MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The Dominant Eye

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dominant Eye
Well today my day included a lot of far focusing:
mostly it included looking at projection screens from a far distance without my glasses.
After a certain long period of time I found out that my "dominant" eye was starting to hurt and it was very
noticeable whenever I turned my eyes to a different location to look at something different.

Is it only myopes that have dominant eyes or do people with good eyesight also have them?
Why does the certain eye become the domiant one?
How do you get a balance between the two eyes again and restore the natural balance?
Normally I would expect BOTH eyes to have a noticeable amound of strain but why does only my dominant eye
get strain?

Also, please note, for some reason my dominant eye is the eye with better eyesight.
Why is this so?
Aura Wrote:Well today my day included a lot of far focusing: mostly it included looking at projection screens from a far distance without my glasses. After a certain long period of time I found out that my "dominant" eye was starting to hurt and it was very noticeable whenever I turned my eyes to a different location to look at something different.
Is it only myopes that have dominant eyes or do people with good eyesight also have them?
Why does the certain eye become the domiant one?
How do you get a balance between the two eyes again and restore the natural balance?
Normally I would expect BOTH eyes to have a noticeable amound of strain but why does only my dominant eye get strain?
Also, please note, for some reason my dominant eye is the eye with better eyesight. Why is this so?
Facts and Opinions Based on Facts:
People with good eyesight do have one eye dominant - and it is always the better eye, which makes perfect sense. I am right hand dominant ('right-handed') because the right hand works better, stronger, faster, than the left. Is it good to be right-handed rather than ambidextrous? Well, it makes decision making quicker if I don't have to wonder which hand to use in most situations.
One eye becomes dominant for the same reason one hand becomes dominant. One difference between eye dominance and handedness is that my left hand is still a very active participant in many hand activities - they work well together; however in the myopic individual the two eyes do not work well together.
One way to develop balance in dominance between the eyes is to do the Bates Long Swing while consciously shifting the attention from one eye to the other (look left while turning left, look right while turning right; then look right while turning left and look left while turning right; then look straight together while turning left and right).
Most likely you only feel strain in your dominant eye because your non-dominant eye is being completely submissive and unused, never taking the lead.
Your better eye should be your dominant eye. It just shouldn't be a control freak about it.
Your explanation makes perfect sense but one thing that I am sill wondering about is that I read numerous times that the majority of myopes have their weaker eye with the worse vision as their dominant eye......
Is this simply false or just different opinions that haven't been confirmed as "correct"?
Aura Wrote:Your explanation makes perfect sense but one thing that I am sill wondering about is that I read numerous times that the majority of myopes have their weaker eye with the worse vision as their dominant eye...... Is this simply false or just different opinions that haven't been confirmed as "correct"?
I've seen that same fact about Ocular Dominance in a wikipedia entry recently. A weird mystery, right? But based on my experience, knowledge and investigation, I believe there is a secret that the opticians are ignoring: Before those myopes get their lenses I will wager they are better eye dominant, just like normal sighted people. The opticians are probably overprescribing the worse eye correction.
It appears from my interviews of people that, yes, for those myopes who have worn their lenses constantly, their worse eye has become dominant. Or at least it is dominant when they check dominance while wearing the lenses. I haven't yet confirmed whether their better eye would be dominant without their lenses. I doubt it - eye dominance is probably similar to handedness - hard to change quickly.
Opticians should probably be prescribing 20/20 for the better eye and 20/19 for the worse. And then tell the myopes to only wear the lenses when safety is a concern or when otherwise absolutely necessary. And then explain how the visual system works (not just the eyeball), the Bates Methods, and all the other things we discuss on this website and forum. But they don't. That's just crazy talk to them.
By overprescribing the lens power they are probably confusing the minds of myopes into thinking the worse eye is better, and their dominance switches. No wonder their eyesight continues to degrade year after year until it reaches some bottom point common denominator. Small wonder that myopia has become an epidemic over the past 50-100 years. Conventional opticians are going about this bass-ackwards and thoughtlessly.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now