Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathing and your mind
Thanks for the comments.

Sean, I'm glad it sends the message that we really do have control of our vision. And we do. We make it far more complex than it needs to be sometimes, with too many psychological theories. I think it's useful to examine your thoughts, but only if you can observe the mind from the perspective, even just for a moment, of being physically present, because you're sort of rooted outside of it and can actually see it, in contrast to the way you are swarmed and influenced by the mind in your act of trying to observe it from within, if that makes sense.

And I concur that even just the act of conscious breathing can have an effect on vision without really doing anything else. Have you noticed that when you concentrate on your breathing and your body, being "comfortable in your own skin" for a moment, tension starts to melt away? And that some of your muscles get tense only when your inner dialogue is running?

Focusing on the breath is so easy to do that you can focus on it and stop your mind in just a moment, because I think we all already stop it for a moment occasionally, unless my estimate is wrong. It might not last long, and it might not go away completely at first, but the important thing is to have your breath as the loudest sound within you. If your mind is chattering more quietly than your breath, it should go away entirely in a moment.

And to draw an analogy, it's the same with the way you see. Even if you don't see what you're looking at perfectly, you still can note that you see what you're looking at better than a moment ago, and that when you look at a new object, you see it better than you did a moment ago as well, just by the fact that you weren't looking at it before. So each time you look at a new small area, you see more details that you didn't see when you weren't looking at it, which is a clear message that you see best what you're looking at, and you're encouraged to keep looking directly at things all the time with the belief that you will see more, if not immediately then within a second or two.

I think the above is a better way than the old method of noticing that you see the previous point worse, because in seeing the previous point worse you end up actually trying to see it better in an attempt to prove that you can't see it as well, which is a huge conflict, because you have to also deal with your memory of looking at it a moment ago in trying to determine whether it's actually less clear now. And obviously people with normal vision don't think about whether they see the previous point worse, so it's pretty questionable on that basis alone.
Site Administrator

"Half of our funny, heathen lives, we are bent double to gather things we have tossed away." - George Meredith

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now

Messages In This Thread
Breathing and your mind - by David - 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by David - 09-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by DaniFixe - 09-17-2011, 03:42 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by Nancy - 09-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by sean - 09-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by David - 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM