to position it with his hands. I had no idea what the problem was or how to fix it. It still feels weird when I realign my head this way, but I can't argue with the results. I think when I was a kid I developed the habit, either causing or caused by the difference in myopia between left and right. I was probably turning my head slightly to the right, favoring the weaker left eye. Turning to the left improves the visual alignment, and while practicing natural visual improvement methods, induces more controlled clearer vision. THANKS AGAIN, CLARKNIGHT!!! Also - slight head wobbling helps counter the astigmatism. (I may have posted something like this before, but this is another take on it.)
Interesting.
Tom Quackenbush taught me to place the head/face in the same direction the eyes are directed toward.
Sounds like you might have a bit astigmatism and/or tiny wandering eye and placing the head/face in different position is helping you see clear without moving the wandering eye correct with other eye? and/or seeing certain angels of objects clear when the head/eyes are at a certain angle which will block out the astigmatism. Example: horizontal areas of visual field (horizontal ines...) unclear but become clear when tilt/move the head and eyes with head to specific angle. When the eyes/head tilt, the eyes see the horizontal areas clear. Area of the cornea/eye causing astigmatism in visual field does not show the astigmatism when tilt the head/eyes and look at the object from a different angle/part of the cornea.

I get astigmatism sometimes from long day on computer or stress!!. When I lay down at night, on my side, the small tv screen is perfect clear from distance. Eye muscles on top, sides, bottom and inner eyes relax, eye perfect shape, perfect focus light rays. Eye muscles like to have a break from constant pull of gravity in one direction-downward.
Gravity affects eyes, eye muscles. Astronauts in space experinence exceptionally clear vision. Modern Bates teachers teach antigravity exercises: trampoline, inversion table.
Yes, difference in left and right eyes definitely can cause your condition.
Try the shoulder movement with deep relaxation, no effort to see clear when eyes, head facing the same way. Just quick easy Shift on the object, then move to new position. Practice switching, shifting... with the less clear vision eye and the other eye and both eyes together.
When doing the shoulder thing: if spend some time on a object: turn the whole body: eyes, head, body together and face the object so no muscle tension in any area body, neck, head, eyes.
See new 'Better Eyesight MAgazines with 500 pictures' Video on Youtube. Audio is not good yet, but fixing it and will be giving many free Bates lessons for each of the pictures in the Magazines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPiPg4FQjws
clarkknighjt - Great post. You are correct - my left eye has a bit of the 'wander' to it ('phoria' is the scienterrific term I believe). Interesting also about astronauts' vision. Your approach seems similar to mine – I’m trying to do this as scientifically as I can, without being rigid and without becoming 'magical'. I wish Quackenbush had a different name, but I will check his stuff out anyways. I see that you are about 1.5 years younger than me. Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.
Here are some additional thoughts:

1. If nearsightedness is primarily a result of misalignment of the visual 'system' and its components, shouldn't we be able to determine how to realign those components, similar in some ways to how misaligned teeth can be realigned? Perhaps more difficult given the many components and their delicateness, but should still be doable if the misalignment could be quantified (starting with the optician's measurements and prescription) and some device akin to 'braces' devised to counteract the degree and orientation of misalignment. Combining such a device with the Bates Methods before, during, and after the realignment process would provide a still-flexible yet more structured and concrete approach, with trackable, progressive improvement over the course of use/instruction. I would predict the realignment duration then would be similar to that of realigning teeth – not more than 1 to 2 years if used diligently. But it would be a reliable, verifiable, reproducible, more quantified method. Nothing magical or phony about it. It would (or should) work independently of any ‘feel good’ self-affirmations, etcetera – just as braces work on teeth, no matter what the mental state is of the person getting braces.

2. I am having success with a simple biofeedback training device designed to help the user learn to reorient their visual positioning. I stumbled upon the idea last summer, after connecting an observation my father-in-law induced regarding reflective glare: I cut angled notches into a 16oz styrofoam cup, so as to hold an unlabeled mirrored-surface CD. I added water for ballast to prevent tipping, and placed the device on the desk at approximately arm's length distance. I positioned it offset between myself and a Snellen chart and other material with small print (e.g., a Hammond World Map), posted on the opposite wall. I then tilted the device until it reflected the overhead lighting at my eyes (the lights are visibly reflected on the CD). I then selected the best notches and adjusted/rotated/tilted the device for the best positioning, and stabilized it as necessary (i.e., with a wedged-under post-it pad). Within this set-up, I have been practicing Bates Methods (palming, head swinging/shifting, etc.) and making slight adjustments to my own body, head, face and eye positions, with some head rotation/wobble to account for astigmatism, and have been gradually but quickly improving the clarity of the Snellen chart and the World Map. Additional device(s) at left and right enhance the effect. I frequently (every two hours or so) leave the desk and go outside, and the improvement is retained and reproducible.

3. An additional method of training with the devices is to stand, arm(s) outstretched, holding the device(s) and adjusting their position/angle so as to reflect the ambient light source as above. Then by slow swinging and other Bates Method motions I can induce clearer vision. (Makes me think of the DaVinci drawing of the man outstretched within a circle. Also cf: Margaret Darst Corbett’s ‘Elephant Swing’ exercise.)

4. The training device(s), similar to orthodontic braces, apparently provide direct and indirect controllable glare which ‘pushes’ on my visual system components reducing the myopia, and also helps me learn to realign and improve my own positioning within ambient lighting, and thus improves my nearsightedness. I hope it’s not just some temporary effect. But even if temporary it seems to have greatly increased my ability to induce clear vision flashes, and to greatly prolong them as well.
i cannot answer this post, my right arm is going numb from the bad chhiropractor. neck adjustment. Got to find a honest one to fix this. Clark.
Yeah, Tom Q has a original name! A lady I knew in San Francisco said its a very respectable... name. She's in all that high society life and knows that stuff.

Some docs have used ortho - something, braces on the cornea to force the eye ro normal shape. lot eye injuries from this. Not natural and not safe. It would be great if there was some device to relax the eye muscles and get them to work correct. BATES METHOD DOES THIS SO I THINK THATS SAFEST WAY.

Biofeedback does work, its a good idea. i also like self hypnosis.
Can you draw a pic of your invention and post it?

Clark
clarknight - you asked for some photos of my biofeedback US Vsual Training Device(s). these links are good for four (4) days:

You have been issued the following ticket: 'Ticket for /cookj/USVisualTrainingBiofeedbackDev7.jpg 2010-1-28' on /cookj/USVisualTrainingBiofeedbackDev7.jpg
Use the following link to access the resource using this ticket:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://gushare.georgetown.edu/xythoswf">https://gushare.georgetown.edu/xythoswf</a><!-- m --> ... t_5BrrM1SH Email Link

You have been issued the following ticket: 'Ticket for /cookj/USVisualTrainingBiofeedbackDev8.jpg 2010-1-28' on /cookj/USVisualTrainingBiofeedbackDev8.jpg
Use the following link to access the resource using this ticket:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://gushare.georgetown.edu/xythoswf">https://gushare.georgetown.edu/xythoswf</a><!-- m --> ... t_jeKo1ZBu Email Link

clarknight Wrote:Yeah, Tom Q has a original name! A lady I knew in San Francisco said its a very respectable... name. She's in all that high society life and knows that stuff.

Some docs have used ortho - something, braces on the cornea to force the eye ro normal shape. lot eye injuries from this. Not natural and not safe. It would be great if there was some device to relax the eye muscles and get them to work correct. BATES METHOD DOES THIS SO I THINK THATS SAFEST WAY.

Biofeedback does work, its a good idea. i also like self hypnosis.
Can you draw a pic of your invention and post it?

Clark
Links not work.
Yeah, I am sorry about that - 8 hours after posting them I woke from a very weird dream and decided I should delete the posted photos because the links contained an indication of my employer. I need to ask David how best to post two .jpg files on this forun (the last time I tried it, it said they were about 90% too big).
clarknight Wrote:Links not work.
Here is a link to three photos of the setup I am using:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/JMCCAC/USVi">http://picasaweb.google.com/JMCCAC/USVi</a><!-- m --> ... kDevice02#

Once the cup(s)' position is good, I find simple Bates techniques like shifting/head wobble/etc. induce 'central fixation' and clearer sight of the Snellen/Map printing.

SummonPrettyPeace is going to try it.

clarknight - The picasa link in my signature below works now.
I found an improvement to the 'looking over shoulders' method: I look across the bridge of my nose, first one eye and then the other, and then use/follow the line of the nose to point into the distance and align my eyes/head/neck/shoulders/torso/hips/etc. for improved vision. Head wobble adjusts for astigmatism.

JMartinC4 Wrote:Here is a link to three photos of the setup I am using:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://picasaweb.google.com/JMCCAC/USVi">http://picasaweb.google.com/JMCCAC/USVi</a><!-- m --> ... kDevice02#

Once the cup(s)' position is good, I find simple Bates techniques like shifting/head wobble/etc. induce 'central fixation' and clearer sight of the Snellen/Map printing.

SummonPrettyPeace is going to try it.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now