MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
BEGINNERS what to do first?????????????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEGINNERS what to do first?????????????
Hello, I'm new to Bates Method and I wanted to know how should I get started? I have Bates Method Book, it's pretty long and some things I don't quite understand. I'm confused and lost and I just don't know where to start? How did you guys start? Did you start a schedule of when to do Bates Method each day? I've tried some of the methods like palming and it is definitely relaxing, however I don't know if it's working and worse if I'm doing it right. I'm just scared that if I'm not doing it right and seeing results than it would be a complete waste of time. Any help would be thankful.
Waste not, want not.
Basic714 -- the central idea of the Bates method is to notice when and how your straining your vision, and to stop it. Anything that helps you relax sand become more aware is is good. Glasses strain you and teach you to have straining habits so whatever you can do without them safely (don't drive illegally), do. Use this forum as a resource and learn from other's experiences, but you'll have to find what works for you and your life and your routine -- there is no cookbook program that works for everyone. If palming relaxes you, keep doing it, and gradually introduce other techniques if they seem useful. Most of all, notice details, imagine them if you can't see them, and soon you might.This is all about the way you use your eyes.
Didn't quite answer my question but thanks. I'm get to right on it.
Quote:how should I get started?

start by demonstrating the easiest things (max one new thing per day). Dr. Bates wrote 10 years of magazines found here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com/better-eyesight-magazine/">http://www.central-fixation.com/better- ... -magazine/</a><!-- m -->
The first article of each month is usually a short article with instructions to demonstrate one of his techniques. These are the best, shortest, most simple instructions you will find. You don't need to start at the first magazine. I just had a quick look through, try the first article of Dec. 1924, May 1925, Jan. 1922, Dec. 1922 all of them from 1926 and 1927 are really good as well. Remember, do one thing at a time, take your time. If it doesn't make sense, ask for help. If it doesn't work, ask yourself if you were paying attention to yourself while doing it (correct) or if you were just sitting there the whole time wondering if it's working (which is wrong by the way). Keep in mind that not all techniques will necessarily work for you. Just repeat the ones you find help you. Come back to the confusing/unhelpful ones at a later time.

Quote:How did you guys start?

I started by reading Bates's book and magazines, then I read stuff from modern teachers. I also took some lessons from a local Bates teacher. Most importantly, I tried what I read: central fixation, reading the chart, swinging, palming, memory, imagination, closed eye sunning. Everything I did is on my blog...

Quote:Did you start a schedule of when to do Bates Method each day?

No,and I don't recommend doing that. If palming helps you, you might make a goal to palm 5 minutes a few times a day, or 20 minutes after work. But you have to continuously evaluate if that is the right thing to be doing. And you don't want it to turn into a chore. These things change, and keep in mind that some things work over time, not right away.

You know if you do something wrong immediately, however, because your vision will be worse afterwards.

If you feel relaxed but doing see improvement to vision, don't worry. You are still gaining benefit by being relaxed, see how long through out the day you can maintain that feeling. If palming relaxes you, it may be a good preparation for shifting practice, for example.

Best of luck!
sorrisi
WOW.....thanks for the detailed answer I really do appreciate it. How has bates method been working for you? thanks for the fantastic answers guys. Wink
hey, no worries. when I started I had great difficulty doing anything without glasses (-8), I couldn't recognize faces if they were more than 2 feet away. Now I can do almost everything without glasses. In a dim restaurant I can see people's faces around the table, outside I can recognize people across the street. I still use -3 glasses to work on my phd because it's stressful for me, but that's getting better and will be over soon. I don't drive at the moment so I don't have to worry about my glasses prescription, and I don't recommend keeping track of progress based on the glasses you wear. I use a Snellen chart to practice with, and over time I got used to how much my vision fluctuates, and then an idea of what improvement is permanent. I don't use the Snellen chart to test my eyes, but on the chart I went from reading 5/200 at best at the beginning to now 10/20, which means my sight is 20 times better than when I startred. It's slow but fantastic. keep in mind everyone's progress is different. Sometimes it will go fast, sometimes slow, gradually, or all at once. also keep in mind that there are as many ways to approach this as there are people out there, different techniques (and variations) work for different people.

start with the basics, slowly, and build trust in listening to your own intuition about what is working (or not) for you.
basic714 Wrote:Hello, I'm new to Bates Method and I wanted to know how should I get started? I have Bates Method Book, it's pretty long and some things I don't quite understand. I'm confused and lost and I just don't know where to start? How did you guys start? Did you start a schedule of when to do Bates Method each day? I've tried some of the methods like palming and it is definitely relaxing, however I don't know if it's working and worse if I'm doing it right. I'm just scared that if I'm not doing it right and seeing results than it would be a complete waste of time. Any help would be thankful.

Didn't visit the site, right?

Here you go.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/intro/howtobegin.html">http://www.iblindness.org/intro/howtobegin.html</a><!-- m --> Wink
thanks guys, how long did it take to get in your state?

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download