MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Peripheral Vision and Glaucoma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peripheral Vision and Glaucoma
I hope I'm not posting in the wrong spot. but....I'm wondering if anyone can answer these questions? What are the best "exercises" (or visual practices) for improvement of peripherial vision? Just trying to see details? Also, will natural eyesight practices entirely take away risk of glaucoma? My former eye doctor didn't say I had glaucoma "yet" but he said the pressure was too high. The doctor I'm going to now keeps saying that I am only seeing things in a very central way, and that you have to see to the sides as well (or notice what's going on there - something like that) - and as I've read here somewhere about details. He gave me a ball to hang from the ceiling and spin around my head with one eye patched, but is there anything else I could do? Also what will help with what I'd call "phantom letters" ? When I look at something it seems like it would be fairly clear if only there were not another lighter copy of whatever I'm looking at floating over it - either a little ways off or right on top of it. Another question is why, although my prescription has gone down from 8 to 6.50, can't I see anything to read any further away than I could at 8? - although it looks like the world is a little clearer, especially in the distance. I'd find it helpful if I could read from about 12 inches without my glasses on - at least I'd find it easier to not wear them then - but it's hard not to reach for them when I can still only see clearly about two inches away the most. I've heard you're supposed to look at the white spaces around words instead of the words, but I don't seem to have much luck at that - is there anything else? - or another hint as to how to do it? Or is it to just look at details again? But I'm not having much luck at that either. Thanks very much for any suggestions.
hi, one easy peripheral vision exercize is to look ahead in a dark room and wave a candle or LED light in your periphery. You can also lift your arms and wave with your hands to the side of your face while reading on the computer.

You are very lucky to have the opportunity to treat glaucoma preventatively, many people don't find out they have it until it has already progressed. I encourage you to practice whatever method you choose consistently for 3-6 months without judgment, and I hope that you are able to learn to access the self healing capability of your body.

Based on my own personal experience of using the Bates method to treate myopia, it is most efficient to learn from a teacher directly. A lot of the Bates method is trial and error. People with myopia have the luxury of time, we can practice many methods and see if they work or not, and then choose the ones that work to focus on. To teach this to yourself requires a lot of reading and relies on your own awareness and judgment of how well it's working. If you have the resources, get the help of a teacher who has experience with glaucoma so that you can improve your condition before eye drops are necessary and before you start losing peripheral vision.

I would recommend discussing this with Meir Schneider, he's helped people with glaucoma before. I had a telephone conversation with him that was very useful in helping my mother-in-law with her glaucoma. His exercizes for glaucoma are in his book "Handbook for self-healing". I think it would be worth at least having a telephone lesson or two with him.

best wishes,
sorrisi
Hello Joyonna
I'm only a beginner in eye-training, but I can tell you, that relaxing and resting your eyes (in the first place of course with palming) always helps.
Last week I ' ve made an experience, which I want to tell you - perhaps it can also give you some help.
I had a post-operative examination (after retinal detachment) that day and I thought: "Today I forget about eye-trainig exercises and just give my eyes a good rest; just let my vision be as 'blurry' as it will be, not trying to see anything clearly - without glasses or contact lenses -, just relax."
To my surprise, my vision become much clearer and as I felt my eye-muscles relaxing, I could lower the tension even more by enjoying the feeling and 'let me be taken away' to even deeper relaxation not only of the eyes, but of the whole body.
I practised this 'new way of seeing' for about 1 hour, before I entered the clinic for the examination, and then the pressure of my eye was very low, only 10 (all the other times it was 15/16).
Since then, I ' m trying to make that kind of seeing a habit and when I feel that my eyes are really relaxed, I try to focuss only small points to see them clearly. (and of course, I continue my exercises...)
Thank you, sorrisiblue and Nini, for the thoughtful replies and suggestions.

Sorrisi, the flashlight is a clever idea (I didn't try a candle - the flashlight seemed safer). I will try waving my hands when I'm at the computer whenever I can.

Yes, that's true. I am most thankful I found out early. I've been working on it over six months (in fact two years) and I hope it is getting better. The doctor I am going to now is very helpful in that he will lower my prescription whenever I need it. He has me do my own exercises at home and come see him every few months - it would be too expensive otherwise. He isn't Bates method, but he's in agreement with anything that will help regain vision - although I don't know if he has any experience with glaucoma - he generally works mostly with children.

I'll have to look up Meir Schneider- I've heard of him but don't know anything about him or his books or telephone lessons. I imagine he charges a lot anyway.....
Thanks again very much - I'll stop by your blog when I get a chance Smile

Oh Nini, my great sympathies on your eye and the detached retina. I hope you have a lot more improvement. Wow! that worked well for you - that was very interesting. Every time I tried letting the blur be blur I apparently didn't quite let it be so, and never had that kind of experience. I will have to try it again with perhaps a different way of thinking about it. I am trying a lot more to really look at small points - it does seem to be helping. Thanks again to you, too.

Best wishes to you both - I hope your vision will keep improving - and I surely do hope I can avoid glaucoma.
Joyonna Wrote:I will have to try it again with perhaps a different way of thinking about it.

I'm really sorry it didn't work for you the same way, but I'm sure, you are right about the way of thinking - there is definitely a connection between the state of the mind and the eyes.
My 'weak point' , which causes strain and stress in my mind - as in my eyes - is, that I always fight against the 'blurr'; that is to get everything organized and under control, to fit in the pattern or frame of my life; it doesn't have to be all perfect but at least I have to be sure, that I can handle the situation. I find it difficult to let the situation just be as it is and not worry about problems, for which there is no solution possible at the moment and to concentrate only in what happens here and now (concentrate in a small point of life). It therefore helps (my vision and my state of mind) when I just try to remember the way I looked at the world as it is when I was a child - not always comparing it at once with the world as it should be in my eyes. When I remember how I child can get 'lost' completely in a momentary situation and try to find the same 'look', I can really feel a burden falling from mind and eyes and feel relaxation (and improved vision) at once.
Perhaps you should concentrate on finding out, which is your 'weak point', what stresses your mind and prevents you eyes to get full relaxation.
I hope you can find your way to avoid glaucoma. My mother is having that problem too (she is not short sighted); I showed her how to palm and she is doing it often (more often than I do) and finds that it helps her.

Perfect Sight Without Glasses free download