MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Flickering Images - Good or Bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flickering Images - Good or Bad?
I've been doing the Bates Method for roughly 2 weeks, on average about an hour a day. I try to stay off my glasses/contacts as much as I can, and I find that is really reducing the strain a lot. It's probably too early, but I have not had any clear flashes or consciously noticed my vision improving.

However, one thing I'm curious about: Now when I do long swings [especially outside where it's bright] I notice that everything that is moving "flickers". They seem to pop out more individually and move almost as if they are vibrating. If it makes any sense, it's sort of like looking through a gelatin screen.

Just wondering - is this supposed to happen? Does this mean my vision is getting better...or even worse? Any thoughts?
Hi finixfrost,

As I mentioned to Pikachu recently, what you're sensing is probably more of a motor reflex. It usually comes on at a certain tempo or speed range when swinging the head, but you're not seeing it when you stop - ?

We're creatures with foveated vision; our eyes are totally geared to shift and fixate all day long, shift and fixate, shift and fixate, shift and fixate.... When we're practicing swinging, we can at certain speeds send mixed messages to the brain, and the eyes will still attempt to fixate on things even if for only a fraction of a second, in a rapid fire mode or reflex. The vistibular, optokinetic, saccadic systems can simply get overstimulated in an attempt to compensate for the head movement and visual input. I remember it happening to me long ago, like it was a flutter of shifts, and I could lock into that rhythm just to get the strange effect.

I don't think it's a sign of either better or worse vision. The important thing to assess is how do you feel after swinging - do your nerves and any associated tension feel any bit of relief? The long swing is aimed at calming our nerves, and we should really be paying little attention to what we are seeing, other than noticing oppositional movement.
finixrost, when you talked about vibrating it made me think of the pulsing Universal Swing where everything seems to be vibrating, but this only happens for me when I'm still and looking with central fixation, not when doing the Long Swing. I wouldn't obsess too much about whether it's good or bad either, just notice if my eyes feel relaxed or strained, like arocarty said, and let that be my guide.
@Nancy: I've been around various vision groups for a number of years, and you are really the first person I've heard who is aware of the universal swing, as I have been for some years. Makes me feel much better, not like such a lunatic any more. Unless, perhaps, the white coats are coming after both of us :o
arocarty, I knew I liked you! I've found your responses thoughtful, helpful, and thorough. I think those of us who are aware of the universal swing are paying close attention to their present visual experience (for me, not all of the time yet). This is not that common in this end-gaining culture.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now