MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
I just finished "Bates Method: Better Eyesight Without Glasses" and i'm trying to practice a few of the things i've learned. As an intro I think I have about 2/200 vision and i've been wearing glasses since the 2nd grade. I'm 27 now. I printed off an eye chart and i've been practicing swinging and central fixation as talked about in the book. I have a few questions, --and I apologize if they've been asked a lot before.

Dr. Bates said that if I wasn't able to completely abandon my glasses then I probably wouldn't be able to see any success unless I found an instructor. Is that true? is it possible to wear glasses part of the day every day and still train my eyes in new habits? It's very difficult for me to do much without my glasses.

How long should I be spending every day? In the book he said I should spend at least an hour. Does it matter that I break that up into 15 minute groups?

I know that the different exercises can be helpful for different people, but are there any favorites? Which ones have worked the best for people?

Thanks!
2/200, is this what your eye chart tells you? What is the strength of your most recent lens prescription?

I'm no authority here, but let me start by saying this: The main thing to understand is that you make the rules for what you can and can't do. Not me, not Bates, nobody can tell you what you will or won't be able to achieve. Make up your own mind what you are going to do, and then set about to do it.

That said, I have been able to make what I call significant progress while still wearing lenses part-time. Actually, I wear them now more than I should, and yet I continue to progress. I have gone from being able to read 20/20 with -5.75 lenses, to being able to read 20/20 with (less than) -4.00 lenses.

I began by switching from contacts to glasses and reducing my lens strength to -4.00, with which I had trouble reading the monitor at arms length when I first started. I am down to using -3.00 for computer use now, and I take the lenses off when I take breaks or when thinking, etc. I use -2.00 when reading books, etc.

Thats just how I decided to do it though. You will need to decide what is appropriate for yourself. If you do decide to wear lenses, I recommend wearing the weakest thing you can tolerate for the TASK AT HAND. What I mean by that is, a lens suitable for reading isn't necessarily suitable for driving, etc. There is no one "right" lens for all tasks.

As for how much time, give it as much as you are willing to give, and break it up how you see fit. I don't even practice most days now. I think once the vision habits are set in your mind, and you understand the point behind them, you will find ways to incorporate the habits into your daily routine and won't need to "exercise" much anyway. So give it enough time that you feel you are learning the HABITS (not just the exercises) ... the point BEHIND the exercises. And through this, you will understand what you've been doing wrong before which led to poor vision.

Hope this helped.
NyoGoat Wrote:I just finished "Bates Method: Better Eyesight Without Glasses" and i'm trying to practice a few of the things i've learned. As an intro I think I have about 2/200 vision and i've been wearing glasses since the 2nd grade. I'm 27 now. I printed off an eye chart and i've been practicing swinging and central fixation as talked about in the book. I have a few questions, --and I apologize if they've been asked a lot before.
Dr. Bates said that if I wasn't able to completely abandon my glasses then I probably wouldn't be able to see any success unless I found an instructor. Is that true? is it possible to wear glasses part of the day every day and still train my eyes in new habits? It's very difficult for me to do much without my glasses.
How long should I be spending every day? In the book he said I should spend at least an hour. Does it matter that I break that up into 15 minute groups?
I know that the different exercises can be helpful for different people, but are there any favorites? Which ones have worked the best for people? Thanks!
I don't ever remember seeing clearly, and was astonished and delighted at age 11 when I got the lenses and realized what normal eyesight was supposed to be like. I started reading without my 20/100 glasses at 19 only because my optometrist suggested I do so in order to preserve my excellent near vision. One day I was resting with my forehead on the crook of my left arm, eyes closed. When I looked up I had a flash of clear vision. I tried to duplicate the experience with little success. I did not learn about the Bates Methods until about 5 years later, accidentally finding Margaret Darst Corbett's book in a Navy technical library. Every day I would do the palming and swinging methods for a few minutes each, multiple times a day. I still had to wear my lenses much of the time, and didn't make much progress, but every once in a while I would experience a clear vision flash which to me was like a clue to a gigantic puzzle I wanted to solve. But I had many other responsibilities and interests. Thirty years later I've started to solve it. I think I am extremely close. At this point all the Bates Methods are working for me, improving my ability to find and hold onto clear 20/20 or better eyesight. But for me the Methods also need some supplementary help: 1) A daily multivitamin with maximum Beta Carotene; lately I have added a daily fish oil capsule. 2) I have on my desk a notched styrofoam cup which holds a shiny cd. And, 3) I have discovered, I believe, a root cause for my myopia - neonatal antibiotic eye treatments. I welcome you to try following my path by reviewing my posts in this community forum.
Smile 8) O0
liquidlight Wrote:1) A daily multivitamin with maximum Beta Carotene; lately I have added a daily fish oil capsule.

I have to agree with you about the multivitamins. I notice a tremendous difference in both general health and eyesight when I stop taking vs. start taking them again.

Also, I've been taking something called MSM off and on for a couple years. I'm convinced that my vision does better when I'm taking it and less when I quit. MSM is supposed to be good for joints, skin, and all sorts of other things. It is said to improve elasticity in soft tissues, and I wonder if this might be how it helps my eyes. By softening them or helping them to change shape better.
liquidlight Wrote:
JMartinC4 Wrote:1) A daily multivitamin with maximum Beta Carotene; lately I have added a daily fish oil capsule.
I have to agree with you about the multivitamins. I notice a tremendous difference in both general health and eyesight when I stop taking vs. start taking them again. Also, I've been taking something called MSM off and on for a couple years. I'm convinced that my vision does better when I'm taking it and less when I quit. MSM is supposed to be good for joints, skin, and all sorts of other things. It is said to improve elasticity in soft tissues, and I wonder if this might be how it helps my eyes. By softening them or helping them to change shape better.
I'm pretty conservative so I probably won't try anything else unless there was some overriding reason. I only added the fish oil on reccommendation of my brother in law. But research confirmed for me personally. Now, about the effect on vision of multivitamin with beta carotene, an odd observation is that if I forget to take one, the next day my vision seems better than usual. So I'm thinking there is some sort of ying-yang time-delay bounce-back effect. Hard to explain.
Thanks for all the responses!

I went on to read "take off your glasses and see" by Jacob Liberman. He talks about a mental block connection with glasses locking your eyes in place. I had been doing palming and swinging exercises and I started having a few clear flashes, but I didn't feel like I was making any progress. While I was reading his book, and interestingly before I got tot he mind blocking connection, I did eye yoga exercises, moving my eyes from side to side and up and down. The following day I had a huge resurgence of a lot of childhood and teenage year stressors that came to mind and got me pretty depressed. I realized where the feelings were coming from and then the day after that I read about the blocking connection. I felt like that was a huge turning point and I expected rapid progress, but I haven't seen any greater improvement. I haven't officially tested myself, but I used to have to stand within 2 feet to see the big E and now I can stand about 10 feet away and be able to make it out. I have had dreams where I could see clearly and I hoped those were meaningful also, but I still don't feel a huge effect on my eyes. I've started practicing "open vision" as best I can and i'm hoping that will help.

I understand that this is a process to make a change, has there been any sort of survey done as to how long people normally take? Looking through the stories on this forum it has seemed to me that a lot of people take years to see small changes
NyoGoat Wrote:I haven't officially tested myself, but I used to have to stand within 2 feet to see the big E and now I can stand about 10 feet away and be able to make it out. I have had dreams where I could see clearly and I hoped those were meaningful also, but I still don't feel a huge effect on my eyes.

hey! going from 2 feet to 10 feet to see the 200 line is actually a pretty big change, it's 5 times better eyesight! It might not help a lot for doing tasks, but if you walk outside without glasses, you'll notice a big difference from before (if you ever did that).

cheers,
Sorrisi
NyoGoat so what to do with that mental block ? What is the point? Should we forget that bad moments or remenber and try to convert to positive feelings?
Quote:NyoGoat so what to do with that mental block ? What is the point? Should we forget that bad moments or remenber and try to convert to positive feelings?

I'm still working on it Smile . I am trying free writing techniques to help me find all of my suppressed feelings allow myself to feel them so that I can release them. I was actually pretty excited when I found the connection, and I believe my bad eyesight is a direct symptom of me suppressing bad memories.

I'm afraid to get to personal on here, but i'm going to anyway. I realized that I have been putting up a wall during social interactions, and it wasn't allowing me to be true to myself, I was hiding behind the mask. When I didn't put up the wall I collapsed inside and I couldn't really interact socially. I was having a very hard time figuring out how to release the need for the wall and that's when I did the eye exercises and had that experience. I was astounded at the physical connection to my mental block. I'm still figuring out how to work with this, but I am hoping that continuing focusing on treating my eyes will help me in other areas also.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download