MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
May I ask of the Bate Method?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May I ask of the Bate Method?
What are good seeing habits?
The problem with most of us are the habits that we have..But i dont understand with the Bates Method..
Please tell me what habits that we should and must do in order to obtain perfection in vision..
I'm sure there's a better way of phrasing it, but in general, just about everything Bates discusses in his writings are the good habits we need to have for perfect vision. They are: Relaxation, Shifting, Central Fixation, Blinking, Breathing, Imagination, and probably a few others that I missed. The point of these "exercises" is not to exercise your eyes physically, but to undo bad vision habits and supplant them with the proper ones. For descriptions of each of the habits mentioned above, you can refer to the section of the forums titled "Exercise Descriptions".
Pikachu Wrote:I'm sure there's a better way of phrasing it, but in general, just about everything Bates discusses in his writings are the good habits we need to have for perfect vision. They are: Relaxation, Shifting, Central Fixation, Blinking, Breathing, Imagination, and probably a few others that I missed. The point of these "exercises" is not to exercise your eyes physically, but to undo bad vision habits and supplant them with the proper ones. For descriptions of each of the habits mentioned above, you can refer to the section of the forums titled "Exercise Descriptions".
They are still considered exercises..Not habits..
Be interested in what you're looking at. Look at one thing at a time. Move your gaze, even a little (don't stare). Breathe deeply and regularly. Blink often. Relax.
Nancy Wrote:Be interested in what you're looking at. Look at one thing at a time. Move your gaze, even a little (don't stare). Breathe deeply and regularly. Blink often. Relax.
Thank you Nancy.However i do not understand the concept of centralization..I do understand that it means seeing the place where you see best..But what i dont understand is how to use this concept into obtaining perfect vision..
Are exercises actually required/necessary to obtain perfect vision?
@Zulfadhli: I'm sorry if I confused you. Depending on how you look at it, relaxation can be a habit or an exercise. Palming would be an example of a specific relaxation exercise, but if you can take what you learn in palming and apply it to your every-day life, then it becomes a habit. The same goes for the others I mentioned. The idea behind all of these exercises is to get you to practice these habits consciously. Once you can do that, you should be eventually able to do it unconsciously.

As to your question regarding central fixation, it might be a good idea to go through the Bates writings. I've recently reread them only to find that there is quite a bit that I misinterpreted or misunderstood before. If I'm not mistaken, this is what Bates believed:

In normal eyes (20/20), there is a very small area in the center of the visual field that is seen best, while all other areas are seen worse, with the very outside periphery seen the worst. One problem of many myopes is that they try to see some of these other areas as clearly as they see the center of the visual field. This creates strain and produces myopia. So the idea behind central fixation is to "relearn" to see the center of the visual field best and see everything else worse. This might sound counter-intuitive, but when combined with shifting and swinging, normal vision can be achieved. Again, that's just how I understood Bates' writing, and for all I know, I could be way off base, so it wouldn't be a bad idea if you read and interpreted it yourself.

As for that last question regarding the necessity of exercises, let me answer that with a question: Can you unconsciously get your eyes to follow all the proper vision habits without doing anything? Clearly, less-than-perfect vision implies that some bad habit has set in and the only way to undo it is to practice a good habit. Thus, exercises. Of course, once you get to 20/20 vision, you theoretically don't need to do anything else to retain that vision as long as you continue to practice good habits consistently.
Pikachu Wrote:@Zulfadhli: I'm sorry if I confused you. Depending on how you look at it, relaxation can be a habit or an exercise. Palming would be an example of a specific relaxation exercise, but if you can take what you learn in palming and apply it to your every-day life, then it becomes a habit. The same goes for the others I mentioned. The idea behind all of these exercises is to get you to practice these habits consciously. Once you can do that, you should be eventually able to do it unconsciously.

As to your question regarding central fixation, it might be a good idea to go through the Bates writings. I've recently reread them only to find that there is quite a bit that I misinterpreted or misunderstood before. If I'm not mistaken, this is what Bates believed:

In normal eyes (20/20), there is a very small area in the center of the visual field that is seen best, while all other areas are seen worse, with the very outside periphery seen the worst. One problem of many myopes is that they try to see some of these other areas as clearly as they see the center of the visual field. This creates strain and produces myopia. So the idea behind central fixation is to "relearn" to see the center of the visual field best and see everything else worse. This might sound counter-intuitive, but when combined with shifting and swinging, normal vision can be achieved. Again, that's just how I understood Bates' writing, and for all I know, I could be way off base, so it wouldn't be a bad idea if you read and interpreted it yourself.

As for that last question regarding the necessity of exercises, let me answer that with a question: Can you unconsciously get your eyes to follow all the proper vision habits without doing anything? Clearly, less-than-perfect vision implies that some bad habit has set in and the only way to undo it is to practice a good habit. Thus, exercises. Of course, once you get to 20/20 vision, you theoretically don't need to do anything else to retain that vision as long as you continue to practice good habits consistently.
May i know the source of this information?And where is the best place to study Bates?
Zulfadhli:

Check it out: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.central-fixation.com">www.central-fixation.com</a><!-- w --> for Bates' writings. It's free.
Error of refraction are caused because some how we get ideas that seeing requires effort and develop a habit to strain and stare on what we see, believing that is immobile, we also try to keep the eyes wide open and blink less and we start to try and see the whole picture at once.

Palming is the best way to deal with these problems, because if the mind is relaxed, the vision will become more natural until you are able for perfect relaxation and the eyes will start working perfectly and naturally.
Ares Wrote:Error of refraction are caused because some how we get ideas that seeing requires effort and develop a habit to strain and stare on what we see, believing that is immobile, we also try to keep the eyes wide open and blink less and we start to try and see the whole picture at once.

Palming is the best way to deal with these problems, because if the mind is relaxed, the vision will become more natural until you are able for perfect relaxation and the eyes will start working perfectly and naturally.
I do understand that but it becomes impractical to palm 24/7..
You do not need to palm 24/7, although generally speaking, the more frequently and longer you palm, the better it is for your eyes. The idea is that at some point, this relaxation from palming can carry over even when you aren't palming.
Pikachu Wrote:You do not need to palm 24/7, although generally speaking, the more frequently and longer you palm, the better it is for your eyes. The idea is that at some point, this relaxation from palming can carry over even when you aren't palming.
So in other words exercises creates habits in turn create better vision?
In a nutshell, yeah.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now