MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New to the Bates Method.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the Bates Method.
I don't know which exercises to do, i have just found out about this Bates Method and i don't know where to start, could someone please help me?
I can help if you'll tell me in detail about your eyes & you can start right away. First things first, get rid of those glasses/contacts if you haven't already.
I haven't worn my glasses in months, i think i have between 20/100 or 20/150 in both eyes.
UrbanMo Wrote:I haven't worn my glasses in months, i think i have between 20/100 or 20/150 in both eyes.

Do not be tempted to wear them again. Anyways, you should start with palming right away - it simply to cover your eyes with your hands. DO NOT touch the eyeballs though. Make sure all light is excluded.

[Image: Palming%20Pic.jpg]

It is expected you will not see complete/partial black but illusions of light - increasing blackness indicates increasing rest you achieve.
While you are palming, you will have to let your mind go wherever it takes you - trying to direct it to rest won't help. If you are successful, you'll notice the darkness you "see" becomes blacker as your mind rests. The duration you should palm can be from few minutes to half-an-hour. Palming is essential in the initial treatment phase. Once you've found better ways to rest (which you will in time), palming becomes most or completely obsolete.
Is there anymore exercises i could do? I don't think i will see improvement by just palming.
UrbanMo Wrote:Is there anymore exercises i could do? I don't think i will see improvement by just palming.

You will in time. Unless you are impatient with palming [like me], I would suggest using your memory & imagination to the fullest.
Here's how you start :
-> Get a snellen test card or print one right away - I use this eye chart <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/uploads/snelleneyechart.jpg">http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/up ... echart.jpg</a><!-- m -->
Make sure the print uses best quality ink for high contrast.
-> In a suitable well lit room, place the chart at a distance. I have framed my chart so I can place it almost anywhere.
-> Before you start, getting familiar with the card is essential - read it at the near-point where you can see letters perfectly clear.
-> Once you've read it with both your eyes, cover one eye with your hand & read with the other. Then do it with the second eye.
========================
Realizing Central Fixation
========================
Self-demonstration of Central Fixation is the base of improvement. You have to realize that you do not see best where you are looking i.e. you possess eccentric fixation. Eccentric Fixation is the cause of imperfect sight - it exists when strain exists.
To demonstrate it to yourself, place your snellen test card at a distance where you cannot distinguish all of the letters. Using the biggest letter for reference, look at a distance of few or more feet either to the left or right of the letter.
While doing this, you need to realize when you are not looking at the letter directly, you are actually seeing it a little blacker & distinct. Again when you directly look at the letter, it blurs. Alternatively, you can use an object at the near-point. Look at the letter on the chart then look at the near-point object. Note that when you look at the letter, the object becomes more distinct than the letter itself.
Once such Eccentric Fixation is demonstrated, you must learn to consciously avoid it. Avoiding Eccentric Fixation will help to accelerate re-gaining Central Fixation.
The easiest thing is if you make an effort to practice the wrong vison habits: stopping to blink breathe, move. looking at everything at once. Acknowledging that you are not interestet in what you see.

Since most of the time practicing good vision habits alone in itself is an effort... (We make an effort to practice correct vision habits) ... we might as well just reverse all exercises and practice wrong habits.

Your eyes will be hungry for the automatic correct habits.
Mzero Wrote:The easiest thing is if you make an effort to practice the wrong vison habits: stopping to blink breathe, move. looking at everything at once. Acknowledging that you are not interestet in what you see.
Since most of the time practicing good vision habits alone in itself is an effort... (We make an effort to practice correct vision habits) ... we might as well just reverse all exercises and practice wrong habits.

Actually he is already unconsciously practicing the wrong habits, let me refine what you want to say :
He needs to realize that he is straining his eyes by CONSCIOUSLY staring at a point, seeing/imagining any object completely stationary, trying to see multiple objects or large areas at once.
As soon as he realizes that such practices induce pain at some point & consequently worsen his vision, he will UNCONSCIOUSLY start to avoid such habits. Its best to try staring at a point & soon enough notice pain with blurring of vision.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now