MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Near point stress

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Near point stress
Well I have been wondering about this for a while and could not find it anywhere so I decided to post. Why is it that near point stress causes the eyeball to elongate, when far(?) point stress does not cause it to shorten? I mean, if the "muscle" theory was true, wouldn't the eyeball want to reduce the stress caused by looking far away by reshaping the eye and improving vision? Thanks in advance for the answers.
jdiaz Wrote:Why is it that near point stress causes the eyeball to elongate, when far(?) point stress does not cause it to shorten? I mean, if the "muscle" theory was true, wouldn't the eyeball want to reduce the stress caused by looking far away by reshaping the eye and improving vision?
This sounds messed up. So, it sounds like you think that 'nearpoint stress' such as might occur from reading or other prolonged closework, requires the eyeball to 'elongate' so the images can be focused onto the retina/macula/fovea for clear vision of the near images. Then, you assume, that muscular habit stresses the eyeball and fixates it at that elongation.
THE "MUSCLE THEORY" IS NOT CORRECT.
The eye muscles primarily and simply control the direction each eye is pointed.
According to a recent study, the only part of the eye that 'elongates' is the very front - and in my opinion that part that is simply the corneal tearfilm.
The next time you get a clear flash, instead of trying to 'capture' it, relax and stretch your eyebrows and eyelids wide open and blink.
That's actually an interesting question. What I'm unsure about is whether there is such a thing as "far point strain". I actually don't understand much at all about farsightedness, but if I recall, the eyeball is shorter in far-sighted people.

I don't actually know the answer to that question, but I don't think it's likely that you can stop one kind of strain by straining your eyes "the other way". How would you strain it the other way anyway? I don't have any evidence to back me up, but I just don't think that two wrongs can make a right in this case.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download