MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Starting the Bates Method

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting the Bates Method
Hi All. I experience strong myopia which I am trying to get rid of. I also have strabismus and amblyopia in my right eye for which I will be seeing a visual therapist shortly. In addition to therapy I have decided to try out the Bates method as an experiment.

My last prescription was -9.75,-7.00. I wore this prescription for two years. I could see well but experienced eye strain.

I am now on -8.50, -6.00. I can see pretty well in these and am not experiencing as much eye strain. My goal is to balance my prescription and lower the overall level of myopia in both eyes.

I am obviously very skeptical of Bates and his methods considering the stance of the American Optometric Association on the issue. However I am very open-minded and willing to try new things as long as they make sense.

In the last 2 weeks I have been working movement, centralization, and relaxation into my daily visual habits. I am shifting my focus from near work tasks for 3 seconds every 3 minutes. I take a longer break and look further away every 45 minutes. I am working on my breathing and blinking as well.

Subjectively I feel like my overall vision is improving because of these methods, but my nearsightedness (visual acuity) is about the same.

. I will try to post progress reports from time to time as I continue the Bates Method and begin visual therapy/visual training with an O.D.. I would love to hear from anyone who has personally benefited from the Bates Method.
cautiouslyoptimistic Wrote:Hi All. I experience strong myopia which I am trying to get rid of. I also have strabismus and amblyopia in my right eye for which I will be seeing a visual therapist shortly. In addition to therapy I have decided to try out the Bates method as an experiment.

My last prescription was -9.75,-7.00. I wore this prescription for two years. I could see well but experienced eye strain.

I am now on -8.50, -6.00. I can see pretty well in these and am not experiencing as much eye strain. My goal is to balance my prescription and lower the overall level of myopia in both eyes.

I am obviously very skeptical of Bates and his methods considering the stance of the American Optometric Association on the issue. However I am very open-minded and willing to try new things as long as they make sense.

In the last 2 weeks I have been working movement, centralization, and relaxation into my daily visual habits. I am shifting my focus from near work tasks for 3 seconds every 3 minutes. I take a longer break and look further away every 45 minutes. I am working on my breathing and blinking as well.

Subjectively I feel like my overall vision is improving because of these methods, but my nearsightedness (visual acuity) is about the same.

. I will try to post progress reports from time to time as I continue the Bates Method and begin visual therapy/visual training with an O.D.. I would love to hear from anyone who has personally benefited from the Bates Method.

i'd love to see what your visual acuity is on a snellen as i have a similar prescription
Why to balance the prescription when you can balance your vision at 20/20? :Smile
Hi Determined, thank you for responding. With my left eye my best corrected visual accuity is 20/20 (even better sometimes) near and far.

With my right eye my best corrected accuity differs for near and far. For distance best corrected acuity is 20/70. For near best corrected acuity is 20/120+.

Thus my vision is currently quite one-sided Sad

How do your numbers compare?
cautiouslyoptimistic Wrote:Hi Determined, thank you for responding. With my left eye my best corrected visual accuity is 20/20 (even better sometimes) near and far.

With my right eye my best corrected accuity differs for near and far. For distance best corrected acuity is 20/70. For near best corrected acuity is 20/120+.

Thus my vision is currently quite one-sided Sad

How do your numbers compare?

actually i meant without glasses, what do you read on the snellen, sorry for the misunderstanding
Hi Dedicated. I am 20/400 with my left and 20/400 at 4 feet with my right Sad

I thought we would be the same since we have the same prescription?
cautiouslyoptimistic Wrote:Hi Dedicated. I am 20/400 with my left and 20/400 at 4 feet with my right Sad

I thought we would be the same since we have the same prescription?

wow, there is a huge difference.

at 5 feet, i can read the fourth line which is 20/240!

i guess people with different prescriptions don't get the same snellen reading..
Yes, don't go by eyeglass prescriptions. It's a convoluted way to measure vision recovery. It would be like a crack addict measuring his recovery from addiction by tracking how much or how little crack he needs to take to feel okay. The important thing is how he does without it. Also, eyeglass prescriptions are only taken in a moment in time and can vary just the same as acuity, so labeling your vision as a certain number that you can't measure yourself is psychologically defeating. Acuity you can measure yourself and see how much it can change over a moment's time or a day.

In acuity readings, remember that the numerator is the distance you're standing at, and the denominator is the line you read. So there is no such thing as 20/400 at 4 feet. It would be 4/400. ie: you can read at 4ft the line that someone with standard vision is supposed to be able to read from 400ft. For sharing with others it helps to follow the convention.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
I am at my 3 week of exercises,and nothing different so far... :-[
Should be the problem the exercises from the book that i bought,or my fault ?
To stimulate a clear flash of 20/20 vision, create a device similar to those shown in my picasa link below. 8)
DaniFixe Wrote:I am at my 3 week of exercises,and nothing different so far... :-[
Quote:I am at my 3 week of exercises,and nothing different so far... :-[

It is difficult to change the pattern learned from birth.
I noted the first permanent changes after half a year.
If it was easy all the people did not need glasses.
Waldi Wrote:
Quote:I am at my 3 week of exercises,and nothing different so far... :-[

It is difficult to change the pattern learned from birth.
I noted the first permanent changes after half a year.
If it was easy all the people did not need glasses.

True. Let's train and wait.
Interesting. At 5 feet I can barely read the 2nd line. I guess that puts me between 5/200 and 5/100.

Following the Bates method and my vision therapy for 2 weeks I have already noticed an overall improvement in my central and peripheral vision. The vision in my right eye (with my left eye covered) in particular has increased quite a bit. I can even read with it now, which is amazing.
Oh yeah and I have decided to try removing my glasses and relaxing for periods of time as part of my therapy.
What exercises do you made and what time each one ?

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now