MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Remember / imagine whole street

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember / imagine whole street
Hi, guys!

As I was reading Bates book (chapter XIV - Imagination as an aid to vision) interesting idea came to me... :Smile

First, I want quote some things from that chapter:
Quote:WE see very largely with the mind, and only partly with the eyes.
Persons with normal vision use their memory, or imagination, as an aid to sight;...

Quote:...and since a perfect imagination is impossible without perfect relaxation, a perfect imagination not only corrects the false interpretation of the retinal image, but corrects the error of refraction.
Quote:Imagination is closely allied to memory, although distinct from it. Imagination depends upon the memory, because a thing can be imagined only as well as it can be remembered. You cannot imagine a sunset unless you have seen one;...

If I want to relax my eyes or mind, I go outside for walk. I live in city called JÅ«rmala (you can read about it if interested in wikipedia: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C5%ABrmala">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C5%ABrmala</a><!-- m -->). I quite often go for walk in "Jomas street" which is long, (>1km) straight street with many details (shops, signs, restaurants etc) in it. Also quite colorful.
To get some impression check this picture: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://v3.nonxt1.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/11561394.jpg?redirect_counter=1">http://v3.nonxt1.c.bigcache.googleapis. ... _counter=1</a><!-- m -->

I live like 5-7min away from it. And beach is about 15min away from my home. Sometimes I wake up really fast like 5.30AM or something, and if go to Jomas street there is no people. Just many buildings, signs etc.

I think I could use this as a tool for my eyesight improvement by memorizing and/or imagining all the details while I slowly walk towards the street's end.
"Imagination depends upon the memory, because a thing can be imagined only as well as it can be remembered. You cannot imagine a sunset unless you have seen one" ---> Therefore I should get up early (no people in street) and go as close as I need for all details, so I could them memorize exactly as they are; probably I will use glasses too sometimes in order to see clearly some things).
So the next time I'm going even if I don't anything more than 1 foot away, I know what there is (memorized) and could imagine it.

I hope you understand what I meant. Hopefully. Sorry for my weak English writing skills.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this??
I believe I understand properly what you are saying.

As long as you don't strain in imagining these details when you try to recall them, it sounds fine. For instance, imagine one part of a sign at a time in a relaxed manner. Like a part of a letter for example. Because, remember you want to be careful to see by looking with interest at the details.

This is a link to a nice video showing shifting. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2410">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2410</a><!-- l -->

When you watch it, notice the eye movement of the guy who had glasses and wasn't the pro. His eyes were all over the place, hardly taking in any one thing. The guy with good shifting on the other hand, was looking at the ball (all of this with interest), then the area around his opponent in a calculated way, then the foot, then the thighs, and so on. It was all happening subconsciously for him, but that is an example of the periphery and macula being used together with the brain in perfect harmony.

I think Bates said that there is actually more strain when an eye slowly moves to a spot rather than jumping to a specific spot (or more spots) while it moves. Take this video as another example. Ronaldo's eyes "clicked" (jumped) to a specific spot, stayed there just long enough to get the info needed, and moved to the next spot. His opponent tried to keep his eyes on the ball and had his eyes just going crazy, hardly taking in a spot at all.

So, remember this while imagining the scene (or taking it in). Don't try to get the whole big picture in one look, even if you could.

So overall, I'd say go ahead, try it out, and see how it goes.

TEST YOUR VISION AT HOME!
- Free Eye Chart PDFs

• 20 ft, 10 ft, and Near Vision Charts
  • Letters Calibrated to Correct Printed Size
Download Now