MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
PLEASE HELP

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLEASE HELP
I am new to the Bates Method. Thankfully, I am still young (15yrs) and I have low myopia (-2.25 both eyes). I wish to get rid of my contacts and I have some questions about the bates method. Can someone please tell me about the basis of the method?

1. When I try to "swing", I just kind of move my head back and forth....nothing happens, my eyes still feel strained...

2. When Bates says shifting, does he mean constant movement every second of your life?

3. I always try to outline the shapes of objects....

4. By central fixation, isn't that staring at one point...?

5. How long might it take to get to 20/20 vision if I do bates everyday?

Please answer the above 5 queries....THANKS!
Bound4Harvard Wrote:1. When I try to "swing", I just kind of move my head back and forth....nothing happens, my eyes still feel strained...

Moving your head isn't what you need to do - its the eyes that need to swing to prevent staring.

Quote:2. When Bates says shifting, does he mean constant movement every second of your life?

Nope. Its to be done if you have a tendency to stare which you obviously do. Soon enough, it becomes natural to change focus quickly.

Quote:3. I always try to outline the shapes of objects....

I didn't see noticeable success so I don't recommend it for you but trial & error is best here.

Quote:4. By central fixation, isn't that staring at one point...?

Again, looking at one point & shifting to another point soon enough to avoid strain.

Quote:5. How long might it take to get to 20/20 vision if I do bates everyday?

You can't put a specified time duration because how is your vision now depends on your mood, thoughts, emotions, even the weather at the particular moment.
Still, you can have 20/20 immediately if you did the right thing but that's likely to revert back because of the highly dominant strain.
Time is required to overcome that strain permanently & it can be mentally excruciating to get back the good habits because being Bad is too Easy.
here are some answers based on my own experience and referencing stuff that's already written.

1. There are many swings. This woman has written an easy to read 'how to' list:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://natural2020vision.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/more-swings-short-long-universal/">http://natural2020vision.wordpress.com/ ... universal/</a><!-- m -->

2. yes, movement is life, stillness is death. The swing can be small, so it's not as if you need to walk through the rest of your life with your head bobbing.

3. seek details that are interesting to you. keep creativity in the way you look at the world.

4. no, but many people do stare when they attempt central fixation. 2xtreme2fit's response was right on.
Read BAtes's chapter on C.F. very carefully. You know you have understood it properly if you can understand the answer to the following question:

How do you see best where you are looking?
By seeing something worse when you look away from it.
This takes the attention off of straining to see and prevents the stare.

See the video in this post:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/central-fixation/">http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/2010/11/16 ... -fixation/</a><!-- m -->

5. Dr. Bates wrote this about expecting results: In the beginning of treatment, as well as later, it has been found to be a great benefit to have the patient demonstrate facts. It is better to avoid stating results expected, and instead let the patient discover the results for himself.

In other words, you will find out if you practice. (get a Snellen chart: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/snellen-chart/">http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/snellen-chart/</a><!-- m -->)

This is a lot of info, if you don't have any progress teaching yourself, consider either getting some friends together to practice as a group, or getting a teacher.
all the best,
Sorrisi
To add to the last part of sorrisiblue's post, it also helps to read topics throughout these forums and ask questions or share your experiences with others.
You need to start right away, know what is working for you. Act out your interest & let your interest direct your vision to whatever it is you want to see.
Interesting objects will always improve your vision, slowly but surely.
The first step to finding interesting objects is to look for them. I know that sounds dead-obvious, but when I thought about it recently, I realized that the reason nothing ever looked interesting was because I wasn't looking for anything of interest.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now