MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Is there a specific height that Snellen should be posted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a specific height that Snellen should be posted?
Did Dr. Bates specify the height at which the Snellen should be posted? Just curious, because I think it is important.
This is interesting for me ,too.I didn't find anything in the book. As far as I know, everything we look at should be at eye level, including the test card. If it's not, the central fixation is difficult.
I'm going to order the magazines - probably David's e-book. I think the Snellen should be posted higher than normal for a couple of reasons:
1. When Dr. Bates was working in the public schools, I imagine he would have posted the Snellen higher than normal so that everyone could see it.
2. I believe adults with nearsightedness are misoriented visually - constantly pointing themselves below what is normal for their height. This would result from being 'stunted' visually when they were children and they were still developing physically. Posting the Snellen above eye level (among other things) might help them to gradually raise their visual plane. For instance, if you read jiminos' recent entries about regaining his distance vision, he wrote about constantly looking at the horizon while driving. Other accounts (one in my signature for Dr. Paul Lowinger) have similar descriptions of looking above normal. My own included. My mother describes checking her eyesight by looking for birds in treetops. My friend checks his by reading the numbers on the psalm board which is posted high for the congregation.
I think the charts are usually at eye level although I have bee to some doctors where the chart was higher. The question I have is how far away are you supposed to stand? I have an astigmatism if that matters. I can see pretty clearly close to me but not far away.
Practice at a distance where you can see the top part of the chart without too much trouble. If the whole thing is a total straining blur because you're too far away, you're not doing yourself any good. I avoided doing chart work for years because if I stood farther away than a foot I could barely see the top letter, until I somehow realized it was OK to have it closer. I moved it out as my vision improved, and now do it from different distances.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now