MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Seeing far after hrs of close-up work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeing far after hrs of close-up work
Just wanted to ask a question here. My vision is perfect in both eyes up close, but of course I have blurry farsighted vision. After reading something up close for a few hrs(on the computer or a book), my farsight vision becomes much more blurry than its "normal" blurry state. Eventually, however, it will get better with time(to my "normal", less blurry state).

My question is, if someone with perfect vision does nearsighted reading for a few hrs, does their farsight vision still remain perfect IMMEDIATELY after the nearsighted reading? Or does their vision need time to adjust as well? In other words, am I doing something while reading(even though its perfectly clear to me) that's wrong?

Is it normal for vision to take awhile to focus back to farsight after long hours of nearsight?

I'm assuming it's something I'm doing...
Hi Ben,

That's a real good question. Bates contended that myopes, although they see better at the nearpoint, never see as perfectly as the person with normal sight does. So if you support that view, than yes, you are making some kind of effort, unknowingly at the nearpoint (in this case, while reading). It may be subtle, and subconscious, but enough to bleed over when you focus far. The more you read, the more you reinforce it, the more it can impact vision at all distances. It is important to practice all the same good visual habits while working up close - shifting on small points, blinking frequently, taking frequent breaks. Don't read for hours straight, take a few minutes every 10 or 15 minutes, stretch, look into the distance, and breath, shift on objects/parts of objects, blink, and rest the eyes by closing or palming. The longer you go without a break, the more tension can mount in the whole body.
Do you notice oppositional movement when you read? Do you see halos? Do you shift on small parts of the letters, as opposed to trying to see a whole letter in one glance?
Bates teaches people to read fine and microscopic print with relaxation. When done correct it will improve the vision at close and far distances. Do it without glasses. Directions are in his Better Eyesight Magazines. Arocarty's advice on shifting on small parts is good, works. Try it on other small objects; a flower, stone up close. Then try that on distant objects.

Also; after reading, when you look to the distance, avoid squinting. Shift on objects, blink, relax.
Ben, an additional comment on your post: I've read in several of the vision books, and my own experience supports it, that the better your vision, the more easily and quickly you can switch between seeing near and seeing far. This is one reason NVI has been such an exercise in patience for me. I am seeing myself being able to see in the distance relatively clearly sooner than I used to, but I know that most people who have never worn strong minus glasses can see clearly looking in the distance right away. This frustrates me, pushing all my buttons about being the "slow student", and the only remedy for this is to keep practicing!
Nancy, right.
Maybe some practice shifting on objects close and far, intermingled with palming will help speed it up.
Clark, thanks and I agree. I am already doing this some, not as regularly as I could be.
@Nancy: I feel the same way about being the slow student. It's doubly frustrating in that I have learned very quickly in most subjects (academic and otherwise), but in vision improvement, I'm that kid who just doesn't get it!

Regarding looking up from reading, I think it's worth mentioning that to even have a relatively quick transition from blur to clarity is something to be happy about. For me, the distance is a blurry blob, and if I that blob can somehow turn into something halfway comprehensible in ten minutes, I know I've accomplished something. So it's all relative I guess.

I think it helps with the frustration sometimes to think of how much better off you are than those behind you. It's a bit counter-intuitive (since generally we want to compare to those ahead of us!), but I suppose vision improvement is counter-intuitive anyway. For a slow student like myself, I find it calming to remind myself that I should be thankful that I found the Bates method in the first place. There are millions of people out there who have vision problems and never find out that there is an alternative to glasses, contacts, and laser. In fact, these people typically consider those three things to be the alternatives themselves! For me, this kind of thankfulness helps me along when I'm not feeling very motivated.

A little off-topic, but I wanted to throw in my two cents. Smile
Thanks for all the information/advice. I figured it was something I am doing. Just a couple folluwup questions.

Arocarty, what do you mean by halos? I don't see halos but sometimes(while looking at a the computer screen) I tend to see blotches(in my peripheral vision) on the screen around where I am looking. Its REALLY faint, but I sometimes see the WHITE background that surrounds the BLACK font, I start to have smudges/blotches(I don't know if that's the right words, it kind of flickers/flashes). Could this be after-images of the text that I am reading? If so, I know after-images are an indicator of strain.

Secondly, I just got a new job, and as a new hire(computer work), it has been a little slow to get work assigned. I've noticed when I am busy/interactive with the computer screen, my eyes don't bother me as much(if at all). But when its slow, and I can barely find something to do but skim some readings, I can feel my eyes start to strain. Is there something to this?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
If J understand correctly, you're saying that your eyes feel strained when you skim. I had taken a speed reading course, and basically you are learning how to lock your eyes on the center of the page and grab all the information in half a second or faster before going to the next page. I know from that class at least two pupils who weren't wearing glasses before starting, both got up to 30,000+ words per minute with reasonable comprehension, but then several months later, one developed myopia, and the other developed hyperopia. I don't know how related that was, but it definitely caused strain to be sure, because the eyes weren't shifting like they should, and you were taught to see everything, which is not central fixation. Also, I believe the teacher wore contacts (hmmm). An example the teacher used was saying that when you look at a tree, you see the whole tree, not just a leaf. But we know that you really should be seeing just that leaf, and moving from one to another to build a picture of the tree. So my point is, skimming or speed reading is inherently not friendly to the eyes, and it is best to avoid it whenever possible.
Interest is a big factor in vision -- if you're bored, just aiming your gaze at something but not really caring if you see it or not, it's not good for the visual system. This is the first thing I thought of when you said there are times when you can barely find something to do. When there's an assigned task you want to complete successfully, you're looking with more attention.
Nancy, you remember everything. Yeah I remember now; Bates teachers state that reading, typing or doing boring eye work causes the mind to drift, diffuse, eyes and mind strain.

I am still working on the rest of that PDF chapter that teaches the whole 'secret switching' method. So darn busy, taking forever but when I get it done will post on here. Using a cartoon cat to teach it!

Looking close at the computer causes more tension, slow divergence, blur. I been reaidgn posture, computer eyesight, neck tension posts on the Internet;

Here's a list;

Computer Stress Checklist:

Computer visual stress may underlie many direct and indirect symptoms. Eyestrain is a common direct symptom, while the need for shifts in posture and muscular strain resulting from poorly arranged work stations cause eye problems indirectly and other physical problems directly.

Direct Computer Stress Symptoms

headaches while doing or following computer use
irritated and/or dry eyes
blurred vision
slow refocusing when looking from screen to distance objects
frequently losing place when moving eyes between copy and the screen
difficulty seeing clearly at a distance after prolonged computer use
occasional doubling of vision
changes in color perception
changes in glasses prescription

Other Computer Stress Symptoms

neck or shoulder tension and pain
back pain
pain in arms, wrists, or shoulders when working on the computer
lowered visual efficiency and more frequent errors
Ben Wrote:Arocarty, what do you mean by halos? I don't see halos but sometimes(while looking at a the computer screen) I tend to see blotches(in my peripheral vision) on the screen around where I am looking. Its REALLY faint, but I sometimes see the WHITE background that surrounds the BLACK font, I start to have smudges/blotches(I don't know if that's the right words, it kind of flickers/flashes). Could this be after-images of the text that I am reading? If so, I know after-images are an indicator of strain.

Hi Ben,

Halos are an illusionary effect of printed letters, lines and other characters, usually black on a white background. The spaces between letters, inside the opening of letters, and and between lines appear whiter than the background. People with normal sight see these illusions, people with refractive error can see them too, but with less intensity or brightness. The better you can see, or imagine them, the blacker/better the characters will appear as well. To me, on the computer, I see a background line of white on each line, whiter than the surrounding page. It extends out before the line, and beyond the line. When I remember to keep conscious of it, I feel much more relaxed while reading, not straining to see the letters. Bates wrote about these illusions in his books, and in several magazines. From the Mar '25 BEM:

"HALOS. For example, persons with good sight appear to see the white spaces between the lines of fine print to be whiter than the margin of the page. It can be demonstrated that this is an illusion. We do not see illusions; we only imagine them. When the white spaces between the lines appear whiter than the margin of the page, we call these white spaces halos. Most of us believe we see them, and it is very difficult for many people to realize that the halos are not seen, but only imagined. The halos might be called the connecting link between imagination and sight. To see the halos is to improve the imagination, and the vision for the letters is also improved. One can improve the vision for reading not by looking at the letters, but by improving the imagination of the halos. To look at the letters very soon brings on a strain, with imperfect sight. To look at the white spaces and to improve their whiteness, is a benefit to the imagination and to the vision. One cannot read fine print at all unless the halos are imagined. By practice one becomes able to imagine or to see the halos more perfectly—the better the imagination, the better the sight."

From Mar. 1924 BEM:

"HALOS.—When the sight is normal and when one regards a letter of the Snellen Card with a white center, the white part of the letter appears whiter than it really is and whiter than the rest of the card. I use the word Halos for this illusion. This is an illusion which can be demonstrated quite readily by covering over the black part of a letter with a screen with an opening slightly smaller than the white part of the letter, which permits the center of the letter to be observed. When this is done the white center of the letter is the same shade of whiteness as the rest of the card. Some people can imagine the illusion when it is described to them. When reading fine print the spaces between the lines appear whiter than the rest of the card, but only when the vision is good. As a general rule when one can imagine these white spaces between the lines are whiter than the rest of the card, the black appears more perfectly black and the letters can be read with normal vision. Halos are imagined, not seen. Imagination of the illusion of the Halos is a quick cure of myopia and astigmatism, as well as other cases of imperfect sight.

I am annoyed with myself when I realize how many years it required before I had brains enough to notice the Halos. It seems to me that I must have been awfully stupid to have failed to have noticed them for such a long time. All persons who have normal sight are always able to demonstrate the Halos. All persons with imperfect sight are cured, temporarily or permanently, when they become able to imagine the Halos."
@arocarty

You're a boss man, I just noticed this halo stuff today wowwww its cool.
Arocarty, I think I might know what you are talking about. I am taking breaks when I am reading(looking at distant objects/palming/closing/etc.) and I notice that when I look back at the screen, the black letters are a lot more black than they were before, I'll attempt to imagine the halo effect and see what that does.

Last(but not least) question, which is somewhat unrelated to the original topic. I have noticed(due to the pasty white screen, pasty white walls, and pasty white EVERYTHING) that I can more easily recognized the floaties(or squigglies, whatever they are called) in my eyes because of the lack of textures in the work place. I faintly remember reading something about floaties(been a bit since I have read Bates literature), but is there a way to get rid of them? My hunch is that if so, it probably has to do with the same steps of getting normal vision back.
Ben, do a search on "floaters" which is what most people call them. Bates said they're caused by strain, and the more you worry about them the worse they'll get, and if you ignore them they won't be much of a problem. I've read that they are congealed clumps in the vitreous fluid that forms most of the eyeball, and what you see is the shadow they throw on the retina. I've also heard they are related to toxins in the diet or environment, so stay as healthy overall as you can, including clean air and water. They are much more common with myopia. I used to have a big amoeba-like blob floating around my right field of vision, which broke apart a few years ago, with the remaining pieces and threads slowly dissipating, and many times I don't see it at all. Yes, Bates practices will help.

5 TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR VISION IMMEDIATELY!

Quickly prove to yourself that vision improvement is possible, with this free PDF download.

Download Now