MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Terminology - Nearpoint Fixation Disorder

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terminology - Nearpoint Fixation Disorder
Many years ago I made the observation that whenever human beings come up with the exactly correct name for something, we seem to achieve a significant measure of control over it. I therefore propose the term/name, 'Nearpoint Fixation Disorder' as the exactly correct name for the visual condition we are learning to alleviate. I substitute it wherever the term 'myopia' or 'nearsightedness' or 'ammetropia' are incorrectly used to describe those of us who have experienced clear distance vision flashes - flashes which are deemed 'impossible' by those who believe we have 'myopia' or are simply 'nearsighted'. I looked up each of the words, 'nearpoint', 'fixation', and 'disorder' in multiple dictionaries, and I think the term exactly describes the problem: Nearpoint Fixation Disorder.
Smile :Smile
Neonatal Eye Antibiotics as a Root Cause of Nearpoint-Fixation Disorder – A Thesis Proposal

Myopia, or nearsightedness, is commonly defined as an organic (probably genetic) condition of the eye wherein the visual images come to a focus in front of the retina, resulting especially in defective vision of distant objects (with great variability between the two eyes, as well as among myopes in general, extending over a range of many hundreds of feet and thousands of inches in distance). The condition can only be remedied temporarily by lenses or permanently by surgery.

A 1989 study by the National Academy of Sciences’ Working Group on Myopia, “Myopia – Prevalence and Progression”, largely funded by the U.S. Airforce as an investigation into the increasing problem of finding individuals with normal (20/20) vision for training as pilots, revealed the increasing prevalence and progressive worsening of myopia worldwide and especially in the USA and other industrialized countries, for the period roughly 1880 - 1989. Appendix C notes that normal infants are born with normal eyesight or are farsighted.

A 2006 legal essay, “Statutory Law in the USA: Requiring Silver Nitrate in Eyes of Newborns”, by a doctor of laws, Dr. Robert Standler, excoriates the legislatively mandated instillation, always within the first 60 minutes of birth, of neonatal ophthalmologic antibiotics - a practice begun at the turn of the 20th century to prevent syphilitic and gonorrheal blindness, and legislatively mandated by Congress in the 1930’s. It is still mandated today, only in the USA. The method of instillation necessarily results in the two eyes receiving unequal treatment. I believe most Americans, even those with 20/20 acuity, have significantly worse vision in one eye, which is not fully explained by right/left ‘dominance’.

There is abundant evidence that many if not most ‘myopic’ individuals are able to experience momentary and prolonged flashes of clear distance vision. Some individuals claim to have achieved complete control over their previously ‘myopic’ eyesight. Since this is impossible by definition of the myopic condition, I propose that many if not most such people actually are (or were) unconsciously fixated at the nearpoint due to a form of imprinting during the eye antibiotic treatment period, and through some combination of imitation, training, knowledge, relaxation, age, and luck, are able to overcome the fixation momentarily or for more prolonged durations, and occasionally permanently. I also believe that at some point a person learns to perform better at nearpoint-visual activities - thus cementing the latent fixation, or learns to perform better at distance-visual activities instead - thus overcoming the fixation.

I propose to investigate, improve upon and extend the work of an early-20th century ophthalmologist, Dr. William H. Bates, as a means of visual training and biofeedback to overcome nearpoint fixation disorder.

I believe the eye antibiotics are a root cause of the gradually increasing prevalence and progressive worsening of so-called ‘myopia’ worldwide and especially in the USA. Longitudinal, cross-cultural and other studies would be necessary as a first test to determine whether there is a correlation. At a minimum, this would require access to medical and ophthalmologic/optometric records and obstetrical practices, as well as observations and measurements of the instillation and follow-up procedures at various institutions, and interviews of medical personnel, parents, and recipients of the antibiotics.

I propose to investigate and research this as my PhD thesis in Psychology.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now