MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Hitting the Wall

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hitting the Wall
Early in the thread on Swinging, David wrote:
"I don't do it for any particular number of swings. I find that the
best results come when I do it for around 15 minutes or longer. When
I feel like stopping for no pressing reason, I keep going, and
that's when the best results come
."
I want to hear what all of your thoughts are on that moment when you feel pressed to stop.
What is it that is influencing you? How do you overcome it?
I think this is a critical moment in our practice and I want to better understand it.
I'll share my thoughts soon. Wink
I've been focusing on shifting more recently, but a few weeks ago, when I would swing every day after I woke up, I found that what usually got me to stop was a sense of time. I don't know how to explain it, but I guess that when I became aware of how much time I had already spent, I just felt that I needed to do something else to "change it up" a bit. I suppose that one solution would be to put your mind on something that takes you "away from reality" for as long as possible.
Pikachu Wrote:I've been focusing on shifting more recently, but a few weeks ago, when I would swing every day after I woke up, I found that what usually got me to stop was a sense of time. I don't know how to explain it, but I guess that when I became aware of how much time I had already spent, I just felt that I needed to do something else to "change it up" a bit. I suppose that one solution would be to put your mind on something that takes you "away from reality" for as long as possible.
Yikes! Let's not call that nagging voice "reality"! Big Grin
Focusing on breath really aids in relaxation. Seems like if time is a preoccupation you may not be "in the process". I very much relate to everything you wrote! So what kind of thoughts get you back in the moment?
It's kind of difficult to pinpoint one thing that breaks the relaxation process (didn't know how else to phrase it without calling it "reality" Smile), but I would probably say that one of my greater problems is definitely boredom. I start taking my mind off stressful things and hopefully think of something nice, but there are actually two problems with this.

1. This mindset where I simply "bask" in my own relaxation without worrying about other things is very difficult to achieve. I've actually never been able to really get into this mode, much less stay in it. So instead, I think of something that is nice, though not necessarily relaxing, in the hopes that I can think about this nice thing for as long as possible.

2. The problem with thinking about something as long as possible is that it has to be something that really interests you and you actually have to want to think about it or else you get bored very quickly and accomplish near nothing. Forcing yourself to think about something is just straining yourself, so that doesn't work either.

What I think this may come down to is imagination. How creative and engaging can your imagination be to the point where it can keep your mind interested and relaxed?
Firstly, I wasn't just taking a look at swinging but any exercise that takes patience.
Pikachu Wrote:but I would probably say that one of my greater problems is definitely boredom. I start taking my mind off stressful things and hopefully think of something nice,
Ah, boredom! What is boredom, really? I get bored when I reject my present situation. Or when I am wound up but unable to find diversion. Definitely, swinging and shifting isn't a very good diversion. In fact, it's damn tedious! Give me clarity and give it to me now! >Big Grin I know it is good for children to be bored sometimes and not always have fancy, over-stimulating toys; boredom can activate the imagination of children!
Pikachu Wrote:1. This mindset where I simply "bask" in my own relaxation without worrying about other things is very difficult to achieve. I've actually never been able to really get into this mode, much less stay in it. So instead, I think of something that is nice, though not necessarily relaxing, in the hopes that I can think about this nice thing for as long as possible.
Yes. I think it just takes practice. Lots of practice. At least that's what I counting on! ;D
Pikachu Wrote:2. The problem with thinking about something as long as possible is that it has to be something that really interests you and you actually have to want to think about it or else you get bored very quickly and accomplish near nothing. Forcing yourself to think about something is just straining yourself, so that doesn't work either.

What about imagining yourself someplace you find very beautiful and you are there and can see it perfectly clear? That should be very engaging and rewarding to fantasize about. Perhaps, this would be best while palming. Whatever the fantasy, I have to have relaxation first, otherwise, I just struggle unpleasantly.
otto Wrote:Early in the thread on Swinging, David wrote:
"I don't do it for any particular number of swings. I find that the
best results come when I do it for around 15 minutes or longer. When
I feel like stopping for no pressing reason, I keep going, and
that's when the best results come
."
I want to hear what all of your thoughts are on that moment when you feel pressed to stop.
What is it that is influencing you? How do you overcome it?
I think this is a critical moment in our practice and I want to better understand it.
I'll share my thoughts soon. Wink

I guess I wrote that quite a while ago, but I actually still agree with it. It's a sudden feeling of restlessness, something energetic in you squirming in discomfort. You have to dissociate from it - focusing on your breath is the easiest way - and remain still and continue doing whatever is causing the feeling and spend the few minutes to push through it as far as you can. I don't think it's worth trying to guess any further than that what it is, but I'm sure that's the way to handle it.

Dave
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith
There's a related idea in other disciplines, like in yoga stretching just to your edge, and then seeing if you can go just a bit beyond it, being gentle with yourself, not yanking your body around and forcing things. I think some of "the wall" is habit ("I've never seen this clearly before!", thought with great alarm), getting used to something new or different, and some of it may be fear too -- The Unknown can be pretty scary since some of us have great imaginations for disaster. I agree with Dave that the time is better spent on the practice itself and trying to extend your comfort zone than on analyzing why it is where it is now.
True, but it can be quite fun to analyze things like that. Smile
Nancy Wrote:I think some of "the wall" is habit ("I've never seen this clearly before!", thought with great alarm), getting used to something new or different, and some of it may be fear too
I do think that there is a part of the mind that LOVES the status quo and will try extremely hard to influence you to stop or give up on any endeavor that poses a threat. Often it is voices in the mind, sometimes more subconcious that noticable. "This never worked before. What makes me think it will work this time?" "I probably am just too anxious a person to succeed with this." or "Why do I think I should succeed at this when all those other people are doomed to wear glasses?"
And I think this same part of the mind can make you incredibly physically uncomfortable. So don't feel there is anything wrong with you if you have difficulty keeping on.
I wholly agree with David; following the breath is the best game in town. Starting anywhere else can be futile for us with myopic personalities!
Yeah I come across this frequently.

There's a struggle within the mind to continue or not continue. By continuing you build your willpower that is unstoppable and applicable to so many endeavors in life. It is what brings results. Many spiritual masters urge practitioners to push through this as it communicates with the deepest part of you what is important.

Bate's method is a spiritual practise.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now