Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re: To Otis (or others) about using plus lens.
Dear Lisa,

This is a Bates site -- and I respect that issue.

I personally wish that I had support for a PREVENTIVE
second-opinion -- when I NEEDED it -- but never got
it.  I certainly DO UNDERSTAND the difficulties of
true-prevention with the plus. They are not
trivial.  But let me respond:

Lisa> I found this site when I recently started to get serious about clearing my vision. About three years ago, I tried to get some "fitness" glasses to wear because I read that would help improve my vision. I could not find any doctor that would prescribe me a lens to see about 20/40 - I was told I was crazy basically. I finally got around this by getting a doctor to give me "computer" glasses in addition to a stronger minus lens for everday use.

Otis> These majority-opinion ODs have their heads buried in their office -- and never see the "light" of scientific day.  Bates pointed out how destructive they are with their over-prescribed minus.  I object to
their "arrogance", but I do understand their "position".

I wore the lower lens most of the time until about a year ago when I started taking my glasses off more. The prescription was -1 and -1.25 with an astigmatism of -.5 in both eyes. I can now see clearly 20/20 full line out of these lens when my original prescription was -2.75 and -2.50 with the same astigmatism.

Otis>  I advocate prevention BEFORE the minus -- always.  But once you wear the minus -- your eyes "adapt" to it -- and that makes vision clearing very difficult.

I just recently got a new pair of glasses with -.50 and -.75 as the prescription and I can see 20/40 out of them.

Otis>  I am sorry to be in a position to see this "too little -- too late".  But that is part of the harsh reality that we deal with.

Lisa> I am a little confused about how the plus works. After reading a bit I went out and bought some +1.25 glasses. I have to get 12 inches in front of my computer screen in order to read it clearly. I thought I had read it wrong then and went out to the store and looked at the stronger plus prescriptions.

Otis>  The "advocacy" is that the "plus" be started before your Snellen goes below 20/70.  I belive that all ODs should AUTOMATICALLY broach this subject with you -- as professinals.  That way you could make a choice in this matter.  But they profoundly stone-wall this attempt at professional honesty.  That is why I post here.

With the stronger ones I found I had to bring things in even closer to see them clearly so I decided not to  buy anymore until I could talk to someone about this here.

Otis>  That is correct.

I am game to try the plus lenses and have found that my eyes are a bit clearer after doing computer work or reading when I wear them - or at least they are not fuzzier after I'm done. I can see the computer screen clearly at 21 inches without my glasses on.

Otis>  At 21 inches, your "power" would be about -1.75 diotpers (because of that darned minus lens.)  You Snellen would be about 20/100.  I would suggest checking.

I would love some feedback on what I should or could be doing. I have already improved my vision enough to know that it can be done.

Otis>  Because of that minus -- the situation is indeed difficuilt.
You might read:

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.myopiafree.com">http://www.myopiafree.com</a><!-- w -->

for a more complete discussion of this preventive
second-opinion.

Best,

Otis

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download

Messages In This Thread
Re: To Otis (or others) about using plus lens. - by otis - 08-23-2006, 08:31 PM