MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
eyesight in the morning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eyesight in the morning
when i wake up for school around 6 or 6 thirtieish my vision is a lot better than during the day. it only lasts for a couple minutes but there it is. when i wake up around 9 or wahtever on the weekends, my vision isn't clear and all that. i wonder the cause...

becuase i didn't want to wake up one morning, i dcided to palm before rolling out of bed. i palmed for a couple of minutes: three maybe? and when i walked to the bathroom, it was clearer than the usual morning thing. is this a clear flash thingy? i realize i am really relaxed in the morning, and the stark contrast between the light and dark I think is a factor.

anyone have any theories or helpful advice? Smile
sunlight456 Wrote:When I wake up for school around 6 or 6 thirtyish my vision is a lot better than during the day. It only lasts for a couple minutes but there it is. When I wake up around 9 or whatever on the weekends, my vision isn't clear and all that. I wonder the cause... Because I didn't want to wake up one morning, I decided to palm before rolling out of bed. I palmed for a couple of minutes: three maybe? and when I walked to the bathroom, it was clearer than the usual morning thing. Is this a clear flash thingy? I realize I am really relaxed in the morning, and the stark contrast between the light and dark I think is a factor. Anyone have any theories or helpful advice? Smile
I've noticed the same thing for myself. I believe it is because in the early morning as the sun is rising the gradual shift from darker to brighter surrounding light environment, combined with a couple minutes of palming to relax the mind and visual system, provides an opportunity to reorient ourselves so that we begin pointing our eyes and mind together in more visually-optimal directions. The gradually increasing brightness provides a better way to calibrate our visual and mental orientation. You are on the right track to improved vision/eyesight.
This is probably one big reason that people such as farmers, construction workers, hunters/outdoors people tend to have and retain their distance vision. What they don't do is then proceed to fixate at the nearpoint by concentrating for hours on readin', writin', and 'rithmatic. In school they would be accused of not paying attention in class, looking out the window, fooling around, etc. But the real reason they do that is probably to avoid nearpoint fixation.
If you sleep and you don't have a stressful dream, you always have better vision when you wake up.
'

While sleeping, your whole body was relaxed and totally paralyzed. Your mind was also relaxed and you passed through REM.
Its nice to read this post....
Its very informative one...
GOOD JOB,

make money online
I noticed too when I wake up early than normal other than just falling back asleep that my vision is relaxed. Strange :p
Kayla Wrote:I noticed too when I wake up early than normal other than just falling back asleep that my vision is relaxed. Strange :p
ONE MAN'S OPINION:
Before beginning the Bates Method we were much less aware (or maybe too much/more aware?) of our visual system and its parts. While asleep we have usually been somewhat 'palming' for multiple hours. (The amount of REM activity is only about 20-25 percent of the sleep time, and even that activity is far less stressful than actually using the visual system during the day.)
In the less intense early morning light, our eyes and mind are more open and less stressed. Each eye is therefore more relaxed upon waking. They've been shifting during REM and we haven't been blinking them incorrectly. The brain/occipital lobes are also more relaxed. The mind is more relaxed. The visual system is more relaxed.
The relaxed parts of the visual system naturally want to work together.
Waking up as the sun is rising provides a gradually increasing light stimulus which provides a way for our relaxed visual system parts to calibrate themselves together. Maybe it's like tuning a musical instrument. Or warming up the engine oil.
Unfortunately once the brightness reaches a certain intensity, the parts start to go their own way again, each one distracted by, responding to and following a slightly different visual or mental path under a slightly different sense of timing.
Our challenge then is to stay relaxed and find the correct path at the correct time for the visual system components to keep working together and to let us see into whichever distance we are interested in. Adjusting posture, shifting, relaxed breathing, relaxed blinking, etc. are necessary for developing a unified visual system, all parts aiming together into the visible world.
It's like trying to let the light lead us, rather than vice-versa, charging off half-blindedly into the light.
Some mornings I see how long I can keep my eyes closed - even while walking around, lights off, feeling my way, sort of letting my visual system 'warm up', before opening the eyes.
The 'world' doesn't want to wait for us to 'get our act together'; the 'world' seems to want to bully us around. And the bully has partially wormed its way inside us. We have to stand up to the bully and make it get behind us.
8) Smile O0
The 'world' doesn't want to wait for us to 'get our act together'; the 'world' seems to want to bully us around. And the bully has partially wormed its way inside us. We have to stand up to the bully and make it get behind us.
8) Smile O0[/quote]

I love that analogy Smile Well put.
Yeh world, stop bullying people into being stressed and needing crutches for their eyes.

Sorry btw - I don't know how to quote properly Smile
JMartinC4 Wrote:
Kayla Wrote:I noticed too when I wake up early than normal other than just falling back asleep that my vision is relaxed. Strange :p
ONE MAN'S OPINION:
Before beginning the Bates Method we were much less aware (or maybe too much/more aware?) of our visual system and its parts. While asleep we have usually been somewhat 'palming' for multiple hours. (The amount of REM activity is only about 20-25 percent of the sleep time, and even that activity is far less stressful than actually using the visual system during the day.)
In the less intense early morning light, our eyes and mind are more open and less stressed. Each eye is therefore more relaxed upon waking. They've been shifting during REM and we haven't been blinking them incorrectly. The brain/occipital lobes are also more relaxed. The mind is more relaxed. The visual system is more relaxed.
The relaxed parts of the visual system naturally want to work together.
Waking up as the sun is rising provides a gradually increasing light stimulus which provides a way for our relaxed visual system parts to calibrate themselves together. Maybe it's like tuning a musical instrument. Or warming up the engine oil.
Unfortunately once the brightness reaches a certain intensity, the parts start to go their own way again, each one distracted by, responding to and following a slightly different visual or mental path under a slightly different sense of timing.
Our challenge then is to stay relaxed and find the correct path at the correct time for the visual system components to keep working together and to let us see into whichever distance we are interested in. Adjusting posture, shifting, relaxed breathing, relaxed blinking, etc. are necessary for developing a unified visual system, all parts aiming together into the visible world.
It's like trying to let the light lead us, rather than vice-versa, charging off half-blindedly into the light.
Some mornings I see how long I can keep my eyes closed - even while walking around, lights off, feeling my way, sort of letting my visual system 'warm up', before opening the eyes.
8) Smile O0
i think this makes perfect sense. i think that whenever i am seeing, i am always wanting to see better so i'm straining all the time. when objects arn't in full light, i'm not really thinking about how i want them to look, so i'm more relaxed about it. yeah. i'm thinking of how this is teaching me something, how i can imitate this relaxation all day.
I also often find myself the most relaxed in the morning. What Bates says however contradicts this experience. This is citated from his book, 7. chapter:

''During sleep the refractive condition of the eye is rarely, if ever, normal. Persons whose refraction is normal when they are awake will produce myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism when they are asleep, or, if they have errors of refraction when they are awake, they will be increased during sleep. This is why people waken in the morning with eyes more tired than at any other time, or even with severe headaches.''
T Wrote:I also often find myself the most relaxed in the morning. What Bates says however contradicts this experience. This is citated from his book, 7. chapter: ''During sleep the refractive condition of the eye is rarely, if ever, normal. Persons whose refraction is normal when they are awake will produce myopia, hypermetropia and astigmatism when they are asleep, or, if they have errors of refraction when they are awake, they will be increased during sleep. This is why people waken in the morning with eyes more tired than at any other time, or even with severe headaches.''
Maybe Dr. Bates wasn't right about everything? Maybe he was just a genius, not a god? Maybe his book is not the equivalent of the bible? Maybe Dr. Bates' 100-year-old observations and opinings shouldn't be referred to as if they were gospel and anything contradictory is heresy? What exactly are the Bates-adorers scared of? I am a Bates admirer; but I dont' worship him.
Smile :Smile 8) O0
No, no. Bates is indeed right but maybe not absolutely right.
There are days i wake up with better vision, and days wake up with crappy vision.

We must not judge so easy 100 year old observations.

Just think what we do in 2010 and what people where doing in 1910 when they woke up. Not to mention what they did and what we do before sleep. Maybe there where social factors in. Like stress to wake up to go to work. Just imagine going from Jersey to Manhattan to work in 1910... You couldn't just drive there.

During sleep, i think we have no facts about whats happening to the eyes. I mean sleeping, not being under anesthetic.

Maybe indeed the sight is worse in the morning, but when we don't immediately leave bead, we can relax remembering the REM relaxation.
Maybe the better vision is caused by sleep paralysis same way a person doesn't feel pain on a wound immediately after he wakes up.
Maybe in time we learned to remember subconsciously this paralysis for a longer time than the time intended.

PERFECT SIGHT WITHOUT GLASSES
PREFACE

Quote:This book aims to be a collection of facts and not of theories, and insofar as it is, I do not fear successful contradiction. When explanations have been offered it has been done with considerable trepidation, because I have never been able to formulate a theory that would withstand the test of the facts either in my possession at the time, or accumulated later. The same is true of the theories of every other man, for a theory is only a guess, and you cannot guess or imagine the truth. No one has ever satisfactorily answered the question, "Why?" as most scientific men are well aware, and I did not feel that I could do better than others who had tried and failed. One cannot even draw conclusions safely from facts, because a conclusion is very much like a theory, and may be disproved or modified by facts accumulated later. In the science of ophthalmology, theories, often stated as facts, have served to obscure the truth and throttle investigation for more than a hundred years. The explanations of the phenomena of sight put forward by Young, von Graefe, Helmholtz and Donders have caused us to ignore or explain away a multitude of facts which otherwise would have led to the discovery of the truth about errors of refraction and the consequent prevention of an incalculable amount of human misery.
JMartinC4, congratulations! You want a cookie for that?

Ares, well I think stress before work is present in this day as it was then. I don't think much has changed in this regard. Still it's hard to imagine eyes are most tired in the morning as a rule as Bates writes.
Well, something i didn't get is if Bates was talking about people who Using his method, or people who don't.

If as you said, not much have changed from 1910, he can't did that mistake.

I am ware that i just wrote a bunch of crap above, but something that wrong can't be written as fact just like that.
Then i remembered my vision at morning after three years, and how it was indeed becoming better during the day than the morning. Thats what i wanted to present at this thread actually...

So, people who don't use Bates Method might indeed have worse vision in the morning, but those who use Bates Method have anticipated "patterns" of relaxation during sleep and when they wake up.

I know that i sound like a Fanatic Bates Believer, but somehow it doesn't feel right...
Knowing the experiences after sleep of someone who has never followed the Bates Method might help us understand.
I think it depends on whether the person you ask has good visual habits, whether he learned them from Bates or not. I have an unhealthy friend (smoker, overweight) who is always putting drops in her eyes and says her eyes are most tired and dry in the morning when she wakes up. (I've talked to her endlessly about Bates habits, believe me, and gotten nowhere.) For me, who follows the Bates habits as well as I understand them, my eyes are most relaxed when I first wake up, but I'm able more and more to get that level of relaxation back if I palm or even just close my eyes and breathe deeply for a few minute.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now