Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathing and your mind
David wrote:
Quote:You don't have to even try to silence your mind when focusing on your breath. Your mind just stops when you stop participating in your mind and direct your attention elsewhere.

In the Book, The Tao of Natural Breathing, it talks about and really emphasizes the point that one is to pay attention to one's breath, without interferring or trying to control it. This is something that can be difficult for me at times. I think this feeling of controlling my breath too much comes from the fact that I'm not actually paying enough attention to the entire process of breathing. It becomes difficult to notice the breath at the top and bottom of the inhalation and exhalation when the breath gets quieter and softer. At those times, I think it is still important to focus in on all sensory perceptions including the heat of the air, the feeling of the chest expanding or contracting, the sound as is diminishes. Through that kind of sensing, one can get very in tune with one's own physicality.
Also, I have recently starting working on focusing on the breath while palming and I found that this helps me get away from the distraction of trying to figure out how to perfectly place my palms over my eyes. When I try to be perfect like that, I notice a big feeling of this obsessive compulsive tendency for perfection arising.

Another from David:
Quote:Being physically present means that you notice your own few thoughts, as language or emotions, as something separate from what you are as a physical presence.

When I am paying attention to my breath I notice when I get lost in thoughts. But, the only time I notice it is not when I'm absorbed in it, but when I get a sense of "Oh yeah! I forgot about my breath!" And then I realize what I've been doing and thinking. I can tell if I let that thought go too far to the point of it no longer being of much benefit. I think there is a lot of merit in thinking, and that it can be very useful, but that it should be kept under control and silenced when WE want it to stop, or when we want to move on to something else. Moving on to another thought or back to present moment, for me at least, is a great feeling of letting go at the appropriate time and it seems to be very correlated with feeling when to shift your gaze at the appropriate time.

Quote:in seeing the previous point worse you end up actually trying to see it better in an attempt to prove that you can't see it as well, which is a huge conflict, because you have to also deal with your memory of looking at it a moment ago in trying to determine whether it's actually less clear now. And obviously people with normal vision don't think about whether they see the previous point worse, so it's pretty questionable on that basis alone.

So, could you say that when you move your attention to another point, it's as if you're so absorbed in this new point, in the new details, that you don't have to try to forget about the other point (like not trying to stop thinking but instead diverting attention to breath which quiets the mind indirectly), that the other point should be out of sight out of mind, so to say. This seems like it would be definitely getting back to this present moment stuff, because, when you are totally absorbed in the new details of the new point or attention spot, then you have forgotten about the past mostly and are just observing what is really in your view.

Okay last one:

Quote:What I'm getting at is people with vision problems are consumed by their thoughts and have less grounding in being physically here, both themselves physically and other things that they can sense by seeing, hearing, etc. Virtually everyone has this problem somewhat, but I think people with blurry vision have it to a greater degree, or more constantly, not being comfortable in their own skin and what's around them, and having to escape to their thoughts.

Wouldn't you say that thinking has to be of some value? Like, I guess we could be totally present almost all the time, but then our life would be completely different and there would less planning and structure, more animalistic. I feel like some thinking is useful, but that each person needs to learn when to put a cap on their thoughts, at the point when they become more of a hindrance than a help.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now

Messages In This Thread
Breathing and your mind - by David - 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by David - 09-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by DaniFixe - 09-17-2011, 03:42 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by Nancy - 09-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by sean - 09-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by David - 09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by fuoco - 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by otto - 09-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by Nancy - 09-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Re: Breathing and your mind - by David - 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM